• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Questions on becoming a Nurse

Physician's Assistant. It's a pretty good gig. You're almost a doctor and you don't usually deal with bodily fluids.

Doc

There quite a few nurses in my family, both male and female, and my nephew is in nursing school at Memphis.  So you can imagine a lot of talk at family gatherings is about nursing.  My sister in law is older and has been in nursing for quite a while and is very opinionated on the subject (hell she is opinionated on everything and most of the time I end up tuning her out).  I was married to a nurse for a while and dated a couple after that.  But that was many moons ago.  So what I can glean is Doc was right on with the BSN thing.  BSN's tend to most desirable.  30 years ago it was almost a must have.  But today things have changed a bit and there are a few programs locally which are accelerated programs for those who already have degree not in nursing.  They are intense from what I can tell as I know a few people who graduated and then decided to go back and be nurses.  The hot things are Nurse Anesthetists and Pysicians Assistants.  My niece who is a nurse married another nurse and he is going back to school to be a Nurse Anesthetist.

In a former career, 2 years removed, I was the CFO of a medical malpractice insurance company and we covered many Nurse Anesthetists and Pysicians Assistants.  I got to know quite a few physicians.  Having had long conversations with them, mostly in duck blinds, they said that both are well paid and sought after, especially in more rural areas where it is hard to attract physicians, but this is Missouri and we have a lot of rural area.  Also, there are certifications and collegiate programs to become and an Anesthetist and a Physicians Assistant which do not need and RN first, so that is worth looking into since you are just starting the investigation.  No matter what you choose they are all a lot of work and clinical time.  .  

Thanks golfgar. Any idea what the school requirements are for a PA or Nurse Anesthetists? Is it like 4 years or school followed by residency like a doctor?