• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Putting up my first box - Padron or Patel?

the_jiggler

I've narrowed my choice down to a box Padron 5000 maduros or a box of Rocky Patel The Edge Battalion. These are for my first foray into putting a box up in the cooler for a year or so. I might take one a month out (as someone here recommended) to experience how they improve over time.

I have tried and enjoyed a couple Padron 2000 maduros but I have never smoked anything from Patel. I am pretty sure most of you all are partial to Padron but I read in several places where people liked the Patel a little bit better...plus they are a little cheaper and I like the size a little better.

Wish that I could buy both but we just got back from Disney and Christmas is around the corner. As much as I'd like to say these are for the kids, I am afraid Lulu (dog) is the only one who will believe me.

Any thoughts, advice or even alternatives would be appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Only buy boxes of cigars after you have tried the brand/vitola and you know it's something you can see yourself smoking several of.

Padron, I have smoked both many times and as they are both good like jfeilds said only buy box of things you know you will smoke many of.

Happy Turkey Day

Paul

Only buy boxes of cigars after you have tried the brand/vitola and you know it's something you can see yourself smoking several of.
....this. Padron is a great choice, but try a 5-er or two before you commit to a box.

I'm not so worried about box versus 5er- but these guy probubaly know better than me.

Anyway buy a box of Padron, 2000, 3000, 5000, a box of 1926, #1's, #6's, & 35's, get yourself the 64 exclusivos and a box of one of the family reserve series.- This is an investment in your future!

Jiggles!!!! I'd pick up a Padron box. I ya don't like them, I'll snag a few from you since I was the one that told you to try it.

You will not be disappointed.

Had a Padron 1964 85th yesturday and it was great just like all there cigars and at only $20 a stick I thought it was worth the money! from there 2000 all the way to their top sticks you can't go wrong.

Jiggles!!!! I'd pick up a Padron box. I ya don't like them, I'll snag a few from you since I was the one that told you to try it.

You will not be disappointed.

Glad the nickname lives on.

I have much less experience than a lot of guys do, but there seems to be a much wider range of strength, flavor and quality with RP's than Padrons, so this decision might depend upon your budget and what strength and body you're looking for. But as SoulDog mentioned, it would probably be much easier to sell/pass Padron 2000s or even 5000s than RP medium/lower end cigars.

Why don't you try the Newbie Sampler Trade instead? For the amount you're paying for a box of Padron 5000s, it seems that you'd get a great variety of cigars for that amount, and maybe you'd find something you would like even better than either of the two?

Padron is like a Rolls Royce Phantom, while Rocky Patel is like a 1983 Dodge Omni. With that said, it's ok to like Omni's LOL.

Jason

Thanks fellas. Looks like the consensus winner is Padron. I'm going to get in on the noobie sampler trade hear pretty soon as well. I guess that is phase two.

You will be happy with this. I was lucky enough to buy a box of aged Padrons from a member here. Completely different. I now have a couple boxes just waiting. When I open one, I buy another to replace it.

You will be happy with this. I was lucky enough to buy a box of aged Padrons from a member here. Completely different. I now have a couple boxes just waiting. When I open one, I buy another to replace it.

I'm on the same rotation. The boxes, bundles, or samplers I buy now will be smoked late next year. I have some cigars I will get to in 3 to 5 years. I keep those at the bottom of my locker. Those cheap smokes with a year of aging turn into some fine smokes. The good smokes turn into something extra special. The owner of my B&M is always asking to buy stuff out of my closet locker. That's the goooooood stuff.

My vote is also for the Padron, but I also agree with trying a couple before buying a box. I'd suggest seeing if you can get your hands on some of the Padron first (if you really like the 6x60 size of the RP, the 7000 is 6 1/4 x 60), and while you're smoking those, keep you eyes peeled on the vendor forum and wait for Jim (Keystone Raider) to post a thread saying he's taking Padron orders.

My reasoning is that if I like the smaller size, flavor wise, I will be good to go with the larger size. Sound reasonable? Can't wait to get this going. You guys with the aged sticks on hand are tempting me to jealousy.

My reasoning is that if I like the smaller size, flavor wise, I will be good to go with the larger size. Sound reasonable?

Actually, no. A lot of times the smaller sized smokes have the flavor profile you like because of the ratio of wrapper leaf to filler leaf. A lot of the flavor of a cigar is derived from the wrapper (usually the best leaf used in a cigar), and when you increase the cigar's size you decrease the flavor from the wrapper leaf because it gets muted by more filler leaf. If you like something in a smaller size, smoke that size. Don't think that a bigger cigar will give you same flavor, only more of it. Try a few in a larger size and judge for yourself if you like the flavor better, worse, or the same before you commit to a box.

With that being said I like the Padrons in almost any size. They do a very good job of blending their cigars to keep a very similar profile regardless of size, but there are definitely differences even if they are subtle. I wouldn't smoke much of anything from Patel, even if you gave it to me for free.

My reasoning is that if I like the smaller size, flavor wise, I will be good to go with the larger size. Sound reasonable?

Actually, no. A lot of times the smaller sized smokes have the flavor profile you like because of the ratio of wrapper leaf to filler leaf. A lot of the flavor of a cigar is derived from the wrapper (usually the best leaf used in a cigar), and when you increase the cigar's size you decrease the flavor from the wrapper leaf because it gets muted by more filler leaf. If you like something in a smaller size, smoke that size. Don't think that a bigger cigar will give you same flavor, only more of it. Try a few in a larger size and judge for yourself if you like the flavor better, worse, or the same before you commit to a box.

Well duh. I feel a little stupid for making my original assumption out loud, but I'm glad I did because I never thought about ratio of wrapper to filler and how that should affect the profile. I appreciate you being patient with me and I appreciate the pointer. My penchant for sarcasm aside, it was very helpful.

One other point about Padron vs. Rocky, Padron is very consistent from box to box. Rocky may have some good blends in the initial release of his smokes, but it changes after that. I haven't smoked an Edge since it came out sometime ago, but I wouldn't doubt it tastes the same anymore fresh or otherwise.