• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Price vs. B&M Loyality

CPT/VSG

I've really been tempted lately to make a purchase from a well-known Internet pipe site that is, apparently, the first to have Pease's Maltese Falcon. The aforementioned Internet site has tinned tobacco--for example, GL Peases', that is $3+ per 2 oz. tin less than either of the two bricks and mortar stores I frequent in Columbus or than the Internet site of a famous pipe store in Chicago that I visit several times per year (I order frequently from that site when products are unavailable locally).

Although I'm tempted to save a few bucks at the lower priced Internet site, I also believe it is important to support B&M businesses that still support the pipe trade as a major part of their business. Plus I enjoy visiting the two local stores regularly and herfing there; the Chicago store is my first stop every time I'm in town and I'd hate to see them dissapear after 150 years. Consequently, I spend more than I have to for the same product. I justify this on the basis of loyality to real live tobacconists who I have come to know and the relatively low price of pipe tobacco (and pipes) in relation to cigars. As a serious cigar collector the past several years, pipe tobacco and pipes seem modest in cost by comparison.

What do you guys think? Take the best deal or stick with the B&Ms?

If I had a B&M I would be there at least weekly and I would purchase as much as I could from them. Being that I do not have a local shop...

I try to support the local businesses here as much as I possibly can, even if their prices are higher. This is a VERY difficult environment for small businesses. Taxes and other regulations make it nearly impossible for most small businesses to succeed. I like to help out the ones I can whenever possible. I feel like if these men and women were willing to take the chance to offer their business to the public here given the environment, I'll do my part to keep them around.

What others do is there own thing. This is just my personal position.

I patronize both long distance and local cigar establishments. Fundamentally, I'd like to patronize the local guys even more but the long and short of it is that I get fantastic service from a guy I came to know through these pages who is across the country from me. Yes, his prices are better but not that much better. When my local B&M gets hard to find smokes in, they won't call me and give me a heads up, but my far away vendor does. I always buy a few smokes every time I visit the local guys, but the lions share of my purchases go to the guy that gives me the best service, first and foremost. Sadly, that isn't my local B&M.

FWIW - B.B.S.

I patronize both long distance and local cigar establishments. Fundamentally, I'd like to patronize the local guys even more but the long and short of it is that I get fantastic service from a guy I came to know through these pages who is across the country from me. Yes, his prices are better but not that much better. When my local B&M gets hard to find smokes in, they won't call me and give me a heads up, but my far away vendor does. I always buy a few smokes every time I visit the local guys, but the lions share of my purchases go to the guy that gives me the best service, first and foremost. Sadly, that isn't my local B&M.

FWIW - B.B.S.

This is my situation as well. There is a B&M literally right across the street from me that I would love to support exclusively. The problem is that they don't give me the level of service that other shops do.

One of the guys that works there bought the entire box of Sharks when they came in. One of the other guys there has seen me enough times that he probably has the license plate of my car memorized, but he always acts like he doesn't know me and cards me (really irritating). A while back I thought I would kill the afternoon there. I went in and bought some cigars and kicked back in the non-member lounge. Not one of them had anything to say to me the entire time I was there. I asked about the membership there in hopes of stirring up some interest, but to no avail.

The other two shops I support are the exact opposite experience. They're friendly, and they take interest in my business. They've both opened up their hard to find sticks to me without me even asking or being a "member." That's the kind of service I want to support with my money.

D

I agree that supporting local B&Ms that offer service and products is important. I too spend a bit more at B&Ms quite some distance from my home because they have become part of my extended family. There is one shop in particular, very close to my home & work that has a great selection, but a bunch of clickish snobs working there; they will NOT enjoy my patronage. I have gone without a few sticks because they are the only ones that carry them, but I'll find those online & with trades. At the other extreme, Pre's Tobacco road has extended a very warm welcome to my business and friendship; I go there at least once a month. EnFuego treated me like an old friend on my FIRST visit, I’ll be back. Two Brothers has given me HIGHLY personalized service when I go there and I’ve bought some very specific item from them. Stafford & Jones is new to me but on my 2[sup]nd[/sup] visit the store owner was at the door with a greeting by name and a seat in the member’s lounge even though I am not a dues paying member. I do not spend a ton, maybe more than I should, on cigars but I do like my business to be appreciated. I may buy a special online once in awhile, but in these days of smoking crackdowns, I want a refuge, a place to put up my dead tired dawgs and smoke a cigar in peace. How much is that worth?

For me it's not about loyalty vs good deals, it's about relationships. A business relationship with good B&M's shouldn't be about business at all, it should be about friendships. Sure, we sell cigars, pipes, and accoutrements at Tobacco Road, but really everyone on staff cares more about the relationships we're building than the cigars we're selling and that should actually put you at ease about buying online. Sure, we need to sell stuff to keep the lights on but we'd never fault our friends for taking advantage of a good deal.

Well, I think Preembargo summed it up pretty well. I have one B&M that is 20 miles away, and I go there if I'm in town for something else. I buy from them occasionally (used to be a lot more when I was more into cigars) but they don't really need me to keep them in business. I just do it because I think it's the thing to do. Plus I still remember that they used to tell me when the annual Fuentes were coming in.

Pipes and pipe tobaccos are more of a sideline for them, so they often don't have the latest and greatest and their prices are higher, but a tin or two every so often won't break me, and maybe it encourages them to keep dealing in pipes.

I just go to JimD's shop, pick out cigars and hand him my credit card. He also has some awesome pipe tobacco blends so if I smoked a pipe regularly, I'd employ the same buying habits.

Yeah okay, it may cost slightly more but who cares?

I don't see how you can pick a pipe from the internet. The first thing I do is pick it up and see if I like the way it feels in my hand. Pipes are personal, pipe guys come in two or three times before they make the commitment to buy(although it's usually the first pipe they picked up). As biased as I am about the B&M stores I can't argue deal with anyone. You can get better deals on a lot of things just because of the sheer volume these internet guys do. Hell, some of them sell below my cost and I'm buying direct!

If the shop carries the product, I try to buy from them. If they do NOT carry the product, I have no problem buying from an internet source.

It's worth the few extra bucks, to me, to have it right now.

Doc.

I don't see how you can pick a pipe from the internet. The first thing I do is pick it up and see if I like the way it feels in my hand. Pipes are personal, pipe guys come in two or three times before they make the commitment to buy(although it's usually the first pipe they picked up). As biased as I am about the B&M stores I can't argue deal with anyone. You can get better deals on a lot of things just because of the sheer volume these internet guys do. Hell, some of them sell below my cost and I'm buying direct!
Most places (with the exception of some eBay sellers) will allow one to return the pipe for a period of time in unsmoked or as received condition. I've yet to have to return one, but I'm sure it will happen someday. That's one reason why my dealings have dwindled to the "shops" that have given me the best service. I'm hoping that the same level of service will be there if the time for a return rears it's head.

For some of us, there is no other option. I wish I had a place like the Outlaw shop somewhere around here. As it stands, the only places here that sell anything tobacco related are cigarette shops with a few cigars that are ill stored and outrageously priced (even by Minnesotax standards) with no pipe or pipe tobacco selection (unless you count hookahs and one hitters :rolleyes:). Walgreens has more pipes and tobacco in stock than the shops here and they have better service. :(

If I lived in KC, I'd be in your shop weekly maybe more. Heck, you guys would probably get sick of seeing my ugly mug after awhile. :laugh:

If I lived in KC, I'd be in your shop weekly maybe more. Heck, you guys would probably get sick of seeing my ugly mug after awhile. :laugh:
Well, I do need a replacement for Loren! :laugh: You need to swing down with Swifty for one of the events this year!

Well, I do need a replacement for Loren! :laugh: You need to swing down with Swifty for one of the events this year!
I'll try to get down there this year. Things are looking like it may actually be possible. Hope to see you!

For me it's not about loyalty vs good deals, it's about relationships. A business relationship with good B&M's shouldn't be about business at all, it should be about friendships. Sure, we sell cigars, pipes, and accoutrements at Tobacco Road, but really everyone on staff cares more about the relationships we're building than the cigars we're selling and that should actually put you at ease about buying online. Sure, we need to sell stuff to keep the lights on but we'd never fault our friends for taking advantage of a good deal.
I feel like a complete numbnut for not knowing that you had a shop, Pre. The brain has been a little low on "Smart Juice" lately, so perhaps that is my problem.

I cannot agree more with you about relationships. There is a B&M within five miles of my house. They're nice, but a little distant as I'm a newbie and only show up every few months or so. When I want to fondle pipes, they've got the selection and that is where I will go. I'm unwilling to fondle one man's wares and then buy them from another [have fun with that one, boys], so I'll buy from them as well.

Another B&M in my area has been immediately welcoming, friendly, and treated me like an old friend when I entered the door. I need to reintroduce myself every time I come in because I'm an infrequent visitor (being married with a youngin' in the house has had that effect on me) but they remember my name for the duration of the evening, and recognize my face when I return a few months later. When I want something, and am unwilling to wait for it, I will happily buy from them. I'm an impatient fellow, so that is not unusual. They also provide great deals to everyone, and anyone is welcome to sit down and smoke in their lounge or spacious front yard area. As a matter of etiquette, I buy a few sticks when I use the lounge.

I'm with PreEmbargo above; I prefer to develop relationships. I'm not a big spender, or at least I pretend not to be in my more-lucid moments, but I like the way some shops treat me, and they get my business. I don't really care about a $40 difference on a box of nice sticks. I'm already in the $200 range anyways, and 20% is well worth a good relationship with a proprietor I know will take care of me if the sticks are damaged, or if they know I want something in particular and it just happens to arrive.

I'd do business with either of your brothers in a heartbeat.

when it comes to tobacco and a B&Ms pricing, you also have to factor in their tobacco taxes. CA has a 46.76% tax which they have to tack on to each box they receive before they can even put their own prices on it. Being a retailer here in CA, it's very difficult when somebody comes in and says "why are your prices so high? Holt's has such and such for this amount of money." The same goes for pipe tobacco. If you're dealing with a retailer who has to pay those tobacco taxes, then try to support them as much as possible. They need the support too. And besides, nothing beats great one-on-one customer service versus just clicking and putting your credit card numbers in.

I do about 50/50 business online and local.

Taxes up here are terrible. A tin of Dunhill 965 goes for $25. The in house bulk tobacco is $5 an ounce. I paid $22.50 for a tin of Rattray's Accountant's Blend yesterday-and that was at 30% off! But I pay those prices to help out the local shop and for the great service they provide. They do a lot of pipe business, so the employees know their stuff and can steer me in the right direction when trying a new blend. They are my friends and it is a great place to sit back and enjoy a couple bowls and a cigar when it is 3 degrees outside.

They know that we all buy online due to the taxes (the owners do as well from time to time) and they do not mind that folks bring in sticks and tins bought elsewhere. They know we buy local when we can and that the atmosphere is worth every penny.

I honestly do very little time at my B&M. I do buy sticks there on a monthly basis, but only a couple. I try to help out a bit as small business needs it, but I just don't really have the money to spend that much over in bulk. Just my .02 however! The deals on the internet and from vendors that are here are just too good to pass up IMO.

Don

Since I live fairly close to a B&M I try to support them as much as I can.

They are located in a prime location and seem to be thriving with or with out my business. I do frequent this establishment about twice a week more for the company then the location. I certainly would be sad if they were to close shop but I tend to watch how I spend my money.

I will not hesitate to ask for a price on a pipe including discount from my B&M but I don't beat them up about it. I assume if they want my business they are going to give me there best price, but in the end the best price wins.

Cigars and tobacco I certainly purchase from them even if they are a few more dollars.

Nothing stands in the way of my purchasing voracity! If it's a good prioce and after researching it, I buy it! But that doesn't stop me from purchasing at the B&M when I go for a visit either.