• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quick Report On My Visit To Thompson's Retail Store

MJL

I just wanted to drop a quick report on my visit to Thompson's Retail store in Tampa, Florida.

I was in Central Florida for the Lakeland Rifle & Pistol Club show last weekend. I decided to stop in at Thompson's in the morning before the Friday show set up.

The directions on their website are good and useful. Thompson's in located in an industrial warehouse district north of Tampa International Airport. The actual retail shop is well stocked and manned by friendly, helpful staff. I was actually rather surprised by their willingness to point out their bargains (which upon further investigation on the internet turned out to be true bargains) and to give me useful, detailed directions to other cigar stores in Ybor City and other areas of Tampa. The staff was courteous and well informed about their product but not all over me as I walked around. That said some, but not all prices were slightly higher than I have experienced in some of the better stocked stores in the Miami area. Case point: I had just purchased a box of Padron Maduro 5000s from Padron's in Little Havana last Monday. Thompson's had the same box for two dollars more. The Thompson's products mildly amused me but not enough to drop money down on. I am interested in trying some of their Candela wrappered cigars but that will be another trip. I was holding my money tight as I was headed to the largest gun show in Florida that weekend and cash in pocket was more important than a few more cigars at this point. For some reason I have not run into a retailer in Miami who stocks Oliva cigars. I noticed that Thompson's had a deal on the Flor de Oliva bundles; two bundles (50 cigars) for $80. I took home two bundles and they have turned out to be quite impressive cigars. I will have to take home a few more bundles the next time I am in the area. The Flor de Oliva have a sweet flavor in the mouth and I like that. They smoke mild but full flavored. For the price I could not go wrong. The retail shop is well stocked and has a full line of lighters, cutters and humidors. I actually eyed a few of their humidors but am more interested in coming back when they have some scratch and dent humidors for sale in the shop; I am just going to scratch and dent mine so I might as well get one pre-scratched and dented for a bargain!

In the end I agree with those who counseled me that that I should not go out of my way to visit Thompson's. If you are in Tampa, as I was, I would say the place is worth a drop in to check out their bargains. On the other hand I would not drive too far out of your way to get here and do not miss driving over to Ybor City.

No problem. Thanks for the advice. I am going to come back with some comments and observations about my trip to Ybor City a little bit later today.

I wonder how some of their other stores compare? Anybody been to more then one?

Nice report MJL.

The Flor de Oliva bundles are well spoken of cigars. They are very tasty smokes. :D

Nice report MJL.

The Flor de Oliva bundles are well spoken of cigars. They are very tasty smokes. :D

Yeah, I am going to complete a bundle and then write up my thoughts in a review. I think they are going to replace the Consuegra as my yard mowing cigar! If I can get them for under $2 like I did at Thompson's.