• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Proper smoking technique

The way I do it, is to exhale most of the smoke through my mouth, then barely pull my tongue to pull a small amount of air in my mouth and breath the air/smoke mixture out through my nose. Its kind of hard to explain, but its one smooth motion as you push your tongue to the roof of your mouth to force the air into your throat.You dont get as much of the flavor, but it doesnt sting at all.

Is it also exceptable to breath smoke up through the nose as you exhale through your mouth? I have been doing this with cigarettes and other things for sometime. I will have to try the exhale through the nose and see if it is a different feeling.

I like to "roll" the smoke in my mouth and then exhale slowly through the nose.
I suck at describing different flavors , but this is the way to get the most out of a cigar.
Had a TTT today that was really nice, with out the nose it would have been
to mild.

I've always done this also. I love the first few puffs of a stong cigar, gives ya a good tingle.

I'm going to have to find one of my mildest cigars and try this with that first, starting with a LG Diez or Opus X (the two cigars I smoked the day of this thread) was probably not a good idea.

:sneeze:

Lumberg, lol definitely not the cigars to practice with. I would recommend a Ashton Aged Maduro, Hemingway, Ashton Cabinet, regular line Davidoff.

Ive heard about this before but just never gave it a try, I guess today is the day. ill let yall know how it goes.

K&P

Master,
that is the best explanation of how to imbibe and appreciate cigar smoking. I have been smoking for nearly 3 years and on and off I would "get it", meaning I would catch the flavor of the cigar... but something still felt like I was missing out.

I then started puffing and blowing smoke through my nose (say about 80 - 90% of the smoke). Of course, if you haven't done this before it creates quite the sinus burning sensation. But, there is a certain science to it that many just have to practice to find.

I guess if I had to make any personal suggestions, don't just puff and blow out the smoke. You'll find that the taste quotient will go down and you'll feel a lot more at a loss, like your missing the point or the enjoyment of the cigar. The senses are going to have to work and pay attention to the details of how to and what to look for.

Personally, when I puff in the smoke, I blow a smaller amount out my nose for the first "nasal" taste. Then I'll do it a little while later when my first 1/2 inch of ash has fallen off. I also "play" with the smoke, letting it roll around in my mouth, around my tongue and somehow I let it get into my sinuses. It may all sound vague, but believe me... experiment!

It will finally hit you when you start noticing that great taste in yoru tongue, or sensation in your nasal passages/sinuses. It will be like something that was so elusive just happens, as if a light goes on.

So, in short.. experiment and practice enjoying the smoke. It will comet you!

Darren

The Master said:
I haven't seen this topic discussed here so I thought it might be a good time to talk about it since there have been a lot of new people joining recently.

Proper smoking technique is when you take the smoke into your mouth and then exhale part or all of the smoke through your nose. This technique is used by all of the people who are in the business, growers, rollers, blenders, tasters everyone who is involved in making cigars uses this technique.

The reason being is that without the nose, you cannot judge strength or the full flavor of a cigar. Try drinking a glass of orange juice holding your nose, you taste nothing.

Proper smoking technique does take some practice, inhaling the smoke into your lungs is not a proper technique. It might take some practice but once you get used to it, you will enjoy your cigars to a much greater extent.
[snapback]235665[/snapback]​

The Master said:
...I would recommend a Ashton Aged Maduro, Hemingway, Ashton Cabinet, regular line Davidoff.
[snapback]236096[/snapback]​
I agree. I really enjoy the Ashton Maduros, and using this technique with any cigar will help to bring out its full dimensions.

SteveD.
b8f49505.gif

The Master said:
Proper smoking technique is when you take the smoke into your mouth and then exhale part or all of the smoke through your nose. This technique is used by all of the people who are in the business, growers, rollers, blenders, tasters everyone who is involved in making cigars uses this technique.

The reason being is that without the nose, you cannot judge strength or the full flavor of a cigar. Try drinking a glass of orange juice holding your nose, you taste nothing.

This is also a technique that is used by insiders in the wine business, growers, makers and professional tasters. If you are not a wine insider it is highly recommended that you do not attempt nostril aeration, the techical "insider" term.

:cool:

NorCalCigarLover said:
The Master said:

This is also a technique that is used by insiders in the wine business, growers, makers and professional tasters. If you are not a wine insider it is highly recommended that you do not attempt nostril aeration, the techical "insider" term.

:cool:
[snapback]236226[/snapback]​

I've done that before! It was with wine in my mouth, and it wasn't intentional. The only difference is that I called it "snarfing" my wine. No extra flavors or anything, just a white t-shirt with a wine stain on it now! ;) :p

This is something I just cannot do, no matter how hard I try without gagging so I take the smoke into my nose using a technique most "left handed rollers" know.

I inhale to the back of my tounge, open my mouth a crack and let the smoke flow out of my mouth while inhaling through my nose. I always get a good amount of smoke into my nasal passages. Looks pretty cool too :p