• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Regarding OpusX family

VotTak

Well, a couple days ago I tried OpusX xXx(Power Ranger) which was bought here from our member who was kind enough to newbie like me and sell to me a nice Fuente selection of the sticks I was not able to get here in NYC.
I'm not gonna describe the stick as everyone knows it. But somehow I did not really liked the taste. Not that the taste was "not for me", I'd say that I expected something very different in taste(or whatever), more spicey as it was described by someone etc... So, I guess my expectations were kind of high. instead I was basically smoking a cigar, for which I would be ready to pay like $3-5 but not more.
I do not mean to offend guys who loves these sticks. I'm just saying that either it is not my stick or I had too much expectations. Or, maybe Power Ranger is not a good representative of OpusX family? Should I try a different vitola?
To this point I like Hemingway family(especially in maduro wrapper), Don Carlos Maximus, Chateau Fuente SG, although was not impressed by Don Carlos.
Just trying to figure out my preferences and asking for advice.
Thanks.

Different smokes for different folks bro. Sorry you didn't enjoy it all that much. No worries though. Maybe it's just not your taste.

I love that little bad boy though.

I don't think you're offending anyone because we all have different tastes. I wouldn't fret too much about not liking the Power Ranger. I know lots of smokers who think OpusX are overrated, overpriced and overhyped. Your best bet is to just form your own opinions about cigars based on your own experiences. That being said, I'd say the OpusXxX isn't representative of the whole line, and that they all taste better with a little age on them.

So go find yourself a different vitola. But don't expect the world. These are only cigars after all! :D

I definitely think you should give them another try. However, just like Brickhouse said different smokes for different folks. If you find you dont like them I have opened the FFOXRC (Fuente Fuente Opus X Rescue Center) for all unwanted and orphaned Opus. ;) :D

Nick

I say try the Anejo line. It has the full flavor that one expects from the Opus X (but different) with less pepper. It is different, but as a line I think they are the best that Fuente has to offer IMHO. I say go for the #49!

Yep! as Wyatt says - different tastes appeal to different folks.

Some people love the Power Ranger, others not. I had a seleccion #5
two days ago and this little beauty was delicious, some people don't
like the #5.

Opus definately improves with age, perhaps you smoked a sick stick or
maybe you need to smoke a different Opus x or rather,a selection of
vitola from the range, these are some damn good smokes.

Brian

Only Opus I care for is the XXX, other then that I feel they are over priced. I'll stick with my Greycliff espresso's.

The Fuente Fuente is my favorite in the Opus line. I don't smoke them fresh as I think there is too much pepper flavor, but give them a few years and they are fantastic. I do not care for the Hemingway line, but think that Don Carlos are great for the money, and even better when bought below MSRP! I will have to agree with those above that say that people like different things. It is OK to not like Opus.

Only Opus I care for is the XXX, other then that I feel they are over priced. I'll stick with my Greycliff espresso's.

I recently purchased 5 of each Greycliff Expresso, Pyramide#2 and PG. Smoked a PG and it did nothing for me, will smoke another of each before forming a conclusive opinion.

However, I guess this is just another example of "different smokes for different folks" :whistling:

Brian

XXX followed by the Fuente Fuente are my favorites. But as nfulton said, I would try something from the Anejo line to see if you like it a little more.

Bill

LOL and you don't think the Espressos are over priced?

I'll take Opus #5s all day long, don't really care for any of the others.

Starting out with probably the strongest Opus X IMHO may have been to much. Could always try a different Opus X. Like the Anejo line, I prefer the #48 the most. Why I ended up trading 14 of my Anejo #55's since I just dont enjoy them.

Another thing you could try is the Diamond Crown Maximus. Pricey, but ya never know.

Anejo's imo have more of a vegetable gum flavor to them. Anyhow if your looking for spice give a Tatuaje a shot. The Cojonu 2003's have a rasodo wrapper.

i felt the same way after my first opus, and it happened to me a power ranger (xXx), use the 2 cigar rule, try it twice and if you don;t like the first or the second, then forget about them. try a larger vitola of opus, size can make all the difference in some smokes, as i feel is the case with the xXx. my favorite opus is the fuente fuente size. anyhow, good luck.

The Power Ranger is a Power Ranger. This cigar can pack a wallop. It is a very good cigar with a great strong taste and punch. The Hemmis you speak of are more subtle and med to full flavored with a much smoother smoke.

I think you need to try another one. This time let this one sit in your humi a bit to level off. And before smoking it let it sit outside your humi a bit to dry out. These are dfinately a little moist when young.

Wow, everyone seems to love the Fuente Fuente. Now I am going to have to give them a try. BTW, I absolutely love the Power Rangers. The xXx and the DC are my favorite. Perhaps some of the larger sizes might do it for you as they tend to be more mellow from the start.

Nate

I have found that Opus tend to change from box to box and size to size. Don't get me wrong, they are consistent in the majority of charater, and taste. IMHO the larger Opus tend to mello out and provided a stong leathery earthen tone. While the xXx, is a strong and enjoyable smoke a larger (maybe aged) Opus will treat you better.

Oh and hemi maddies are fantastic.

I think that the xXx that he smoked had too much age on it...if you say it didn't pack the spicy punch you wanted, then please tell me who sold it to you, because they are obviously well taken of and have some age on them! I like that line with age...them are yummy!

...give a Tatuaje a shot. The Cojonu 2003's have a rasodo wrapper.

The Tatuaje Cojonu is very quickly becoming my favorite cigar of all time...Yes, I will admit that I am a Tatuaje WHORE!!! :thumbs:

-Fetter

Back