• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pre-Embargo Henry Clay Diamontino

atuck

ANEJORE
Reaction score
I was going to save this smoke for a celebratory occasion, BUT, not the case here. This is a cheer me up get my mind the heck out of dodge smoke.

I have actually been thinking about this cigar ever since I got it. When I 1st got it I pulled the cap off so I could smell it and the glass tube broke. The smell was incredible. Of flowers and red wine. I just could not wait!

DSC01446.jpg

Today is the day!!

1st I get out the Cubita coffee and make a pot.

DSC01445.jpg

DSC01448.jpg

Still smells of flowers and red wine but not as strong, maybe I should have left it sealed.
As I light it the smell promises a good smoke ahead. It lit and burned perfectly the whole way.

DSC01451.jpg

The 1st 3rd of the cigar I got a lot of earth, cedar, leather and wood. Very pleasant. The ash held firm but took on a form of its own. As I got into the 2nd 3rd of the cigar I got whiffs of nutmeg with a floral but slighly tart flavor. As I got into , maybe, the 3rd 1/4 of the cigar I got tastes of strong pepper with strong hints of bellpepper. Getting into the nub stage of the cigar it became very complex. Boasting a vegetal tone with hints of espresso, dark chocolate and floral notes as well.

I smoked it until it burned my fingers and lips. Wish it could have lasted longer.

DSC01453.jpg

I have another one, that hasn't been opened, that I will try in a few months. Hopefully for a fun occasion.

Even though I liked this cigar and certainly appreciated the opportunity to smoke it I would only give it maybe a 7.

Excellent review, Alan! Sorry it wasn't on better circumstances. Sounds like an incredible experience. :thumbs:

Great review of a rare cigar! Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Keep your head up! :thumbs:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. From your review, I get the impression that there's no such thing as excessive aging. How would you compare this smoke with more current vintages?

Wow, the age of this cigar amazes a noob like me...I didn't realize they would even keep that long.

What an incredible story! Thanks for the review!

Got a question about it, though... Today, such a well-preserved cigar is obviously a very rare commodity. There's no telling what it may be worth in today's post-embargo market. But when it was made, there was of course no embargo nor even the hint of one to come. My question then is - was it a highly-desirable smoke even when it was new? Did it command a high price in the late-40s, or was it just a decent smoke that anyone would buy for a couple dollars?

Atuck,
Awesome review!
How did you happen to come across a vintage like that?
MrTapes

Great review! Thanks Alan