• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Preferred Humidity Percentage

What percentage do you keep your humidor?

• 65%

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • 70%

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
I like to keep my rh around 68 - 70 and I don't have any problems at all. They burn great and I have no splitting problems and most of all, they taste great too.... :D

63% to 65% is what i aim for...and maintain most of the year.for about 6 weeks in the summer(the non heating season up here by the north pole) i have a devil of a time keeping it down.good ole vern...tried 65% climmax beads this summer...worked ok.about 67% all summer...friends had a tough time keeping theirs below 72% or 73% this year.thanks vern . for those out there with habanos at 70%...how do you draw through them and how can you keep em lit????????even '97 and '98 smokes draw tight at 67% humidity.

derrek :)

I keep my coolerdors at 65-67% (not intentionally, they just stay that way) and I find that nearly everything I order smokes better after they've been stored for a week or ten days.
My one desktop is about the same, the other (with a non-pg hydro) stays at about 70. Sticks from either one smoke great, but I still like the mid-60's for long-term storage.
My .02 :D

I have one cooler at 70%, only full boxes in it, long term storage. The other coolers and desktops are at 65%. The sticks I plan on smoking soon are in a dry travel humi, so everything I'm smoking is 65% or less. Ditto what Kenny said about foots, and cracks. You'll find that most shops in Europe store between 60% & 65%. It's all a matter of personal preference, if your sticks are smoking good for you it must be the right %. ;)

I like my cigars around 70%. I really like a loose drawing cigar up around this humidity, as it seems to me to make for a great smoke the entire life of the cigar.

Just my $0.02 worth.

ALostTexan

Ditto on the 68% :D You gotta love those climmax beads from ol Vern the museum grade humidity expert ;)

Great input everyone! I really appreciate it. I've been keeping my main humi at a steady 68% and everything has been smoking great so I think I'll try the Climmax 65%.

I can't tell what humidity my humi is at because my hygrometer sucks :(
I'll be switching to a digital meter very soon :D Right now I am using 65% climmax so I assume that it's at 65% ??? I still use the foam humidifier as well, I'm not sure how they work together or if I should even be doing that in the first place. My stogies are usually in good condition so I guess it's not a real problem just something I would like to have more control over.

Any thoughts on a particular digital hygrometer, or are they all pretty much the same?

Radio Shak. Cheap and they work. You will probably have to calibrate it but that is easy too. There are a lot of sites that tell you how depending on the model you get.

Thanks SD I'll check it out. :thumbs: It seems like a lot of people have trouble with accurate readings.

How accurate is it to see what the national weather service says the relative humidity is in your area?

And then put your Hygrometer outside for awhile, and then adjust based on the reading??

I guess if you have a lot of faith in your weatherman......
shocked.gif
and a lot of patients......
reading.gif
and don't mind it still being wrong.
superbiggrin.gif

Ludwig said:
How accurate is it to see what the national weather service says the relative humidity is in your area?

And then put your Hygrometer outside for awhile, and then adjust based on the reading??
I trust science and the salt test more than a weather watcher and his divining stick!

Ludwig, the problem with RH outside is it changes with every degree of temperature change.

If the weather guy sez "Today's high temp will be 65 degrees with an RH of 70%" the minute the temperature drops to say 60 degrees or goes over like to say 70 (well I know it's a stretch to accuse the weather guys of ever being wrong BUT...) the RH changes accordingly. He's giving you a predicted RH based on what his predicted temperature will be. So, if he's wrong on the predicted temp., his predicted RH will be off as well.

If you want ot bring your hygro outside along with one of those wetbulb set ups and the corresponding charts (which I think is the most accurate way to determine the RH outside) then okay but I wouldn't rely on the weatherman.

OK guys.....now I gotta get some of the Climmaxx beads.
Could someone email me a connection. Internet or Cigar shop?

Thanks ;)

I've been wondering why the last couple cigars I've smoked have had a bitter, unpleasant taste to them. Perhaps it was just the cigars I selected, or possibly the humidity level. So, I did a bit of research and wondered if maybe I should start keeping my sticks at 65% instead of the 70% they're at now.

The search came up timewise newest to oldest and it's looking like in the more recent threads (last few years) people are stating they like 65%, some even stating 60%. When I get to the older threads, such as this one, more people are stating they prefer 70%.

So, I think I'll pick up some 65% beads (since I already have 1/2 lb of 70) and start storing the same cigars in both RH humidors for a while. Then, I can smoke them and compare for myself. Decide then which RH works for me :cool: And hopefully the bitterness I've recently encountered was exclusive to a couple of sticks.

The next time you get a bitter stick try smoking it a little slower. It may not help you but it works for me pretty much 100% of the time.
You may also benefit from having enough stock on hand to let your cigars rest for 2-4 weeks before smoking them.

I keep everything at 70% and dry box my ISOM's for 12-24 hours before smoking them.