• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Sungrown

XxMerlinxX

I am a leaf on the wind...
I'm not really even sure where I picked this stick up from, but it's the first sungrown I've ever tried. Come to think of it, it may be the first Rocky Patel I've ever tried also, not too sure about that though. Anyway, here's a little more about the stick.

Wrapper: 5 Year Old Ecuadorian Sun Grown Rosado
Filler: Brazilian, Dominican, and Nicaraguan
Size: Toro

Prelight Impressions: The wrapper is a pleasantly dark reddish brown with some medium sized veins running through it, no soft spots were present. Nice smell and upon clipping and prelight draw, tastes of unrefined sugar that's a bit spicey. The sugar bit is strange, I know, but the first thing that came to mind was "dark sugar", whatever that is. The cigar is well made if a bit sloppy towards the cap. No trouble with clipping though and the draw seems a bit firm, maybe a bit too firm but it should be alright.

First Impression, Post Light and First Third: Again the "dark sweetness" comes to mind, but with little spice this time. I read a review on this stick done by Kingantz and I could see how someone might get "tomato" out of the flavors if one had that on their mind, the sweetness that's here is sort of like that. I'm wishing the draw was a bit better, but I'm scared about trying to open it up more in light of the ratty cap that was on it. The amount of smoke it puts out is somewhat mediocre, but it paints the mouth fairly well and is truly a smooth smoke so far. Towards the end of the first third I really picked out a bit of cocoa, which I hope continues.

Second Third: The flavor profile has changed a little bit. That "dark sweetness" is still there and the hints of cocoa come and go. I get more cocoa after I purge, but it's really hit or miss. Hasn't really been much spice to speak of, though it's definitely proven to be a medium plus smoke. Still quite smooth, even after puffing on it a good bit. Ash has been a mottled light gray and is fairly tight, though I've ashed twice because I'm afraid of spilling it all over my keyboard.

Last Third: The cocoa did indeed get a bit more prevalent towards the end. With about an inch or so to go, I finally put it out once it started getting slightly harsh.

Overall I'd give it a 6.5 or maybe a 7. I don't know that I'll try one of these again anytime soon, but might get a fiver to stash away for a while. I definitely want to try another Sun Grown from another maker, maybe the Fuente Hemingway that I bought while in Vegas.

I liked these when they first came out but I haven't smoked one in a while. I have 5 or 6 of the torpedos from 3 years ago or so that should be pretty tasty, I need to fire one up soon.

Thanks for the review. The Sungrowns are my favorite in the RP line, though I don't smoke them often.

Ken

I doubt it's the first sungrown you ever smoked. Ever smoked a Padron natural? If it's not a CT. shade it must have been grown in the sun.

Doc.

I doubt it's the first sungrown you ever smoked. Ever smoked a Padron natural? If it's not a CT. shade it must have been grown in the sun.

Doc.
I thought the majority of natural wrappers were made from shade grown plants?

Doc.
I thought the majority of natural wrappers were made from shade grown plants?
Nope. The funny thing is, an Ecuadorian sungrown wrapper is really a cloud grown wrapper. The sun hardly ever burns through the clouds.

Doc.

Every Sungrown I have bought has needed some aging time....even just 6 months makes a difference depending on when they were made. I actually bought some and decided to save one about 2 years ago until I got a raise at work....well a year and 3 months later made a world of difference and it was the second best thing of the day.

Thanks for the review. The Sungrowns are my favorite in the RP line, though I don't smoke them often.

Ken

One of my fav's by RP, epic win! :thumbs:

If you get the chance, also try the Decade, Olde World Reserve and the Summer Collection.

Nick

Just finished a RP sun grown, my first.......thinking I am going to get a couple more as it was fantastic.

I love them, I just ordered a 5'er of them. Maybe someday I'll get a box.