• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Premium, super premium and rare cigars?

Lupa Namfauk

Would you guys mind giving a newbie some examples of what are considered premium, super premium and rare cigars? And is a super premium cigar due to rarity, price or both? Also, where is the best place to look to aquire these high end sticks?
TIA
Paul

Well for me rare is:

AF Hemingway Sungrown
and
AF 858 Rosado

Good luck finding them!

Well for me rare is:

AF Hemingway Sungrown
and
AF 858 Rosado

Good luck finding them!

Even if you can find them good luck finding a vendor who doesn't quadruple the price for them.

Might as well add the Opus X Maduro to the rare list

Any thoughts on AF BTL?

I read somewhere (perhaps in a post here) that a general rule of thumb is premium cigars are more than $5 and super premiums are more than $10 MSRP. This of course is not cut and dry, because I think both Opus X and Añejo would be considered super premium, but they MSRP mostly in the 5-10 dollar range. On the flip side, there are cigars in the >$10 price range that are not very special at all.

This may not be consensus, but it's how I've viewed it. I'll now watch the thread to see what other methods come up.

Here's how I look at it and its just my opinion :

Premium - Cigars which start at $7-8 and are worth the price.

Super Premium - Cigars which carry hefty price tags which are obtainable and Special or Limited releases which will eventually become rare cigars.

Rare - Cigars you want so bad, you have nightmares smoking one but not being able to taste it... ( I did get my hands on one of those OpusX Maduros but still won't be able to taste it since I don't plan to torch it! )

I have to ask a noob question..

Other then the Opus 22 and the fuente family charity auction are the Opus X Maduro's released for any other reason? Also how does one get there hands on them other then by having his wife sleep with one of the fuentes? :p

I read somewhere (perhaps in a post here) that a general rule of thumb is premium cigars are more than $5 and super premiums are more than $10 MSRP. This of course is not cut and dry, because I think both Opus X and Añejo would be considered super premium, but they MSRP mostly in the 5-10 dollar range. On the flip side, there are cigars in the >$10 price range that are not very special at all.

This may not be consensus, but it's how I've viewed it. I'll now watch the thread to see what other methods come up.

Apparently I got ripped off on the Opus I bought.

Here's how I look at it and its just my opinion :

Premium - Cigars which start at $7-8 and are worth the price.

Super Premium - Cigars which carry hefty price tags which are obtainable and Special or Limited releases which will eventually become rare cigars.

Rare - Cigars you want so bad, you have nightmares smoking one but not being able to taste it... ( I did get my hands on one of those OpusX Maduros but still won't be able to taste it since I don't plan to torch it! )
This is as good of an example as I've seen.

Thanks for all the input. You guys did a good job explaning this to me. So a Padron 1926 would be considered a super premium? And I guess taking advantage of special collections and sitting on them is a good way to be on the way to ratity? Grateful 1 that is an excellent link, I had know idea there were so many oddball variations on Opus and anejo.
Thanks,
Paul

Thanks for all the input. You guys did a good job explaning this to me. So a Padron 1926 would be considered a super premium? And I guess taking advantage of special collections and sitting on them is a good way to be on the way to ratity? Grateful 1 that is an excellent link, I had know idea there were so many oddball variations on Opus and anejo.
Thanks,
Paul

I'm not sure I'd consider the whole line super premium because of the variance in price and the availability of them. I'd say something along the lines of a Diamond Crown Maximus Stanford's 90th a super premium because of the pricetag and the limited production. Everyone will have different opinions though.

Premium is what I smoke, super premium is what I'd like to smoke but can't afford, and rare is what I've smoked and can't get more of.

Premium is what I smoke, super premium is what I'd like to smoke but can't afford, and rare is what I've smoked and can't get more of.

:thumbs:

Truthfully, it is all matter of personal taste. Someone might consider one cigar rare, and to another it could very well be an everyday smoke.

Well for me rare is:

AF Hemingway Sungrown
and
AF 858 Rosado

Good luck finding them!

Even if you can find them good luck finding a vendor who doesn't quadruple the price for them.

Might as well add the Opus X Maduro to the rare list

Any thoughts on AF BTL?

To me the BTL is a rare cigar, simply because I love and can hardly ever get my hands on em'. Any sellers LOL!!

:thumbs:

Truthfully, it is all matter of personal taste. Someone might consider one cigar rare, and to another it could very well be an everyday smoke.

This is exactly it. It depends on the individual. Someone earlier mentioned Padron 1926 Serie being super premium, however I would disagree and say that's just a premium cigar, but nothing special at all. Maybe I say that because of availability.

The 40th Anny from Padron I would consider a super premium, mostly because of price even though they are widely available.

I think rare directly translates to "not generally available to the public" or a "very limited release, not on the shelves anymore".

Opus and Anejo for 5-10 MSRP? The least expensive MSRP for Opus is the #5 at about 8.00 give or take. But you are correct that there are a ton of cigars that sell for over $10 that are just dead leaves rolled up.

Just like wine I guess. There is good and there is great and then there is great that is so great that you rarely can get it and if you have it you better hold on to it.