• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quality of Hoyo ISOM's

Kento

Hi all,

Just got a few Hoyo DC's, and I am somewhat disappointed with the condition of the sticks. I am not sure if its the roll quality or the shipper's handling of the things, so I need some opinions:

Some have tiny tears/holes in the wrapper(not beetle-like tho), some of the wrappers feel loose, and the consistency of the wrappers from one to another leave a lot to be desired. Some are smooth, some are toothy, etc. I got some Monte's and they are flawless, so I expected the same of the Hoyo's. So, are Hoyo's usually flawlessly constructed? Or does the shipper have ten thumbs, and takes less than perfect care when debanding and packing?

thanks guys

Kento

My limited experience with Hoyos has seen some of the same things. It sounds like you have two different issues here. One is construction and the other is damage caused by handling most likely after the factory.

I'm not a Hoyo fan so you should join me in finding other brands ;)

I hear ya. My pops is financing my recent trips to the dark side, so he wanted to try the "name" brands first. I have been reading a lot of your posts on your favorite ones, and I have been taking notes. I am especially interested in your RASCC(sp), that Ramon Allones Club something or other. When I scrounge up a wad to blow on my own ISOM's I'll send a PM your way for an up-to-date recommendation. :thumbs:

Yep, RASCC aka Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas. They are a "minuto" size 4 3/8 x 42 which is a nice small but flavorful cigar. A box usually goes for $109.00 to $125.00

Other popular minutos are:
Partagas Shorts
Bolivar Coronas Junior
San Cristobal El Principes

I'm am not a fan of the Party Shorts but all of the other three are great cigars :thumbs:

For not much more money you could step up to the "mareva" vitola which is 5 x 42. There are MANY, MANY great marevas out there ;)

As far as DC's, I hate to say it but the Hoyos are my least favorite. :( whereas I LOVE all the other ones (in this order):
SLR DC
SC El Morro (actually a "paco", 7x49 as opposed to 7 5/8 x 49)
RAG
VR DA
Punch DC

I'm afraid you are going to run in to construction problems from time to time with any brand with the possible exceptions of Cohiba and Trinidad. It happens but not that often IME.

I recently had experiences with RASS, PSD4 and HdM EL's. The first two boxes were flawless.

The HdM's had some damage, one stick was a goner, others were flaky and chipping. I chalked it up to handling, although there was no obvious box damage.... interesting.....