• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RH% in the winter time with the Heat running

BigCMac

I went to smoke my xmas smoke and found some beetle holes. I was totally shocked and upset. I knew I had some problems with the humi drying out but dayum! So I thought I had a problem fighting the heat running in the house and drying out the air. Anyone else have this issue in the winter months?

I went to grab a stick last night and found the (new) humidor didn't sit/seal correctly but rather cock-eyed. I found the hinge in the back was falling apart, bad. The screws that hold the hinge in had fallen out and the wood had just crumbled completely. This is the treasure dome humi and I've noticed the lid is slightly on the heavy side. I'm not getting any decent support from the ppl who sold it to me so It looks like I'm on my own. I'll be getting some pics of this soon but in the meantime can someone give me an idea possibly of how to repair this? Wood putty? Longer screws? both?

thanks in advance to all!

Cheers.

C

Post some pictures- not sure what you are talking about? Look into a coolidor.

Post some pictures- not sure what you are talking about? Look into a coolidor.

Will do. thanks for the reply. I've built a coolidor out of a 48 qt cooler and will put all my sticks in there tonight when I get home. Tired or worrying about them now...

I went to smoke my xmas smoke and found some beetle holes. I was totally shocked and upset. I knew I had some problems with the humi drying out but dayum! So I thought I had a problem fighting the heat running in the house and drying out the air. Anyone else have this issue in the winter months?

I went to grab a stick last night and found the (new) humidor didn't sit/seal correctly but rather cock-eyed. I found the hinge in the back was falling apart, bad. The screws that hold the hinge in had fallen out and the wood had just crumbled completely. This is the treasure dome humi and I've noticed the lid is slightly on the heavy side. I'm not getting any decent support from the ppl who sold it to me so It looks like I'm on my own. I'll be getting some pics of this soon but in the meantime can someone give me an idea possibly of how to repair this? Wood putty? Longer screws? both?

Cheers.

C

I am slightly confused by your post. Are you worried about the fact you have an outbreak or that your humi is busted? I for one would be a bit more worried that you have beetles. Pack your sticks and freeze them down. In regards to your need for repairs, I will step aside and let more knowledgeable members step in. Just try to avoid anything that has a heavy chemical scent imho.

Cheers.

C

I am slightly confused by your post. Are you worried about the fact you have an outbreak or that your humi is busted? I for one would be a bit more worried that you have beetles. Pack your sticks and freeze them down. In regards to your need for repairs, I will step aside and let more knowledgeable members step in. Just try to avoid anything that has a heavy chemical scent imho.

sorry for the confusion. I am concerned about both. The beetles were found in a cellophane wrapped stick. Should I still be worried? I inspected all the others and didn't see any more. I'm hoping the beetles were already there when I bought the stick, but I doubt it... They were found under the cedar wrapper that's why they went unnoticed for so long.

I was able to get the humi to seal up correctly last night but the hinge is definitely busted. The company offered to repair it for me but is it worth it just for shipping alone? Not sure which way I'll go for now...

I've seen in house RH in the mid 30's, depending on the temps outside and how hard the furnace has to run.

YMMV......B.B.S.

Its normal for your humidification system to work over time during the winter when you have to turn the heat on. Since the heater will dry out the air and this affects the humidor.

Just to add on beetles. My experience is outbreaks usually occur in the summer, not winter, because during the summer is when your cigars may expereince high enough temperatures. Most homes are not kept at temps high enough in the winter to support outbreaks.

Inspected all other sticks in the humi and all looks ok. Hinge still busted but I took it out and can get the top to seal now. to bad I paid real money for this one and they won't replace it. I'll try larger screws one day.

Inspected all other sticks in the humi and all looks ok. Hinge still busted but I took it out and can get the top to seal now. to bad I paid real money for this one and they won't replace it. I'll try larger screws one day.
.....who is "they"...??