• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Refining Your Pallette

Mark, great post! :thumbs:

It took me a while before realizing #4 (drinking water or if choosing something else, to make sure it compliments the smoke). Now days, 95% of the time water is all I drink with a good smoke.

Your #2 tip is a VERY good one as well. The smokes that I enjoy the most are usually the ones that I take the time to savor and enjoy slowly. That's one of the reasons I like to just sit back in my hammock chair on my porch and smoke without anything else going on but the thoughts in my mind. Those are often the most enjoyable moments that I have smoking a cigar.

"9.) Once you get these basic techniques down and manage to concentrate on flavors and not techniques (like smoking slower!) I HIGHLY recommend blowing a little smoke through your nose about 2-3 times during each third. Some may argue that they do it every time but I do think there can be too much as the nasal cavity is sensitive and the hot smoke may effect it's ability to decern flavors later in the smoking experience. (You need to find a happy medium for yourself though)."

This one is huge. Every time I feel like I'm losing track of the flavor, I sip my drink (often water), take a breather, and do this. It's fantastic to really "learn" the cigar.

Last night I was smoking a local house brand and although I could taste some subtleties, I did this a few times. Unfortunately the cigar was in fact mostly flavorless :(

Oh well

Also regarding #4, I find the cigar almost always will offset the power of the drink, rather than the other way around. So if you're pairing things, make sure you get something strong enough. A pinot noir is a great wine but it's unique flavors will be crushed by most cigars. If you love wine, definitely get something darker and stronger.

I see a lot of good reviews going up lately so it seems timely to give this great post a bumparoonie. :thumbs:

Wilkey

Thanks for posting this Mark. I found a couple of things here that were new for me. I'll have to give them a try.

Thanks for giving this a bump Wilkey, I missed this the first go around.

Thanks Mark. I have smoking for almost 27 years and have just recently applied some of the smoking hints you mention. They do make a difference. I also like to french inhale on occasion.