• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel "Patel Bro's"

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
Rocky Patel "Patel Bros"
Size: 5" x 50 rg Robusto
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleafe
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Strength: Medium

(Forgive the lack of pictures, was at the lounge and didn't have a camera.)

I picked this cigar up while at the lounge (in fact I am sitting here as I write this), deciding that while not being a big Rocky fan, I am always willing to try a new cigar and give it the benefit of the doubt. I've seen it mentioned here a few times that this new release is actually pretty dang good, so while poking around in the humidor this stick grabbed my attention. From what I have heard from the rep, this is a similar blend as the Winter line, though I have not had that cigar so I cannot compare.

Pre-Light

If there is one thing I have to give to Rocky Patel, is that the construction on his cigars is usually nicely done, and this one does not disappoint. The cigar feels heavy and solid in the hand, with a tightly wrapped oscuro wrapper that features no major veins. The cap is nicely applied, and compliments the perfectly bunched foot nicely. The band is rather large, but done in such a way that it is pleasing to the eye.

Burn & Draw

I started off by punching the cap, and on finding the draw to be a bit on the tight side, I decided to cut the head as well which opened up the draw to a perfect resistance. Once lit, the burn stayed razor sharp, revealing a weak ash that dropped in my lap in chunks for a couple minutes, and then ceased. Not my favorite thing to happen, but I'll forgive it as it was only a brief problem.

Flavor Profile

The initial pre-light draw flavors were of spicy tobacco that left my lips tingling, and once lit I was immediately greeted by a peppery blast both in the mouth and nose. Flavors for the first third of the cigar were a mix of a solid tobacco core complimented by a good earthiness like that of damp earth, woodiness and a slight vanilla bean taste that surprised me a tad bit. The finish was somewhat short though rich, with a spiciness to it that was delicious. Moving into the second third the woodiness picked up, and a touch of harshness crept in. Luckily, after purging the harshness failed to rear it's ugly head again, so hopefully it was just due to my smoking too fast. On progressing into the final third, the flavors stayed much the same save for a bit of leather that was on the finish.

Overall Impression

While this cigar didn't blow me away, I would say that it was certainly better than most of the Rocky's I have had thus far. The flavors were good, though not complex by any means, and overall the cigar was a solid performer in the taste department. I'd smoke more of these, though I am not sure if it would make it into a regular rotation here at the lounge. I'll smoke another to see how it stacks up to the first, and perhaps I'll hide a few in the humi to see how a year treats them.

Picked up one of these the last time I was at the store and it's resting for now. Sounds like a decent smoke - will have to post my thoughts when I get a chance to fire it up.

Thanks for the review! :)

I really enjoyed this. I agree that it would not be the most complex in taste compared to others; but is one of the best Rocky's out there. It was very consistent and smooth. The spice was not too over powering. I really am glad they way this cigar came together and finished. Comparing it to the recent 1961 I had though, I would say the 61 is a better to smoke more often and the Bros. better when in the mood to relax for a while.

I recently smoked one of these and while I am not a great fan of RP, I really enjoyed this one. My experience with the ash was a bit different, it did not drop until half way through the stick and then I was able to pick up most of it intact off the floor.

I think they may be even better with some time on them.

Thanks for the review,

Ken

Nice review Charles. This isn't one I've tried yet, but I've heard good things. Glad you enjoyed it.

Very Nice review bro.

I always RP sticks. Going to smoke a Cuban Blend Maduro Now..

I'll post a review. :)

Led.

I'm smoking a RP 1961 right now as we speak, and I would have to say that I am enjoying it more than the Patel Bro's. Little more complexity, and the power seems to be a touch lighter than the Patel Bro's. Not bad!

Smoking one now and it's developed a bad tunnel on one side. Flavor was good before this developed, though. Good strength, as I'd expect from a Nic stick. Tunnel is drawing more air and producing less smoke now, so flavor is muted. Price was cheap, iirc, so I'll pick up some more, though.

-John

This sounds pretty good to me. But then again, I've always been a big Rocky fan. I'll have to grab a fiver of this one.