• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Decade

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
On my trip to Myrtle beach I visited Nick's Cigar World on the advice of Jackstraw and was very glad I did, it's a great place.

In speaking to Nick he mentioned that Rocky had been there a week or so earlier and informed him he was not making the Decade any more because he didn't like it......he was going to rework it. Rumor from another source is that it's based more on a financial problem but the bottom line is that if you like these cigars you may want to buy some because according to Rocky (through Nick), he is not releasing any more.

I have tried a couple of these cigars and really did not think much of them--have 1 or 2 in the cooler and will let them rest for a period of time and see if it helps--my .02 cents

That's depressing. After all the hype, I was looking forward to trying one. Guess this saves me the trouble. Thank's for the info.

By the way, how many rounds did you get in?

CA just gave the Torpedo a 95 and the rest got low 90s. Worse cigars have stayed on the market with lower scores.

BTW,
I really like the cigar and if true, need to buy a box asap.

That's depressing. After all the hype, I was looking forward to trying one. Guess this saves me the trouble. Thank's for the info.

You should still try one for yourself John. As the sentiment seems to be mixed you may enjoy them. As for me, there really isn't a cigar I can think of that I've had that I wouldn't try again. With that said, this was certainly one of the least enjoyable cigars I've ever had..... just not at all crazy about the flavor profile. Whether for financial reasons or personal taste, I think it was a wise decision to rework this one. For the price point, the hype and the positioning of this stick in the Patel repertoire this should be a much better smoke imo. I'm telling you...... I don't know if anyone is familiar with Indian Ganesh Beadies(small indian cigarettes I used to smoke as a teenagaer) but this is what this cigar reminded me of. A big, oversized beadie! Just not quite what I'm looking for in a quality cigar.

edit:spelling

I currently have one sitting in my humi, and i was talking about this cigar with beyondtheBand last night, so I'll have to smoke to see if I like. If so, I'll be buying a few more then...

Did anyone else hear thayt RP is not making the Edge Sumatra anymore??

I personally enjoyed the Decade. It's not a real strong cigar, the flavors are real subtle but there are a lot of different ones. This is a cigar you almost have to sit back and concentrate on the flavor to get the most out of it.

It's a pretty complex cigar and if you like the real strong flavors that are going to just hit you, you probably won't enjoy it. Personally I enjoy sitting back, relaxing, and trying to see what flavors I can pull from a cigar. It's almost a game now, trying to name the different flavors I can taste and see how many I can get out of a cigar.

I went to a Rocky Patel event yesterday and mentioned this to the rep. he said he heard nothing about this and that the decade was still going to be produced.

You should still try one for yourself John. As the sentiment seems to be mixed you may enjoy them. As for me, there really isn't a cigar I can think of that I've had that I wouldn't try again. With that said, this was certainly one of the least enjoyable cigars I've ever had..... just not at all crazy about the flavor profile. Whether for financial reasons or personal taste, I think it was a wise decision to rework this one. For the price point, the hype and the positioning of this stick in the Patel repertoire this should be a much better smoke imo. I'm telling you...... I don't know if anyone is familiar with Indian Ganesh Beadies(small indian cigarettes I used to smoke as a teenagaer) but this is what this cigar reminded me of. A big, oversized beadie! Just not quite what I'm looking for in a quality cigar.

edit:spelling

You are absolutely right. I will try one. Everybody's tastes are different. I was letting myself be influenced.

I bought 2 a while back. Had one and as a Rocky fan I found it not to be memorable but OK.
I will revisit it after it sits a little longer.

Havn't heard anything about the Decade but can confirm that the Edge Sumatras are no longer being made. It was a "limited" production.

I really disliked this cigar. It had zero taste, was milder than anything else, and really was not worth the money it cost. I gave all of mine away slowly.

I really disliked this cigar. It had zero taste, was milder than anything else, and really was not worth the money it cost. I gave all of mine away slowly.

He gave me one of his.

He was 100% right. It was terrible. I mean, there's no real other word for it. For that much $ per cigar, it should be great. But it was like inhaling in a room that has thin residual smoke in the air. Any flavor was stale and non-distinct.

I spoke with my Rocky rep TODAY and he said that the rumor is untrue. The Decades are going to be continued and there is another rating coming out in CA next month. Rocky is happy with them and has NO plans to discontinue the cigar. It's their hottest selling cigar right now.

Folks, I'm the Rocky rep who spoke to Uptown. I wanted to clear the air here:

EVERYTHING WRITTEN IN THE ORIGINAL POST IS UNTRUE.

I spoke to both Rocky and to Nick. Yes, they had a conversation about the Decade. And what was said was that in the coming months it would be increasingly difficult to keep these cigars in stock. Why? Not because Rocky was unhappy with the blend or is having financial woes. Because he just received a sick group of scores in a recent Cigar Insider vertical test. 91 for the Toro; 92 for the Lonsdale; 93 for the Robusto; and 95 for the Torpedo. One of these scores (the Toro) has already appeared in Cigar Aficionado and that size immediately sold out. Other scores are due to make it to the tasting section in future CA issues. Therefore, Rocky is anticipating a high demand for these cigars, and possibly a backorder situation, much like what happened with the Oliva Serie V when it's 94 rating went to print.

The only recently discontinued cigar was The Edge Sumatra, which was a special limited edition version in the first place.

So this is the real story behind the Decade. We hope you enjoy the cigars.

Cheers.

Folks, I'm the Rocky rep who spoke to Uptown. I wanted to clear the air here:

EVERYTHING WRITTEN IN THE ORIGINAL POST IS UNTRUE.

I spoke to both Rocky and to Nick. Yes, they had a conversation about the Decade. And what was said was that in the coming months it would be increasingly difficult to keep these cigars in stock. Why? Not because Rocky was unhappy with the blend or is having financial woes. Because he just received a sick group of scores in a recent Cigar Insider vertical test. 91 for the Toro; 92 for the Lonsdale; 93 for the Robusto; and 95 for the Torpedo. One of these scores (the Toro) has already appeared in Cigar Aficionado and that size immediately sold out. Other scores are due to make it to the tasting section in future CA issues. Therefore, Rocky is anticipating a high demand for these cigars, and possibly a backorder situation, much like what happened with the Oliva Serie V when it's 94 rating went to print.

The only recently discontinued cigar was The Edge Sumatra, which was a special limited edition version in the first place.

So this is the real story behind the Decade. We hope you enjoy the cigars.

Cheers.

Thanks for the input, sir. I'm glad you felt compelled to register and offer more accurate information. You should fill in your profile a bit and contribute here. It'd be VERY cheap marketing.