• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Problems keeping hygrometers calibrated

SMOKE!

Ok, I did the salt test twice with my analog and digital hygrometers. The first time they read a little high, so I did it again for 24 hours. The digital read 78 and the analog also read 78. The digital has always been 2 or 3 degrees high, but I thought the analog one was correct. I turned the analog one down by 3 degrees and put them both in my humidor. It has been a few days and now the digital reads 74 and the analog 68. I have a small desktop humidor with a tube of beads and a half full shot glass in it. I think the salt test ran 3 degrees to high and the analog was correct to begin with. That would put the humidor at 71% humidity. Anybody see any other possibilities?

What beads do you have for starters.

Give it a few weeks at minimum.

During that that time smoke some cigars and quit worrying.

I often come home from a 4-5 day trip and mine reads 72-74. Oh well I leave for another 4-5 day trip and come home and it reads 63. It will change, but you have to kinda get a feeling where it averages. Mine always stays in the 63-67 range average with a few swings here and there.

Like I said chill out smoke a few and give it a few weeks. Also the fuller the humi the more stable it will eventually become.

For me, the ultimate test is to smoke one. It's nice to read the numbers, but like shooter said, just relax and have a smoke.

What beads do you have for starters.

Give it a few weeks at minimum.

During that that time smoke some cigars and quit worrying.

I often come home from a 4-5 day trip and mine reads 72-74. Oh well I leave for another 4-5 day trip and come home and it reads 63. It will change, but you have to kinda get a feeling where it averages. Mine always stays in the 63-67 range average with a few swings here and there.

Like I said chill out smoke a few and give it a few weeks. Also the fuller the humi the more stable it will eventually become.
Like shooter said, as long as it is in the ballpark don't let it worry you. I have had the same issue with one of my desktops and finally decided to throw the hyrgo out the window since all of the sticks kept there were smoking like a champ. Good luck!

Some of the best advice I got while fighting my first humidor was - don't sweat it too much. Ask around what the "best" humidity is to store your cigars at, and you'll get numbers from 58 to 75% depending on who you ask. Point being, as long as you're in the ballpark, your sticks should smoke just fine. I like to run my storage coolers around 65-70% and my smoking humi between 60-65%. If they get more than a couple points above that for more than a day, I leave the lid open for an hour (RH in house < RH in humidors). If they get more than a point or two below that for more than a couple days, I'll wet the beads with some DI.

Honest truth is that I don't really know what kind of repeatability you can or should expect out of a $10-20.00 hygrometer. Relax, trust the beads, and enjoy a smoke.... :cool:

Good Luck - B.B.S.

Keeping your humidity perfect can drive you nuts if you let it.....As long as you know you are close then dont worry so much.