• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question for foodies

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I tried to recreate my favorite Mexican dish and I failed miserably. It's cheese enchiladas with beef tips and pinto bean on top, drizzled with queso sauce.

It's so simple but I screwed up the cheese, I used Monterey Jack. The cheese filling was rubbery, it still tasted good but the restaurant version has firm but soft cheese when I order it.

Any suggestions?

Maybe they have been using Cotija? Different texture than the gooey American cheeses.

I tried to recreate my favorite Mexican dish and I failed miserably. It's cheese enchiladas with beef tips and pinto bean on top, drizzled with queso sauce.

It's so simple but I screwed up the cheese, I used Monterey Jack. The cheese filling was rubbery, it still tasted good but the restaurant version has firm but soft cheese when I order it.

Any suggestions?
Could be how you're cooking it.
More likely the type of cheese.

Any suggestions?
oaxaca cheese

It’s Mexican mozzarella essentially…

Personally agree with the stone man, quest fresco. Melts well, and if you are older than 18, no rubber needed. 1711918204976.png1711918204976.png

I’ve used a Monterrey jack/cheddar blend for enchiladas. If you are trying to recreate the exact cheese used at a particular restaurant, either ask them what cheese they use, or try out Oaxaca cheese or Quesadilla cheese (this blend is mostly Oaxaca cheese). These are melty type cheeses, similar to mozzarella and in my experience Monterrey Jack. If they used a crumbled type cheese, if salty it was queso ranchero or cotija, if not salty it was queso fresco.

Honestly, I am not going to bash buying food from a generic store brand but, in my experience, both the less expensive Great Value, or Good & Gather are not the same quality product as other cheeses. There is a noticiable difference in cheese creaminess, texture, and flavor. El Mexicano or Cacique are my go to Mexican cheese brands, and the ones that come in a black and white label wrapped in plastic are good also.

What you are describing sounds very Tex-Mex as opposed to a more “traditional” Mexican food dish. I would not be surprised if they used something like gruyere or similar.

Good luck, post pics, and above all, enjoy the journey!

Happy feasting!

Ceasar