• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Prepaid debit card for travel abroad

tomthirtysix

Wishing I was as cool as Phil
My mom is going to England next month, and is looking for some sort of prepaid card she can bring with her. She found one - Travelex Cash Passport - but everything I've read about it online says it's horrible. Constant website crashes, customer service never answering the phone so you can reload it, terrible exchange rates, a lot of places not accepting the cards.

I'm hoping someone here has used something like this in the past and could provide a little insight (not Phil). Thanks.

I don't know about internationally, but we just went on vacation and had a $500 MasterCard preloaded gift card. We had no issues using it anywhere, and it was much better than carrying cash.

I have never used the pre-loaded cards, but I travel quite a bit internationally and my experience with American Express has been phenomenal. I know they sell "gift cards" as well.

Here in OZ we can get a Visa Debit from our bank ( it's a credit card that uses your money ) dont know if US banks have it but it is worth looking into.

Generally when I travel abroad, I take 2 credit cards. I call the credit card companies prior to leaving to inform them of my travels so the accounts don't get flagged for suspicious activity.

I prefer using credit cards as they are generally safer and it is a lot easier to dispute fraudulent charges. Prepaid debit cards are ok, however, if you end up with the account getting drained, getting the money back can be an ordeal. I would imagine prepaid debit cards (like credit cards) will also get hit with foreign transaction fees.