• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Putting up my first box - Padron or Patel?

Well duh. I feel a little stupid for making my original assumption out loud, but I'm glad I did because I never thought about ratio of wrapper to filler and how that should affect the profile. I appreciate you being patient with me and I appreciate the pointer. My penchant for sarcasm aside, it was very helpful.

The only two ways you're going to learn it by trial and error, or by asking questions. If you have a question or assumption, do a search on here to see if it's been covered. If after that you don't have an answer, or your still are not sure, feel free to ask away. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board that are happy to share.

Padron 100%

Seems like Rocky Patel releases a new line every week.

"Oh, it's Monday, Rocky Patel released the Old World Blue Edge Royal Vintage Connecticut Indian Maduro and twitter got a new rapper."

Padron 100%

Seems like Rocky Patel releases a new line every week.

"Oh, it's Monday, Rocky Patel released the Old World Blue Edge Royal Vintage Connecticut Indian Maduro and twitter got a new rapper."

Now that was funny! :laugh:

One other point about Padron vs. Rocky, Padron is very consistent from box to box. Rocky may have some good blends in the initial release of his smokes, but it changes after that. I haven't smoked an Edge since it came out sometime ago, but I wouldn't doubt it tastes the same anymore fresh or otherwise.

I agree with 4cbln3,

I feel that any new Rocky Patel lines are good for the first six months. After that I think with the mass production they just start to throw any thing into the blend. The Edge is a good example of that. When it first came out - it was hands down good. Have you smoke an Edge lately? - not the same. I would definately go with the Padrons.

Only buy boxes of cigars after you have tried the brand/vitola and you know it's something you can see yourself smoking several of.

This is GREAT advice. Buy a few, then if you like them, buy a box. I have purchased more than a few boxes of cigars I wish I hadn't. Although Padron makes great cigars.

If you haven't reached a decision yet, but vote would be for Padron. Being cost conscious, my vote would be for the 2000 maduro. Best of the x000 Series line IMHO. What was stated is true...larger (meant longer and/or bigger ring gauge) cigars don't necessarily mean that you are getting more flavor, just more cigar. I smoked a lot of Rocky Patels for awhile when I first began smoking cigars and I still smoke a few from time to time. The Decade and Vintage 1990 being my favorite. I've only been smoking cigars since 2008, but I can tell you that even in this short time frame, both the Vintage 1990 and the Decade do not taste the same as they did back then, and not for the better either. Finally, someone brought this up before, but truly you can't beat Padron when it comes to consistency, not just in their premium lines but in the x000 series as well.

Oh...and it is very sage advice to not buy a box of any cigar you haven't tried before and truly liked. Trust me, I'm speaking from personal experience here. I say this because those cigars will be relegated to the bottom of the stack and probably never smoked...a real waste of money. Over time your taste in cigars will naturally change, and you will gravitate towards different cigars. This process alone will leave you with plenty of unfinished boxes of old favorites, that you really don't enjoy quite as much anymore. Why add to that eventual pile by purchasing boxes of cigars you don't even know you'll like. Remember, one man's trash is another man's treasure, and vice versa...don't go by what others say, you have to taste and experience it for yourself when it comes to cigars...and booze for that matter.

Whatever you decide on, hope you enjoy the smokes.

Can't go wrong with a Padron. It could have been a bad stick, but a RP Edge is one of the worse cigars I ever had. Have not been back to RP since that.

Thanks again for all the sage advice. I think I am definitely going Patron. I have heeded the warnings and have a five pack of both the 6000 maduros and Edge maduros on the way and plan on trying them out this weekend. I have put off buying the box until after December 9th.

Why the 9th you ask? Because on the 9th Johnathan Drew himself will be here in Charlotte at a local B&M and I plan on picking up at least one box of infused awesomeness.

I know I know, everyone is clawing their eyes out with jealousy. Take heart, I promise to represent you well (as well as my noob status will allow) and I will be sure to convey the love and affection you all hold for all things Acid, to the man, in person.

Hey jiggles, when you buy the box of Kama Sutta torpedoes or whatever he's got, tell him punk_lawyer from CP sent you! I wonder if he'll remember Stu?

I've heard Jonathan Drew is a really cool dude, and I love his non-infused stuff, so have a great time!

Padron 2000 is just a flat azz great smoke. Like Jon ( Souldog ) said, I'll take a fiver off you if you need to get rid of them. Just smoked an RP4 yesterday and will admit it was a nice smoke, but doesn't hold Lulu's dog bone to a Padron.

Thanks again for all the sage advice. I think I am definitely going Patron. I have heeded the warnings and have a five pack of both the 6000 maduros and Edge maduros on the way and plan on trying them out this weekend. I have put off buying the box until after December 9th.

Why the 9th you ask? Because on the 9th Johnathan Drew himself will be here in Charlotte at a local B&M and I plan on picking up at least one box of infused awesomeness.

I know I know, everyone is clawing their eyes out with jealousy. Take heart, I promise to represent you well (as well as my noob status will allow) and I will be sure to convey the love and affection you all hold for all things Acid, to the man, in person.

Just in case you don't already know this...DON'T put the infused sticks in the same humidor as your regular sticks. You will find that the infused sticks will transfer the flavors onto your regular sticks. That just kills a cigar that isn't supposed to be infused.

FWIW I really liked the Tabak Especial Maduro infused cigars when I started smoking cigars. But that only lasted about 6 months, then I found infused cigars to be a let down.

ETA - The Padron 2000 is a killer stick...

The Patel and Pardon fivers showed up today and I burned one of each. To be honest, the taste to my noob palate was pretty equal. The construction and feel of the Padron were superior. Quick question...the draw on both was incredibly tight. A buddy smoked with me and his experience was the same. Do you think this is a result of not giving them a week or two in the humi? Sorry if this not OK to ask this question in this thread...

Oh, and I will definitely mention punk_lawyer and if I am lucky enough to score the box of Kama Sutta torpedoes that comes with the limited edition, hand illustrated, ancient guide to advanced smoking positions, I will definitely post full color pics for all to see.

And yes I picked up and respected the tip about storing infused cigars separately. They have their own cooler which I am tentatively calling Valhalla or The Elysian Fields or maybe Nirvana. Maybe that can be my next thread...Name My Infused Coolidor... I can only imagine the colorful epithets all of you salty dogs will come up with.

Yeah, there's a decent chance they didn't have time to settle.

I've never had a tight draw on a Padron. Wonder what's up with that?

Thanks fellas. Looks like the consensus winner is Padron. I'm going to get in on the noobie sampler trade hear pretty soon as well. I guess that is phase two.

Don't make the same mistake that I did. When I was a newbie, I got all excited and bought 50 boxes of cigars. Over time, as my palate developed, I discovered that more than half of what I bought were shit sticks that I didn't want to smoke, or for that matter, could give away to anyone that new the difference between a good cigar and a bad one. Don't load up until you have sufficient experience to know for sure that you are going to like the stuff down the road.

All but one Rocky Patel I have ever smoked was shit for me. The one I liked was the Edge, but not enough to buy a box of them.