• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Proper name pronunciations

7Enigma

Saw this on another forum (not cigar related) and thought it would be interesting, especially for those of us that rarely visit smoke shops where they might pick up the proper lingo.

Phonetically typed would be the best way:

example: Onyx------->Own-ix or On-ix?

Cigars/companies/types I'd light to know proper pronunciations would be:

-Partagas

-Ghurka

-Fonseca

-Altidas

-Tatuaje

-Fuerte

-Xikar

Feel free to post any others you would want.

Thanks!

-Ghurka...Gurr-ka

-Tatuaje...Tat-ooo-a-hey

-Fuerte....Foo-air-tay

-Xikar.....Zee-kar

[/quote]

Xikar ... Zi-car

And for Mr. Peat:

Padron...Pad-rone, not Paid-ron

Wow,

I was sure Fuerte was Fur-Ta....glad I cleared that one up before sounding like a ;)

My favorite that had me fooled for a while was 5 Vegas. Pronounced Cinco Vegas! ...not that I like them, especially the Gold...but that's a whole other topic.

By the way, I thought Xikar = Zy-car

"Altidas" is actually Altadas.

Never heard it pronounced by a European, but my guess is it's ahl-TAH-dahs.

-Tatuaje...Tat-ooo-a-hey

I remember when these first came out and I had to call in an order :blush: . Luckily the fella was nice and pronounced it properly for me.

"Altidas" is actually Altadas.

Never heard it pronounced by a European, but my guess is it's ahl-TAH-dahs.

Dunno, I copied the name directly from their website.... Literally cut and pasted so I wouldn't change the name... :)

My favorite that had me fooled for a while was 5 Vegas. Pronounced Cinco Vegas! ...not that I like them, especially the Gold...but that's a whole other topic.

By the way, I thought Xikar = Zy-car

That's probably a better phonetic spelling than my Zi-car was. I think we are on the same wavelength though!