• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Punch Royal #12 and Upmann #2

Eins

Now that I know Cubans need some time before they can be really enjoyed, I need to buy strategically and found some "older" gars. Reviews sound like I would like them.

Punch Royal Selection #12 of July 2001 (about $150 shipped)

and Upmann #2 of May 2002 (about $235 shipped).

Are these decent and am I on the right track looking for some older merchandise?

Thanks

eins
problem is...once you have tried aged habanos and find out how good they are...its all down hill.

upmann#2...dont know much about these

punch rs#12...best kept secret of the petite corona size...dont hear much about them...very punch , very sweet , above medium strength.age wonderfully as they come in a cab of 25(i like what cedar boxes do for cigars in 5 or 6 years).price is right too at about 90$ in habana.three years is a nice age to give em a try so i would say BUY.i have three boxes...smoking from one and sitting on the others.

derrek :D

I like the RS 12, but I like the Punch PC Del Punch even more.

I really enjoy the Punch line, and since its not one of the most popular brands its easy to find them with some nice age.

Eins said:
Now that I know Cubans need some time before they can be really enjoyed, I need to buy strategically and found some "older" gars. Reviews sound like I would like them.

Punch Royal Selection #12 of July 2001 (about $150 shipped)

and Upmann #2 of May 2002 (about $235 shipped).

Are these decent and am I on the right track looking for some older merchandise?

Thanks
[snapback]155428[/snapback]​
Both of these are solid choices and pricing is pretty decent. My key advice is to make sure you trust the vendor (or they were references by someone you really trust who knows cubans or aged cubans), particularly when buying anything that has any age at all.

The Upmann #2 is one of my standard cigars, as I am a torpedo smoker as a rule. I actually prefer it over the Monte #2 (which is the same size) and similar taste profile, but I think the Upmann has a smoother taste and tend to be better at young ages (2002 is still pretty young). This is not a particularly strong cigar at all, IMO. The Upmann Sir Winston is another great cigar from that maker, and if you can find Sir Winnies from '98, these are smoking wonderfully right now in my experience.

In terms of the Punch Royal Selection - that is not a favored cigar of mine. It is just a very straight forward and strong cigar, but I would not describe it as having much of a flavor profile. I'm personally not much of a fan of Punch at all, not really because there is anything wrong with them, but just that I think other brands have more flavor and just as much kick. For example, if you're looking for something of approximately this size, give the Vegas Robaina Famosos from the same year a try. To me, it has a similar foundation as the Punch #12, but brings more flavor to the table on top of it. Maybe I've just had bad luck and gotten flat-tasting sticks from Punch, though.

Regardless, let us know what you get and how you like 'em... :)

Cheers,

- Oak

The Upmann #2 is a great cigar. The '02s are smoking great right now. I always look for at least a few year's of box age if possible. I'm rarely disappointed with the results.

I've only had one of the Punch and wasn't favorably impressed. However it is a popular cigar and many love it. I believe it's on the cut list as well so get them while you can :D

Current Upmann #2s are smoking well out of box. I'm sure that they will be even better later. Just can't keep my hands off current production stuff. More body than the Montes of current year as well. But I go for both.