• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Questions about Pipe Tobacco Storage and Blending?

GRAY GHOST

I started smoking pipes at age 15, stopped by the time I was 20. Starting smoking cigars in my 20s. I'm 28 now, getting back into pipes again. With that said I'm classified as a 'Noob' since I gave it up for nearly a decade, but am now getting back on the horse!

Forgive the ignorance of my questions, as the last time I smoked was in my teens! :D

1. I'm storing my aromatics in ziploc bags all in the same humidor. Since you can easily smell the tobacco through the ziploc bags, I'm wondering if the different aromatics will "bleed" into one another and affect the different types of tobacco? Can you store English blends in close proximity with Aromatics? I'm considering 'double-bagging' mine, but before I get paranoid I wanted some opinions.

2. Experiment: Say I like a Rum blend that I have, and I also like a separate Vanilla blend...would it be wise to mix the two 'pre-blended' tobaccos together? Obviously some blends wouldn't go well together, but I'm thinking creativity and my own personal tastes can produce some interesting blends by taking other bulk blends and burning them in the same bowl? Do other smokers do that or should I just leave that to the Master Blenders?
I suppose experimentation in this case wouldn't hurt, but I'm curious if other pipe smokers do the same.

Thanks for the guidance, in advance. Told you they were Noob questions.....

I would store anything that isn't in a sealed tin in glass mason jars. Find them in the canning section at your local supermarket or home center. They'll last a little while in plastic bags, but not a long time.

Blending tobaccos can be fun. It can also yield some pretty nasty results. I'd suggest not blending too much together at a time until you get the combo and proportions how you like them. I don't usually blend aromatics, but I've blended a few other blends with decent results.

Have fun!

I dont put my pipe tobacco in humidors, just 4 or 5 mil think bags. And the 245ZBC that I smoke every day is in a leather pouch. The thing I noticed when I used to keep pipe tobacco in a humi is that the tobacco got way way way too wet, and thus went out on me way too much when smoking in a very well seasoned pipe. My solution? Pipe tobacco humidifiers. They don't allow it to get very wet, but prevent it from getting stiff dry, not to mention they cost me all of 1$ a piece.

Yes, just like cigars, pipe tobacco will blend if not stored properly. Whether its a good blend, is a whole different story. If the tobacco is in tins, I keep them in tins. If they are in bags, I try to keep them from being to close to each other. I do have an old humidor that I have put pipe tobacco in so its easier to keep them humidified. Obviously tins touching tins won't blend unless they are open.

I have three storage containers. All are old tupperware that I managed to sneak away with while the wife was distracted. :)

One holds my tins- opened and unopened.

Two holds baggies of aromatics.

Three holds baggies of English and the like.

flavors migrate. aromatics should be carefully segregated. glass jars are adequate. humidor unnecessary.