• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"real" cedar humidor. Bad idea?

interscape

I have a couple of "real" cedar chests that I have no use for in their current form. They are 40+ years old and still have that strong cedar smell. Is it worth the hassle to line them with Spanish cedar and convert them to humidors or will that strong smell permeate and kill my cigars?
Thanks
Les

The strong smell of the cedar chests would ruin your cigars even if you lined them with spanish cedar.
Use them for blankets or sell them, but don't put cigars in them.

Those old cedar chests are nice, but not for cigars.. You hold on to them and pass them down through the generations. They deter moths, anything wool can be stored in it during the summer.
Frank

Very good. Thats what I needed to know. Is aromatic cedar the only taboo wood? I mean other than manufactured woods.

Much thanks
Les

You could line the chests with plexiglass...

Then you could use em as a humidor.

-Rob

Yeah not good for the stogies. Too bad too because my mother has one and I have seen many nice cedar chests for cheap that would make great table humis :(

no good for smokes as stated in above posts. spanish cedar is the recomended species of wood for humidors.

Mahogany is a good wood for humidors. It also holds moisture well.

But I would not use it in that aromatic cedar chest you have.

Thought I'd bump this one up, I've got a chest in my room that was my kiddie toy box, but well built and nice looking, that I've totally emptied out. I believe it is made of pine, is completely non-aromatic, and is finished inside and out. Any tips on how to convert this one?

Thought I'd bump this one up, I've got a chest in my room that was my kiddie toy box, but well built and nice looking, that I've totally emptied out. I believe it is made of pine, is completely non-aromatic, and is finished inside and out. Any tips on how to convert this one?
put a cooler inside it