• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question on my hygrometer

GDeAngelo

I picked up a Xikar digital hygrometer last night. I have it sitting in a bag w/ some slushy salt/dw. I know you can calibrate it by holding the button down for 5 seconds. Here is my real question. I filled the cap up like normal last night. I don't think there was enough water. It was fairly packed. I let it set over night. I wake up to 68%/69F. It get's cold in my room :( . I pulled out the cap and added just a drop of water. It's kind of "glistening". I did that about 2.75 hours ago. I've bumped up to 69%RH. I know I can calibrate it, but is it really 6% off then what it should be?

-Gianni-

You said that you could calibrate it by holding the button down for 5 seconds. I'm assuming you mean "adjust" it by holding the button down. If thats the case, I suggest you adjust it and then check it by the slush again. If you have 75% after 24 hours then you are on track.

A few things to consider - Double bag the test, or use lock and seal tupperware. I get better results this way. Leave the test to calibrate longer than 24 hours. Also, it is not unusual for a hygro to be off by 6%.

My .02 cents...

Other than that... get beads and forget about it.

mac

You said that you could calibrate it by holding the button down for 5 seconds. I'm assuming you mean "adjust" it by holding the button down. If thats the case, I suggest you adjust it and then check it by the slush again. If you have 75% after 24 hours then you are on track.

A few things to consider - Double bag the test, or use lock and seal tupperware. I get better results this way. Leave the test to calibrate longer than 24 hours. Also, it is not unusual for a hygro to be off by 6%.

My .02 cents...

Other than that... get beads and forget about it.

mac

I got those too, lol. I hate being OCD. :laugh: I will try the tupperware. That makes sense. I mean you can smell an onion through a ziplock bag.

-Gianni-

Tupperware and patience.

Wet the salt, not salt the wet. I use a 1 QT tupper that is mostly transparent. I fill a shot glass about half full of salt and add enough water to turn the salt translucent, then just a few drops more. I want to see the salt move just a tiny bit if I tilt the glass, but I don't want to see any water. Leave the whole shebang alone for 24 hours - that means don't move it. Put it where you can watch without disturbing it. RH will drop a fraction of a tenth of a percent from 70 degrees down to 60 degrees, so don't worry about temp.

After 24 hours, make your adjustment, then run for 24 more hours. Adjust again if needed.

Hmm,

It's been sitting all day and it's only at 72%. Maybe that's fine? I just need to calibrate it?

-Gianni-