• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

problem with humidor - cheaphumidors.com

thicksmoke

I'm having troubles with a humidor I bought from cheaphumidors.com. I've had THIS
humidor for a couple months now but for some reason my cigars have been drying out even though my hygrometers are reading 70-75% humidity.

My setup consists of the following:

I'm using the large rectangular humidifier that came with the humidor and two crystal gel humidifiers (2oz). One on top and one on the bottom.
I have a digital and analog hygrometer.
My current stash is about 50 cigars.

I have 70% silica beads but I'm not using them. I'm not sure where to get a mesh bag and I'm not sure how much silica I can put in this size humidor.

All I know is that my cigars are drying out and I don't know why. I emailed sales@cheaphumidors.com (because they don't have phone support) to ask why my cigars are drying out and to see if a broken seal could cause this. They didn't address or have any solutions for me. So I emailed them back and I'm waiting for their response. In the mean time I figured my fellow BOTL would be able to help. Does anyone know why my cigars are drying out under optimal humidity?

Thanks,
Steve

Have you calibrated the digital hygro? Forget about the analog one, its useless. That should be step one.

Are you referring to cheaperhumidors?

Also:

1) Have tyou tried multiple hydrometers?
2) Have you tested the hydrometer in question(what type is it)?
3) What type of humidor did you get - how do others like it?
4) Is the device near a heat or light(heat) source?
5) Is the room a 'dry' place?

...and....If you want to send me the Hydro - I'll check it against mine....but a bag or salt test should do you just fine.

Jsut to let you know, I have 4 Hydro's in my humi - they all read a little different depending on positioning.

A few members here have not had great luck with cheaphumidors.com, as seen when I did a search within this forum. They get the website name not just for their prices, but for what you get for your money. As for the beads, go out and buy yourself a pair of pantyhose, then just cut one up, put your beads in it and tie the end.

It could be the really low humidity in your area that doesn't help at all. You can add as many beads as you want, it won't do any damage.

Okay take a look at all the humidor help in the section.

First things first. Have you done the salt test for the hygrometers? If not start with that. In the mean time you can use panty hose to store the beads. When you set up the humidor did you season it first?

Answer those questions and then we can help you out further.

Agreed with above - make sure the hygros are calibrated. Also, make sure that your humi is well seasoned before adding your cigars.

Mesh bags HERE. And you can add as many beads as you want to your humidor - more won't hurt.

I have that same humi (from a different source) and it has always run a little dry for me. I suspect the seal around the glass top isn't great.

A few members here have not had great luck with cheaphumidors.com, as seen when I did a search within this forum. They get the website name not just for their prices, but for what you get for your money. As for the beads, go out and buy yourself a pair of pantyhose, then just cut one up, put your beads in it and tie the end.

It could be the really low humidity in your area that doesn't help at all. You can add as many beads as you want, it won't do any damage.

Nice introduction.

:laugh:

Nice introduction.

Thank you!

Okay take a look at all the humidor help in the section.

First things first. Have you done the salt test for the hygrometers? If not start with that. In the mean time you can use panty hose to store the beads. When you set up the humidor did you season it first?

Answer those questions and then we can help you out further.

I'm going to redo the salt test and get back to you guys with the results.

Thanks for the panty hose tip.

I did season/prime the humidor really well before I added any cigars. And I didn't add anything to the humidor until the humidity was steady for a couple days.

Nice introduction.

lol

I think he's been lurking since October until someone made a post about cheaperhumidors.com. :sign:

Nice introduction.

lol

I think he's been lurking since October until someone made a post about cheaperhumidors.com. :sign:

That is quite accurate. I don't really have alot to say, in general, that isn't being said already. I had a deal go sour with them, and thought I could add to the conversation. Otherwise I'm just a fly on the wall reading and observing, seeing how things work.

I have that same humi (from a different source) and it has always run a little dry for me. I suspect the seal around the glass top isn't great.

I suspect the glass isn't sealed well too. I can smell the inside of the humidor from one of the corners of the glass. I wonder if we could get some sort of marine sealer or some non-toxic, no mold producing caulk or sealer to seal the top glass lid? Yeah, it wouldn't look pretty, but i'm sure it'll help keep the cigars better.

Can you have too much Crystal Gel? Can having two containers of this be drawing the moisture out of the cigars?

I suspect the glass isn't sealed well too. I can smell the inside of the humidor from one of the corners of the glass. I wonder if we could get some sort of marine sealer or some non-toxic, no mold producing caulk or sealer to seal the top glass lid? Yeah, it wouldn't look pretty, but i'm sure it'll help keep the cigars better.

Just return it and get a Diamond Crown!

I had great luck with the Humi that I got from them, well actually, my wife got it for me while I was deployed. If the glass does not seal, then I think you should pursue a refund or exchange. I hope all goes well with this, and please keep us informed as to the outcome.

Tim

Nice introduction.

lol

That is quite accurate. I don't really have alot to say, in general, that isn't being said already. I had a deal go sour with them, and thought I could add to the conversation. Otherwise I'm just a fly on the wall reading and observing, seeing how things work.

You should have stayed lurking versus opening your mouth on the "Atuck Refund" thread......

If you have been lurking since October, you should have known better then to post what you did on that thread, which had nothing to do with you (or your opinion for that matter).

DON'T rely too much (or at all) on hygrometers. If you know your cigars are too dry, refill your humidifing devices more often. It does sound like you have a bad seal either with the glass or the lid of the humidor.

I purchased my humidor from cheaphumidors.com, and I love it.

If you have the 70% RH gel humidifiers and your humidor is reading 70-75% RH with a calibrated hygrometer, then it would seem that the humidor is working like it should.