• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Reaching out to my B/SOTLs for coaching pointers...

souldog

OG Post-Whorer since 2008 bitches...
Hey guys and gals,
I'm volunteering at my local P.olice A.ctivities L.eague, and I am going to be coaching a flag football game on February 9th. I have NO experience coaching anything, but I like teaching, and it's going to be cool to reach out to under-privileged kids and show them that the Police aren't the bad guys.

Any input or information you can PM me or post on here is totally welcomed. I don't know know the age group, but I think it's an eclectic group of 9-13 year olds. Thanks in advance!

I've coached youth baseball for my son, but never coached any football. He's played flag football when he was 11 and it seems like something easy to be able to coach. Patience is the key to kids that age because you'll have some that have never played and you'll have some that think they'll be drafted into the NFL so you have to be able to handle the differing attitudes.

Good on you for doing this Jon!

John just have fun. If you have fun the kids will too and they'll keep coming back! I coached all kinds of stuff, soccer, flag football, etc. just stay positive and have fun.

I haven't coached anything but have been involved in Scouts for about 2 years now. My advice is be yourself and do your best. If you make mistakes learn form it and keep going.

John just have fun. If you have fun the kids will too and they'll keep coming back! I coached all kinds of stuff, soccer, flag football, etc. just stay positive and have fun.

Couldn't agree more, but the most important thing is to make sure you have treats for after the game/practice.

Like others have said have fun first and always be positive to kids. I learned from Bill Walsh even when you correct a player you always give a positive comment too. Ex I really liked your effort, next time try and take a better angle...

Have your practices planned out. Don't do too much talking. Kids don't pick up on that. A famous line is stop talking and start coaching.

Break tasks down into pieces and build it up into the whole task. Implement little competitions like races, etc into the tasks to keep the kids motivated.

I could go on for days. Lastly get the ball in the hands of your best players in various ways. Really try to get them the ball in space and let them make you look good!!! LOL

Thanks alot guys for the good info. It will be nice, since a majority of the kids are underprivileged and for certain reasons, they see the Police in a negative light because we generally show up in a time of their lives in a usually negative fashion. I want them to know that the police don't just come to arrest their immediate family members, we do so much more. :)

Have fun was the best advice I've seen Jon. Kids really seem to relate to someone who can be a goofball every now and then.

I coached T- Ball and little leauge for a few years and had a blast. What I can say is that there is almost always that parent(s) that take winning waaay too seriously. You can't let that get under your skin and take away from what really makes it fun. Just ignore that person(s).

Do whatever it takes to WIN!!! :D

Fia has a great point about breaking up skills into small pieces. When you can, use a game or small competition to teach a skill. Coaching this age group is a challenge enough, but coaching in a Police league can be much more of a challenge. I've done both and my Police League baseball team was by far the more challenging. But the looks on their faces when they get a skill down or make a good play is worth every frustration you'll encounter. Generally speaking, the kids you're going to coach don't get a lot of encouragement or positive reinforcement. Give both liberally when it's earned, they will eat that up with a spoon. You'll have to run a tight ship but not too tight, it's a fine line and easy to cross. Good luck Jon, you'll do great.

Remember that the average attention span for kids that age is about 15 minutes. Try to keep the drills in that range or shorter. Look up some games/drills that make it fun for them. There are lots of good sites out there that can help you with planning. Always plan for more games/drills than you think you will get through because many times that one you had planned for 15 minutes may last 5.......

If you're not first, your last! :laugh:

But honestly orange slices, propel/vitamin water and water will be greatly appreciated by the kids.

When a kid/or group of kids lose interest try and wrap them back up in it by making all the "drills" games, and if they fall short it's "Good job, that was great give me a high five!"

No matter what they will have fun, I used to watch my buddy coach a girls soccer team about the same age, and it's just a mass of screaming girls moving about the field with no particular place to go

They love to learn whatever you love to teach. Fill their heads John, they'll never forget you. Great gesture Brother!

"Wining isn't everything; it's the only thing." ;)

Doc

As my father stated, I played many sports. Encouragement Jon, just remember it's a game, that means nothing to everyone but the kids. Win or lose, just make sure they have fun, that's all that matters.

I was a newbie once and these are the best tidbits I can give you.

Keep them busy

Each kid has different skill levels and try to treat them all the same

Learn their names

Make sure that the parents understand that you are not a babysitter. They need to get the kids to practice on time, ready to go and pick them up on time

Get the parents to help. It is a big job.

Our area has forgone the snacks. The kids should be well nourished when they get there, they shouldn't need to eat minutes after burning a couple of hundred calories. Every kid should come with a bottle of water. Give lots of water breaks.

Every kid has a ball. They need have their own ball. They need to bring the ball to practice.

Everyone is doing a great job as long as they put forth the effort.

Get in there and show them the drills, scrimmage with them and get the parents involved.

They should have a coaching class you can attend with videos, pamplets and books. Take notes.

The only reason for kids to play is to have fun.

I referred to drills. What drills are is quick, fun and easy games to teach them skills. They learn to follow directions and handle the ball.

I think it will be very enriching for you. I was/am proud to be a coach.

The comeback route is one of the easiest routes to get varying skill levels to use effectively in flag football.

Gets the player open quite a bit, easy target for QB and easy catching angle for WR so neither has to be perfect.

Sets up the pump and go as well

Good on you Jon...great way to give back. Here's the Cliffs Notes version...

First off, you run some basic drills to see who you have.

Run the 40 to determine...your Offensive & Defensive positions.

1) Quickest, smartest kid is your QB...he runs the show and can remember the few plays you'll design for them and be able to reach the others in the huddle to remind them of which play you/he DID CALL!

2) Fasted kid or two are in your backfield as RB...whether running or minor blocking, you need speed back there.

3) Quickest & bravest as WR to run short passing plays and can remember the basic routes. Gotta be brave to run across the flat.

4) Slow BEEF up front to block on Offense...who cares if the run the 40 in ten minutes, can they protect the QB and open holes for the RB?

5) Quick BEEF (2) to rush the passer from both ends of the Defensive line...Big & Fast!

On Defense, use your QB as a linebacker who can play the middle and 'read' a play (let him roam)...remember, the the smart guy! Use your RB & WR in the Defensive backfield to cover end runs and the WRs in pass patterns....the fast guys. The offensive BEEF will also be the Defensive line with the fastest of them on the ends to rush the QB. Just turn them loose.

Pass drill...EVERYONE should have an opportunity to show you how far they can pass the ball and how accurately they can pass the ball. Let's hope it's the smartest kid on your team! Once they do it stationary, take your top 3 and run a few pass patterns to see if they can hit a moving target. That should identify your QB.

You need to install 6-10 offensive plays...

1) Option Left & Right with the QB and your 2RBs

2) Quick traps to the Left & Right of your center with the QB and RBs

3) Quick slants of both WRs...the pass should be no longer than 10 yds

4) Two or three deep pass plays just in case the opposition is lazy back there.

...and use easy names for the plays that they can remember. "sweep right, sweep left, dive right, dive left, slant left, slant right", and finally, "deep post, deep left, and deep right". Use the KISS method. This can all be done in the first practice if you have a PLAN going in! Bring a clip board, some notebook paper, a magic marker, some safety pins, and a stop watch. Pin a number on each kid as it's hard to remember their names...PLUS, when you use numbers, everyone is EQUAL! Play NO favorites...call them by name AFTER practice.

Drills first as you take notes on the individual kids to determine their potential positions...running, throwing, blocking, and TALKING (to see who are the smartest kids!)

Then assign each kid a position. Create your Offense first and Defense second. EVERY kid plays both ways regardless of how good they are...just hide the weakest ones in the mile of the field! ;)

Make this fun...and that can only be achieved when you TEACH them something...not just turn this into a beer game of sorts for young kids. Teach them some structure and to be responsible to both you and to their teammates for their actions on the field. It's called 'PRIDE.'

Two last things...if they install a kicking game, ask the kids who plays soccer, that's where you'll find your kicker. Do that AFTER practice is over and invite any of them who think they can kick...but the soccer kids usually win this competition.

Secondly, dangle a carrot. 'If you guys win, big pizza, burger, taco, or ice cream party!' Winner get the spoils, losers go home hungry!

Good luck!

PS: If you need help, call them the 'CP Raiders' and we'll all kick in for the victory party!

I coached girls fast pitch softball for 8 years. The best advice I have for you is to coach your team from the level they are... not where you want them to be. If you have young inexperienced players .... then you'll need to spend lots of time on the rules and the basics ... if they are experienced players then you can focus more on advanced techniques. But more than anything ... you must have patience and show lots of smiles and love. You do not want to make any of the players feel as if they are worthless... this can damage them for life... remember that. Keep other kids from making the less athletic feel uncomfortable. Another thing that will help is to not let permenent cliques develope. Make the players switch practice partners as to unite the entire team. But becareful not to place the extremely talented with the extreme novice's with out your direct supervision. Also important is a routine... that way your players know what to expect 90% of the time and can develope instead of being confused. Good luck with parents... they will be your biggest challenge.