• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Recommendations?

mateo

CP Newbie
I am trying to start filling my humidor this week. So far I am bidding on a box of Romeo Y Julieta Special Habana reserve Robustos. But I need some good recommendations on other brands and models to try. I have smoked a few cigars, Rocky Patel, Padron, fuentes, Montecristo, H upman, and some others but I don't remember the exact cigars these were. I would like to keep the prices at a moderate range, but feel free to mention that one cigar I must try no matter the price. I smoked a Cohiba Corona for the firt time last week and it was my favorite non ISOM cigar to date. Not sure what the make of the cigar was, but it was 7.99 at a tobacco store here in town and it was pretty tasty.

Try some 5 packs or samplers before you jump in on the box purchase.

Agreed, this is what I did until I figured out what I liked. :) Also, the newbie sampler thread is excellent. I wouldn't buy boxes until you have found a few cigars that fit the bill for you as go to smokes. My first go to smokes were the Punch Rare Corojos and CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroons, both of which I bought boxes of, but only after having smoked quite a few of them and finding that I tended to gravitate towards them when selecting something to smoke.

Padilla '68, '32, Miami
Don Pepin (black label)
Tatuaje red label, brown label
Joya de Nicaragua Antano
La Aurora 1495
Ashton
LFD

Juat to name a few....and BOLIS!! :D

I wouldn't jump into a box as your taste will more than likely change as you smoke. I would fill up will 2-3 of a variety.

Work of Art by Fuente
Padron 2000 maddie
Oliva (any I like em' all)

Experiment brother and good luck with the hummie!

I concur with all the above. No reason to invest in 20-24 cigars unless you are certain you like them enough to smoke that many. Also, what size is your humidor? For singles you should either check out your local B&M or Tampa Humidor. The staff at your local B&M should be knowledgeable enough to suggest cigars to meet your tastes. They are likely more expensive on a per cigar basis than most online sources. Look at it this way, would you rather spend $8, or $175 (plus shipping) to find out that you really didn't like a cigar? Tampa Humidor is a good place to shop for onesy, twosy buys. They have a good selection, plus free shipping on singles.

I have only tried a couple Romeo Y Julieta Special Habana reserves (I got a sampler from somewhere, can't remember though). I had burn issues, and after searching the internet some found out I wasn't the only one. So just be wary.

From what you've smoked it sounds like we have very similar tastes.
Here are some good ones I really enjoy and I think you will as well:

Rocky Patel Sun Grown
Tatuje Miami
5 Vegas Miami
Oliva Serie O
La Flor Dominica Double Ligero
Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label
Tobacco Baez

:) Just to name a few! Haha hope this helps, these are the backbone to my humidor, give em' a try and happy smoking!

You're on the fun part of getting to know what tastes good......and then trying to remember what you just smoked :laugh:
While smoking, search the 'Net for your cigar using the name and "review" and you'll find tons of sites to jot down the name,size, and what people thought of it.

You can't go wrong with Fuente Sungrowns, maduros, or hemingways. Or Padron "thousand" series, natural or maduro.
Try Oliva, G,O,V series....all good smokes in my book.

Ask for catalogs from online vendors and peruse them while on the sh**ter (I do :p ).

I remember the excitement of my first box, my first 5'ver, and first humidor!

You're tastes will change over the next 6 months......easily. You may not be smoking what you do now, I don't.

No matter what, you're in good company here and you've helped me go down memory lane with this post. Thanks Mateo.

Dave

Try everything you get your hands on that is affordable to you. Samplers are always a good way to go.

Don Pepin (blue label) are great sticks
Tats (brown,red,white) are fairly priced smokes

I am trying to start filling my humidor this week. So far I am bidding on a box of Romeo Y Julieta Special Habana reserve Robustos. But I need some good recommendations on other brands and models to try. I have smoked a few cigars, Rocky Patel, Padron, fuentes, Montecristo, H upman, and some others but I don't remember the exact cigars these were. I would like to keep the prices at a moderate range, but feel free to mention that one cigar I must try no matter the price. I smoked a Cohiba Corona for the firt time last week and it was my favorite non ISOM cigar to date. Not sure what the make of the cigar was, but it was 7.99 at a tobacco store here in town and it was pretty tasty.

I would fully recommend smoking a " Chief " solo... and maybe two to three chisels at a time

Great sounding cigars. I will try to get my hands on some of them soon, thanks for the tips. In the meantime you can check out what I have got so far here.

I got to wait until next payday but I will head out to my B&M (what does that stand for anyhow)? and pick up some blue label garcia's and some Rocky patel sungrown. Maybe a couple others. Oh, and I can't wait to get my hands on a newbie sampler. When I did that years ago I got some great cigars.

For NCs...

Tatuaje
Don Pepin
Fuente (try the Chateau Sun Growns)
Padron
LFD / Litto Gomez

Check out Jack Schwartz, Eric could put together a nice sampler for you. freematches@jackschwartz.com