• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Replacing foam in elements

Toaster

Puff Puff Pass v2.0 2004
I'm still of the old school, and use foam based elements in all of my 5 humidors (1 coolerdor). Now, with 5 humi's I've got like 9 elements or something like that... The last time I replaced the foam in them I did them all at the same time. Now today (just refilled them all with DW) and I realized some are holding water perfectly, and others are not absorbing water at all! :angry:

How often do you replace the foam in your elements.

(BTW: Yeah I already know the beads are better ;) )

Did you always use distilled? The only reason I can think of it not absorbing would be because its clogged with the lime, calcium and whatever else is in tap water...but I assume you always distilled, so...if you have the time and make your own PG solution, just change them whenever you have the notion. I personally changed my foam every 3 months or so. Until I took the plunge and got beads. :thumbs:

sounds like the foam itself may be the culprit. I use oasis, from the flower section of the grocery store (clean, new and dry) It comes in a large block and I just asked the girl behind the counter, and she hands me a block of it. Then, i take a kitchen knife and cut the foam to size (green foam, same as came with my Humidor). I know there are two kinds of foam, one is the kind that absorbs water.

Okay i will mention this little trick too, if ya got lots of the green Oasis material, cut the foam to fit a small clean jar ( i use beakers ) and then soak them with D H20, and place in the lower part of the humidor to balance out the humidity. This is helpful in winter time, when RH is very low.

Hope this helps.

:thumbs:

Awesome Idea! Although, I lost all my beakers in my last meth lab bust... :sign:

Seriously though, I think I might have to give that a try. Do you put anything over the top of the beaker, or do you set it in like it's a cigar?

LOL ROFLMAO.....Meth Lab. I look at your avatar and picture him standing there as the cops roll in. WHO ME?

The beaker ( or small jam jar) with the oasis material , is soaked in DH20. I then put it in the center of the bottom or a corner, cuz the humidity seems to diffuse to the top. Its good if your humi is dry in the lower part. The 50% PG and H20 solution also works just fine, releasing what is needed to maintain 70%. Sorry about your meth lab drug bust, damn i hate when theat happens! (PS. dont use your credit card when ordering beakers!) :laugh: