• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quad State Herf IV - Feb 7, 2009

Hey Charlie.

Do you know if it is possible to use PP to send our donation?
Just wondering...
Would greatly simplify things on my end.

Thanks meng!

-Rob

Rob, let me know if you need me to cover you with a check...I'll piggy back it on mine.

Charlie, how'd the OCC tour turn out?

See you all soon!

Charlie, how'd the OCC tour turn out?

See you all soon!

Gary, no answer back yet and I'm not holding my breath. I still say we all go over to the new Headquarters at the corner of 17K & 300 and check things out the morning prior to the event........ :) :thumbs: :cool:

Just a thought. For those who aren't thrilled by motorcycles. Pleasure Island, a little further down the road on 17k is putting up a new roof. So, now they are a truly double topless place. I believe admission during the day is free. However, I would have to confirm. I only know of the place through newspaper ads and driving by.

If neither pre-herf suggestions excites you, then just gear-up for a 2pm start to start puffing at the Quad-state herf.

Kudos to Stogieman for maintaining an OUTSTANDING tradition.

OK, before I get a ton of replies. This was only a joke (for you sensitive types). Even though, this is Orange County, there are more exciting things to do than watch a roof on a gentlemen's club go up. For fun, we watch the direction of our cigar smoke.

It's nice to see you post there George even if it's about a truly topless joint. Well, we are exactly two weeks away from the Quad State Herf IV and there are still a few of you out there that I haven't heard from since you signed up. If your name is on the list and you can not attend, let me know so the ones on the Standby List can be moved over to the Guest List. I will be posting a few administrative messages next week so standby for those to come as well. If you haven't sent in your donation as of yet, you have till next Friday so that'll be one less thing I have to take care of the day of the event. I hope you all have a great day and I'll see you all in 2 weeks.......

Hey Charlie,

I have a question: Would you mind if instead of donating to your charity I would bring you a reciept of my donation in the same amount to a charity of my choice.

Not to knock down your choice but I personally have other charaties that I feel more apt to donate to.

Hey Charlie,

I have a question: Would you mind if instead of donating to your charity I would bring you a reciept of my donation in the same amount to a charity of my choice.

Not to knock down your choice but I personally have other charaties that I feel more apt to donate to.

Dan, you really made me scratch my head on that one. This event is to raise monies for the great "Cause", the Wounded Warriors. I donate to other charities myself all the time, i.e., the local church, boys scouts, food bank, etc. If you feel that this charity is not worth helping out then so be it. These great soldiers put thier lifes on the line in the war zone and got shot up in the time of battle. If you deem that this "Cause" is not worthy enough to help out then maybe you might want to stay home and let someone else that wants to attend that does believe....... :cool:

Every year the Quad State Herf donates to a certain charity that is picked out months in advance...I have been to them all and as I recall they have all been for great charities such as our Military or the Firefighters who responded to 911 ect...this IMHO is the premier herf of the year, one which Charlie works on and organizes for months in advance in order to enhance the herf to be attractive and raise as much moneys as possible for the Charity. THIS one is especially worthwhile!!!

Hey Charlie,

Dan, you really made me scratch my head on that one. This event is to raise monies for the great "Cause", the Wounded Warriors. I donate to other charities myself all the time, i.e., the local church, boys scouts, food bank, etc. If you feel that this charity is not worth helping out then so be it. These great soldiers put thier lifes on the line in the war zone and got shot up in the time of battle. If you deem that this "Cause" is not worthy enough to help out then maybe you might want to stay home and let someone else that wants to attend that does believe....... :cool:

Go to PM on this one, knowing each of you as tremendous BOTL's, I am sure that this is merely a "typing out loud" issue and nothing that can't be worked out.

Charlie PM'd me on this today and I thought I'd post my response in support of Charlie

"Charlie,
I actually read that post when he did it last night. I am in Arizona with my brother attending a service for one of my cousins who passed away.

I think that Dan's post was probably something best handled as a PM to you rather than to put it up for discussion on the board. I'm sure that there are many people who have other charities they'd like to donate to, Times are tough and money is tight for some. However, Cigar smoking is a luxury that we all enjoy. Some like myself spend way too much of our income on cigars but that is our choice. You want my opinion....
Bottom line is this:
This is your event, you make the rules.
You are nice enough and thoughtful enough to put all this work and effort into providing the best herf I've ever attended and if you want me to donate to Mickey Mouse in order to attend I will.
I donate a sound system to your event and also make the charitable donations. This is what you do.
If someone wants to donate to another charity they can do so. If they want to attend the Quad State Herf and be a member in good standing then they donate to the Wounded Warriors Program.
Take it easy Charlie and don't sweat the small stuff!
Mark"

Hey Charlie,

This speaks volumes.

If you feel there's another charity you are more 'apt fo donate to'...by all means leave the slot open for a member who will support the QSH and it's charity...and go to a HERF that the charity of your choice is holding. :thumbs:

If they want to attend the Quad State Herf and be a member in good standing then they donate to the Wounded Warriors Program.

So what takes priority as far as the Herf is concerned? The charity, or people coming and having a good time? I had refrained from posting my thoughts earlier because Charlie had called me and asked me about my thoughts and told me he was going to have a conversation with Dan about the matter.

I said this before on the phone, and I'll state it again here, not every cause in the world is worthy of your money, of my money, nor everyone's money. That doesn't mean that there are no charities worthy of money either, all are causes that people feel a strong attachment to and want to support. People have preferences to whom they donate to. Just because someone doesn't believe in Charity X doesn't mean they are not a member in good standing, nor do I believe they should be excluded from an opportunity to go to a gathering where many people who haven't seen each other finally meet up again.

I've taken this to PM and will settle it there. I hope this morning's reaction hasn't blemished what the event is for....... :cool:

If they want to attend the Quad State Herf and be a member in good standing then they donate to the Wounded Warriors Program.

So what takes priority as far as the Herf is concerned? The charity, or people coming and having a good time? I had refrained from posting my thoughts earlier because Charlie had called me and asked me about my thoughts and told me he was going to have a conversation with Dan about the matter.

I said this before on the phone, and I'll state it again here, not every cause in the world is worthy of your money, of my money, nor everyone's money. That doesn't mean that there are no charities worthy of money either, all are causes that people feel a strong attachment to and want to support. People have preferences to whom they donate to. Just because someone doesn't believe in Charity X doesn't mean they are not a member in good standing, nor do I believe they should be excluded from an opportunity to go to a gathering where many people who haven't seen each other finally meet up again.

If you don't like the charity...don't sign up.

That last line is just...I'm at a lose...and I'm actually shocked.

Would you attend a United Way charity golf tourny and ask to have the chack be made out to the Red Cross?

Charlie in no way am I suggesting that the charity of your choice is not worth while. Helping out wounded soldiers - that is a great cause. But at the same time Dave has a point that a HERF is a reason for everyone to get together and hang out with each other. Charitable donations should not be mandatory for such get togethers to occur. Neither should the choice of charity. In my opinion charity donations and their choice should be things that every person makes a decision to participate in as of free will.

One thing that you must keep in mind is that you posted the HERF and only later made the charity donation and the choice of the cause a pre-requesite to attendance.

One thing that I did not think off before my first post is that the sponsors did in fact donate based on the cause that was given. So in this particular case I have no problem supporting this cause. But in general I would much rather have a choice in the matter as for this year I would preffer to donate to brain cancer research as at least a few of the board members past away from having this affliction this year. One of the members being a huge part of Quad State HERFs and a regular at Schlesingers.

Charlie in no way am I suggesting that the charity of your choice is not worth while. Helping out wounded soldiers - that is a great cause. But at the same time Dave has a point that a HERF is a reason for everyone to get together and hang out with each other. Charitable donations should not be mandatory for such get togethers to occur. Neither should the choice of charity. In my opinion charity donations and their choice should be things that every person makes a decision to participate in as of free will.

One thing that you must keep in mind is that you posted the HERF and only later made the charity donation and the choice of the cause a pre-requesite to attendance.

One thing that I did not think off before my first post is that the sponsors did in fact donate based on the cause that was given. So in this particular case I have no problem supporting this cause. But in general I would much rather have a choice in the matter as for this year I would preffer to donate to brain cancer research as at least a few of the board members past away from having this affliction this year. One of the members being a huge part of Quad State HERFs and a regular at Schlesingers.

Dan, you should have stopped at the first sentence. ???

Charlie,

I'm thinking we should implement a door charge of 20 bucks for the herf. Too many people who come for the goodies and bolt once the raffle is over. Besides, it'd be a great way to guarantee even more money for the charity. I mean, every year we get a great bag of cigars and accessories and a big percentage chance of winning in the door raffle, so let's do this!!!

What say you and what say others? The idea of a door charge was bought up a couple of months ago and was met by a really good response, a little late now to start changing the rules, come pay the twenty bucks, get a bag of top notch cigars, a door prize, hang out, eat, drink and be merry. Thanks again Charlie for putting so much effort into this.

Common Dan, :laugh: I kinda have to disagree with you on this one. Whether it be a golf tournament, a cigar herf or any other event that involves a charitable contribution, if you would like to participate in the event, then you HAVE to play by the rules of the event.

I also don't think this question needs to be "taken to PM." There's nothing wrong with discussing it in public.

Opps...I don't want to misquote anyone, BigMac's quote ended with "what say others?" and then my comment began...

Opps...I don't want to misquote anyone, BigMac's quote ended with "what say others?" and then my comment began...

Since I never chimed in the first time, I "say" it's Charlie's herf and if anyone wants to attend, they have to play by the rules that Charlie set up. If you don't want to play by those rules, then don't attend.

Common Dan, :laugh: I kinda have to disagree with you on this one. Whether it be a golf tournament, a cigar herf or any other event that involves a charitable contribution, if you would like to participate in the event, then you HAVE to play by the rules of the event.

I also don't think this question needs to be "taken to PM." There's nothing wrong with discussing it in public.

Since I never chimed in the first time, I "say" it's Charlie's herf and if anyone wants to attend, they have to play by the rules that Charlie set up. If you don't want to play by those rules, then don't attend.

MY GOD!!!!! I agree with CC on all counts. The sky is falling....the sky is falling!!!!! :sign: Congrats on your marriage!!!! :thumbs: Dan.....you're a great BOTL but, your request in public was not. Just my opinion. :blush: