• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question about RH beads and humidifiers

jbfurdog

As we all know using the spongy foam disks is not the best source for humidification in a humidor.  I was wondering if anyone has replaced the foam and put  beads in the humidifier that usually comes with a new humi?  If so, did it work well for you or is it not a good idea?

It seems like it would work great in mine seeing how my humidifier has a metal mesh to help hold that spongy crap in place, the beads should rest in there perfectly. 

I'm looking at this as a space saving option as well I don't want to stick a bowl or shot glass full of beads in the humi,  I'd rather fill that space with cigars.

Bah,  searching more terms I was able to find a couple posts already here.  looks like I may have my answer. 

"Search" is a beautiful thing. No worries. We have all posted a post and then found a similar topic or discussion before. Cheers!

Depending on the size of the disc, it may not hold enough beads. I took one of those discs from an old humidor, swapped out the foam for beads, but use that in my 15 count travel humidor. In my desktops, I've got an old cigar coffin that I fill with the beads, and I place that along the front of the humidor, and stack smaller cigars directly in front of it (coronas, robustos, etc) and then the longer ones on either side. 

Technically it should work with the proper beads. The case is just a holder. Either that or a boveda packet placed over your cigar. Just the same. For bigger desktop humidors, you can use a boveda holder for them packets ... It's all the same , just personal preference.

It's a larger rectangular humidifier.  From looking at the heartfelt beads and comparing their recommendations on size of bead tubes I'd need the large one to accommodate my humidor.  Can you open the Heartfelt bead tubes?

Oh yea, and you can spill them all over the floor too. :whistling:

Doc

I bought a tube and filled it so yes they open. Also as Doc pointed out plan on spilling them

CBoukal said:
I bought a tube and filled it so yes they open. Also as Doc pointed out plan on spilling them
The tube work, but occupy space. Take a hard look at Bovedo packs! Like the guys sad, but lay them on top. Bovedo says on pack for 25 sticks. Much simpler and no charging. They last an easy two months and you can recharge them .

WARNING... If you spill them of the floor you pay holy hell and when your foot finds one you will speak in a foreign tongue.

I wouldn't lay a boveda on top of my cigars. You could, however, stand it right up against the front of the humidor, and it would take up much less space than a bed tube.

I'll put them in my existing humidifier and see how it goes. I bought a half pound of 65 RH beads.

Devil Doc said:
Oh yea, and you can spill them all over the floor too. :whistling:

Doc
I think this is mandatory when you use any kind of beads... no matter how careful you are...

Beads also work using surface area...The larger the surface area, the better they work... that's why the sponge container will not work very good... A small open container, or the tube with the holes will work the best...

If you or anyone you know shoots, empty CCI .22LR boxes are the bomb for beads.  The perforated platform pops right out, fill them with beads, put them back together, not bad.  Yes, you can turn them over and spill beads everywhere......but they expose lots of surface area and hold quite a few beads.  Though, with the perforated platform back in the box, you'll typically only spill a handful before they stop pouring out.

gallery_1565_604_5938.jpg

You can also buy nice little 'socks' to put your beads in, which pretty much takes care of the whole spilling thing.  Heartfelt (and others) have them.  Yes, the nice little nylon mesh bags cost a whopping three or four bucks....that seems to stress some guys out, not sure why.

Edited for pre-coffee kick in spelling errors.......

Have fun - B.B.S.

If you've got a woman in your life who doesn't mind giving up a pair of old nylons, they work great as well.  I use them to split my beads up into little batches and distribute them all around my cooler.

BlindedByScience said:
If you or anyone you know shoots, empty CCI .22LR boxes are the bomb for beads.  The perforated platform pops right out, fill them with beads, put them back together, not bad.  Yes, you can turn them over and spill beads everywhere......but they expose lots of surface area and hold quite a few beads.  Though, with the perforated platform back in the box, you'll typically only spill a handful before they stop pouring out.

gallery_1565_604_5938.jpg

You can also buy nice little 'socks' to put your beads in, which pretty much takes care of the whole spilling thing.  Heartfelt (and others) have them.  Yes, the nice little nylon mesh bags cost a whopping three or four bucks....that seems to stress some guys out, not sure why.

Edited for pre-coffee kick in spelling errors.......

Have fun - B.B.S.
bluue13 said:
If you've got a woman in your life who doesn't mind giving up a pair of old nylons, they work great as well.  I use them to split my beads up into little batches and distribute them all around my cooler.
Those are good ideas. I have plenty of empty 22 cartridge boxes. And if I use the nylons I could put the beads in the nylons. Then in the cartridge boxes or the humidifier. Thanks guys.

Just go ahead and lick them now.  Get it over with...

Yeah, search is your friend I use it extensively.  I always use it before asking a question because I see how some people get bashed.

Maybe my search string was not perfect and I didn't see a definitive answer from my queries so I asked.

I did more searching and found my answer... As I mentioned in a post earlier in the thread :)
 I still received some helpful advice.