• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Potential Influx of New Members

If the newbs deserve the business they'll get the business. I don't guess I need someone deciding for me before the fact. If someone wants to explain to me why these statements are wrongheaded I'm willing to listen. If you can't explain in fifty words or less don't bother. More than that and I'll just figure your full of shit as usual.

NA
I agree with Neal 100%.

I don't agree with much of what Gonz posted. Who cares where who "came from."

If someone comes here from another board with the explanation that "XXX board has turned to $hit since the guy with the bad hair plugs bought it" then they're okay in my book!. :laugh:

Doesn't it seem we are putting the cart before the horse so to speak? I think this place has handled new members just fine, no matter if they come all at once or every now and then. I don't think we need a thread laying out how we are going to react to a bunch of new members who don't yet exist. Of course, imho....

Wilkey, I expected better reading comprehension skills from you. If you'll re-read what I wrote, I said that all rules will still apply, however perhaps we need not have a pile-on of large proportions telling someone how they failed.

It's actually a little funny to read this thread, see one person misinterpret the first post, then subsequent people read the misinterpretation and go from there. It's like that pass the message game we used to play in first grade.

And Mike33, don't you have any recollection of when CF went down and a bunch of new folks signed up or came back? If you don't think we need a thread for something that hasn't happened yet, then fine. Take this as a suggestion on how we should be acting as a baseline regardless of what is happening out there.

Just in case, I'll say it again in bold print: All rules will of course apply to every new member that signs up, but perhaps we should consider how our responses to their minor failures look to a new member trying to find a fun and enjoyable place to hang out.

Rod, will you be able to handle all registering newcomers? It sounds like a large task to take one, though one that I am sure is appreciated by the members already here. :)

Not that I'm a fan of more hoops to jump through, but maybe the site could be set up in such a way that one can't even apply to be a new member until they've read the rules and agreed to abide by them, and/or made an introductory post, which only you could see and then move to the appropiate forum once everything was on the up and up?

I was just thinking something along those lines might help weed out the people just coming here, from the people wanting to be here and be part of the community. Just a thought.

If you'll re-read what I wrote, I said that all rules will still apply, however perhaps we need not have a pile-on of large proportions telling someone how they failed.

Where do you see this piling on? Do you have any links? You need proof to make a statement like that. Are you trying to change the way things are done around here?

lol.... just kidding, Bro.

I actually agree with you here. All the rules still apply, but it doesn't hurt to be nice sometimes.

-John

Wilkey, I expected better reading comprehension skills from you. If you'll re-read what I wrote, I said that all rules will still apply, however perhaps we need not have a pile-on of large proportions telling someone how they failed.
I understood you fine. This is not what I was speaking to and if you read what I wrote, you would have comprehended that. And I told you that I thought your idea was insufficient for handling the problems that might arise.

Instead of hitting back with a snide little crack like that, why not try to see if my comments had merit and respond to that? Honestly, Andy, if there's anything anyone should understand about me on this forum is that I work damn hard to understand what I read and then put some effort into a response. Please don't waste my time with petty little bait like that.

Let me put it simply: Rules in play or not, a massive influx of new members migrating over because they have had their homes taken away from them is not normal and being nice nice may ease their initial entry, but their resentment will eventually manifest. It will surface. I'm saying we don't just put on a happy face. If these are FOGs and experienced other members, they're going to want more than a smile and some slack.

I'm welcome to discussing this further. I'm also open to the possibility that my proposal is wrong or unacceptable. But I will not respond further to uncivil, disrespectful baiting. If you want to engage in that, then by all means. The thread is all yours.

Wilkey

As was told to me those many years ago. "We let you in, how much more slack do you want?"

As was told to me those many years ago. "We let you in, how much more slack do you want?"

and this too:

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

It will be really interesting to see how all of this will manifest within our tight, little community, after we beef up our defenses! ;)

I'm a firm believer that you must give respect first ... in order to recieve it. Just my 2 cents ...

I understood you fine. This is not what I was speaking to and if you read what I wrote, you would have comprehended that. And I told you that I thought your idea was insufficient for handling the problems that might arise.

Instead of hitting back with a snide little crack like that, why not try to see if my comments had merit and respond to that? Honestly, Andy, if there's anything anyone should understand about me on this forum is that I work damn hard to understand what I read and then put some effort into a response. Please don't waste my time with petty little bait like that.

Let me put it simply: Rules in play or not, a massive influx of new members migrating over because they have had their homes taken away from them is not normal and being nice nice may ease their initial entry, but their resentment will eventually manifest. It will surface. I'm saying we don't just put on a happy face. If these are FOGs and experienced other members, they're going to want more than a smile and some slack.

I'm welcome to discussing this further. I'm also open to the possibility that my proposal is wrong or unacceptable. But I will not respond further to uncivil, disrespectful baiting. If you want to engage in that, then by all means. The thread is all yours.

Wilkey

Okay gentlemen, since you are both younger than me apparently you didn't head the lessons from this organization!

Not a grateful1 type link :D

As for new members the rules in place should cover them well. Rude behavior of new members will be dealt the same way as always. Those that know how the game is played are welcomed and our community can only get better.

Well, there's a completely unnecessary shot across the bow. Honestly, I don't understand your concerns. The vetting process around here is very simple and straightforward. Telling the membership at large to play nice is a backhanded way of saying we don't normally, and that's not the case.

Folks will come and folks will go and asshats get fed to the wolves. It's worked for longer than you and I have been here and it works well. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. As someone already said; ".....it ain't broke, so don't try to fix it...."

One man's opinion - B.B.S.

Andy, if there's anything anyone should understand about me on this forum is that I work damn hard to understand what I read and then put some effort into a response. Please don't waste my time with petty little bait like that.
I did not see it as a bait. Everyone reads into things a little differently to others. If you wrote in laymen's English and not Prof English, we would all understand what you are saying. :laugh:

Well, there's a completely unnecessary shot across the bow. Honestly, I don't understand your concerns. The vetting process around here is very simple and straightforward. Telling the membership at large to play nice is a backhanded way of saying we don't normally, and that's not the case.

Folks will come and folks will go and asshats get fed to the wolves. It's worked for longer than you and I have been here and it works well. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. As someone already said; ".....it ain't broke, so don't try to fix it...."

One man's opinion - B.B.S.

Again...I did not see it as anything but a commentary comment.

I understand Andy's point and this thread is a clear example. One person thinks one thing and others pile on when we don't even know what Andy is really thinking when he stated the above to Wilkey.

Yes, things have always worked but then again, things can always be improved. The suggestion as I understand it was...If one person politely puts someone in his place, it doesn't require the masses to pile on, which is what usually happens. How the newb reacts to one correction will ultimately determine the outcome of his tenor at CP.

Brian

And Mike33, don't you have any recollection of when CF went down and a bunch of new folks signed up or came back? If you don't think we need a thread for something that hasn't happened yet, then fine. Take this as a suggestion on how we should be acting as a baseline regardless of what is happening out there.

And your point? Did CP suffer some sort of meltdown then that I wasn't aware of?

After Rod's announcement regarding those 4 other online cigar communities having been purchased, and the changes that would most likely happen at those communities, I considered a few things that we as Cigar Pass should keep in mind.

I won't be surprised at all in the coming months if there is a greater number of new members joining up, or returning, from those other communities. There's a good chance, as Rod alluded to, that members at those forums will not be happy with the change process or any interruptions caused by it, and may be looking for another online forum to spend their time and spread their knowledge.

When CF went down for a short period, there was a brief influx of new members that came over, and our reaction and acceptance of them was questionable in my opinion. There were people from that board who came here and were regarded with disdain because they were a "refugee", and some accused them (probably in jest) of using us for their "fix" until CF was back online.

I would really not like to see that happen, and would like these new members to have a chance to see what a great place this really is!

So here is what I propose to you all:

I do not think anyone should be exempt from the standard rules and ways things are done. Intros would be nice. Adherence to the B/S/T rules is absolute. Cuban Cigar forum rules still apply.

But! Let's try to be a little more easy going on our suggestive posts to these new members about the rules and how things are done around here. When someone just joins up and starts posting away without an intro, or doesn't take the time to read the BST rules, let's go easy on them and not pile on. Maybe just let one person mention it and see how it goes from there instead of 47 people posting on the thread letting the original poster know they failed. And finally, let's realize that some of these folks have probably been around the online communities longer than many of us. They won't be used to being the newbie again, and probably will be ultra-sensitive to any feedback.

One more thing: Stop laughing because you think I'm the last person who should be lecturing about having patience with newbies or rule-breakers! :sign:

Way too many words for the average ADD adult, Andy. However, I can guess that you're suggesting we play nice. Firm but fair. I'm all for that.

I made a suggestion a while back, and maybe it's a good time to bring it up. What about a 24 hour period where they can ONLY post in the intro forum?

Wilkey

Wilkey, I was not, nor have I ever, attempted to bait you. It's a little frustrating to me that many of you are assuming that I am calling for new members to be given some slack when and if they break the rules. I have not anywhere said that new members be given a free pass because of what is going on. What I have stated, several times now in fact, is that we need not pile on and harsh out on someone when they fail. Isn't one fog politely telling someone that they broke a rule enough?

I guess I also don't see what this big fireball is that you speak of. I don't understand what all this potential ugliness and friction is. If they want to vent about their prior home being destroyed how is that going to affect us? In what ways do you see potential issues? If you want them to integrate into our community and become part of what we have here, I do not believe segregating them into their own little sub-forum is going to accomplish much for that.

If you all think that by asking us to be respectful and polite about the way we handle someone who (with or without knowing it) breaks a rule is me asking the community to change the way we do things, then doesn't that in itself state something?

This is not my backhanded attempt at taking a shot at the community. If anyone feels that we always handle ourselves with gentleman-like manners when a new member makes a mistake then I believe you have missed alot. Unless replying with things like, "I got popcorn" or "For Christ's sake" is constructive criticism.

Regardless of anything thats transpired in this thread, I would like to point up to my post in this thread and say it was directed towards help alleviating a rush that may or may not happen.

As for how we play with people from other forums that may move over here...I see no reason why we should do anything different once they actually become members of the forums here. I know theres a notion that we can be hard on the newbies, especially ones that come over on these terms. However, I am fairly new around here and have been treated extremely well since I joined.

The onus is on them to play by our rules, not on us to be extra nice to them. If they don't want to do that, then maybe this isn't the place for them. I mean if your neighbor knocks on your door to introduce themselves and you invite them in but tell them they need to take off their shoes first, and they refuse...you may toss them out because of that. They knew that going in, why should you smile and let them get away with it at first, only to smack them down about it on their second visit?

I guess it falls into the Quality vs. Quantity issue. We didn't need anymore members before this consolidation happened, we don't need anymore now. If we do get more though, I'd rather they be quality guys, and I'd rather weed them out right away, maybe even before they decide to join.