• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review: Reo

matthewjmichael

Original Post Here

Size: Robutso, 5 x 52, Box-pressed

Wrapper: Sumatran seed grown in Costa Rica (Aged 5 years)

Filler: Honduran and Nicaraguan mixed long-fillers

Strength: Medium-Full

Price: Box of 20, $49.99

Grade: 8.8

Coming from Rocky Patel and blended by EO Brands, the Reo was originally released in 2005. I purchased a 5-pack from Cigar Bid a year or so ago and I payed around $17; the boxes are currently on sale at Cigars International. Listed as a medium-full bodied smoke, the Robusto is shaped with a very nice box-press.

Appearance, 1.7:

I used a punch on this stick and the pre-light draw was perfect; the smell from foot to cap was consistently sweet with no variation in between. The box-press was very nice and the triple cap really set this off as a top quality cigar. The stick had a nice weight to it with only sleight veins. The dark, oily stick was complimented by a large, multi-colored band.

Burn, 1.9:

The quality and hold of the ash was nearly perfect. A slight gray with very few inconsistencies in color, the ash held well beyond the first 1/3. The draw from the pre-light matched perfectly during the burn; the draw was superb throughout the entire stick. There were no touch-ups, runs, or re-lights required and the burn was a perfect circle throughout. It lit very easily with a great cloud of smoke from the first puff.

Flavor, 2.6:

The largest deduction of points came in the flavor profile, though this doesn’t say much since very few points were deducted throughout the smoke. The first and last 1/3 carried similar profiles—sweet and a bit mild with a slight hint of peppermint. During the middle 1/3 the more mild sweetness passed and a slight harshness arrived, though very brief; The middle 1/3 showed why this is considered a medium-full smoke, though I’d classify this stick as simply medium. The middle section also brought a bit of pepper in the back of the throat. With the shift in flavor, this stick ranked high for me in complexity.

Overall, 2.6:

This stick ranked perfectly on my value rating; this is an excellent smoke, especially when you can get a box of 20 for under $50. I enjoyed this smoke immensely and would certainly recommend it as a box purchase; this stick has been in my humidor for close to a year and the flavor profiles improved from my earlier smoke a few months back. Final words, an excellent smoke!

Welcome to CP. Head over to the intro forum and tell us a little bit about yourself, and don't forget to fill out your profile.

I have smoked one of these and I was surprised at how good it was, I wasn't expecting much but I was pretty impressed.

I feel like Rocky Patel came from nothing but is returning himself back to the bottom of the totem pole. Besides the Renaissance and maybe the Edge, everything Rocky makes seems to just make him the quick buck. I have yet to try this cigar. Thanks for the posting and welcome aboard.

I feel like Rocky Patel came from nothing but is returning himself back to the bottom of the totem pole. Besides the Renaissance and maybe the Edge, everything Rocky makes seems to just make him the quick buck. I have yet to try this cigar. Thanks for the posting and welcome aboard.

I'd encourage you to try the Reo if you're down on Rocky; especially since this stick is half the price of his other smokes. Also, the Conuco is another pretty good, low-cost stick by RP. Admittedly, I'm a big fun b/c of how much I love the Vintage line.