• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Premium cigars

Nestsdad

This may be a dumb question, so please remember I am a Noob.

What determines if a cigar is a premium cigar or not?

Good question and not one with an easy answer. There are 3 factors: quality, price and availability. These are somewhat interrelated. Quality is very subjective so there has to be a consensus. If one guy thinks the Hacienda de la Poopoo is great and nobody else does, then it's not generally considered premium. Price is a pretty good indicator, but there are plenty of spendy cigars that you never see traded around here so usually you have to have price and quality together. If a cigar is rare it will usually be fairly pricey as well, but not always. So if it's a good cigar and hard to find it's considered premium. I think everybody sorta has their own idea what constitutes premium, so YMMV.

Thanks FT - that does help me understand a little better. No other opinions on this? ???

Actually Dad, I think FT covered it pretty good. One thing is if you are participating in a Pass, ask the Originator what they consider Premium. I think a Premium List would be great tho.

OpusX
Diamond Crown
Fuente Hemmys
Fuente Sun Grown
Green Band Fuente (many of them, not all)
Don Carlos
PAM and PAN
Co Heebers
Ashton Cabs
Ashton VSG
RyJ Vintage
Punch (many of them, not all)
Partagas
Davidoff
Dunhill
Oliva "O"
CAO Cammies
HDM Excalibur )makes my list, but not everybody's)

There will be many more but I took my meds and my brain is beginning to shut down

Like they say...everyone has their own opinions...the above list, I would say, runs all the way from super-prem to run-o-the-mill...depending on what make and model.

OpusX...yes, hard to find and pricey

Diamond...yes..VERY pricey

Hemi's...ss, sig, classic are easy to find..not. Others around here..difficult...and Maduro's---->definite yes > prem->ult.

AFSG..chateau>common as is the double chat....858>debateable..same for cuban beli.

AFShade Grown (Green Band)...not a chance..middle of the road in my book

AFDC - yes

PAM-PAN - yes

Cohiba...ISOM yes, not isom = no.

Ashton Cabs...tough to call...may be a personal taste.. don't know enough here

VSG yes

RyJ..see cohiba, although cohiba would rank above due to price, etc

Punch..see RyJ

Partagas..see Punch

Davidoff...need you ask

Dunhill..see Partagas

Last 3 on the above list, I would put in the higher middle..but that's opinion.