• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel

Rafiki

I like everything of his that I have tried but haven't bought any in about a year or so. The shop that I normally get smokes from doesn't carry them. I just went on cbid and won some Rocky Patel Fumas 6 x 44. Got 10 for $1 each plus shipping. Anyone tried these yet and if so what is your opinion?

The vintage 90 & 92 were good but my favourite of his was probably the Fire Corojo from a couple of years ago.

We normally do a search in the Cigar review forum. Newbies tend to ask without searching first.

I personally am not a fan of R.P. Insight is.

I'm not too sure of his short filler 'gars, but that man makes so many blends it's hard to keep up. Good advice about the search function, somebody just did one recently on his Ocean Club.
I just got a 5ver of his Decade and was just about to smoke it tonight while walking the dog,but decided to let it rest a little longer from the recent shipping trauma.

I recently discovered the olde world reserve lancero maduro. That was one fine smoke! :thumbs:

The Olde World Reserves are a nice solid smoke. I have tried some of his other stuff as well. His lines to me seem to be fairly consistent good smokes, not normally a ton of complexity, but overall pretty solid. I have not tried the Fumas that you mentioned.

Yeah, RP has too much stuff if you ask me. I like the 90 and 92's, just had a Renaissance that was awesome, hated the R4... I've heard mixed things about the Fumas, but I did find at least one person who liked them when I did a quick search. You'll have to let us know what you think when you get them.

Like everyone else here I too think that RP has way too many cigar lines out there. I am not a big RP fan, but I have friends who are. I can say that I really enjoyed the Decade.

Rocky USED to have a lot of lines out. Don't be confused with the many cigars he makes for places like CI, Famous, etc.... Stick to his traditional lines...ie, Decade, Old World, 90, 92, 99, Renaissance, and Edge. All the other crap, like the Fusion, Fumas, Ocean...stay away from them. Most of these are short filler. His very best cigar hasn't come out yet, but it's called the 1961, commemorating the year he was born. Also, the Patel Brothers is the old winter blend, which was their most popular seasonal blend.

Thanks for the info Isy, I didn't know that about the other lines versus the primary ones. That makes sense why those are consistantly better. I'm now looking forward to trying the 1961 when it comes out!

I've had a handful or so of the fumas. They were too tight when I got them. After many months they are smokable, but not by my tastes. I've got a bunch more that just take up space. Not a fan at all.

Thanks for the info Isy, I didn't know that about the other lines versus the primary ones. That makes sense why those are consistantly better. I'm now looking forward to trying the 1961 when it comes out!

From what I know about the 1961, it's made in the NEW factory in Nicaragua, using mostly Nicaraguan tobacco. I've only smoked one, and I loved it. Rocky's best cigar....hands down!

From what I know about the 1961, it's made in the NEW factory in Nicaragua, using mostly Nicaraguan tobacco. I've only smoked one, and I loved it. Rocky's best cigar....hands down!

Just finished a Edge Sumatra. Looking forward the 1961. Any idea when to look for it Isy?

Just finished a Edge Sumatra. Looking forward the 1961. Any idea when to look for it Isy?

Unfortunately, not until October.

Unfortunately, not until October.

I think the biggest unfortunate part is that everything is dropping in October!!! Can wait to not have money that month.

I love the decade and have burned through nearly two boxes. I also enjoy the 1990. I think the fumas are made from the scraps of the Vintage lines.

IMHO the OWRs are best, but they've had construction
problems, lately. I don't understand the raves of
the Decades, and haven't had a Vintage 90/92 in some time.
The 2008 Winter blend was pretty good, with a metallic taste
for me. Edges are good, affordable smokes, especially the
Missiles. Never had an REO or Vibe, and don't plan on any.
Had one Renaissance, and would revisit it.

A sign at Holts, today, said Rocky will be there on 9/9
and 9/10, IIRC.

Chemyst :cool:

Unfortunately, RP doesn't do much for me anymore. I guess the only RP that I do enjoy are the Decades and the Sumatra, but if I'm mistaken, I don't think they produce that stick anymore.

I like some of Rocky's offerings, but rarely buy them anymore. He's just too damn inconsistent, when similarly priced lines taste better to me anyway and are generally bang-on every time. Loved the Edge when it came out, then it was crap for awhile when he substituted for part of the blend, then it got better again but never quite as good. Same thing with the Sungrowns, one of my favorites by him---one shipment will be blah, the next will be freakin' fantastic. And you never know for sure which it'll be.

Plus, he went viral with the rumor that the Renaissance was the Edge Sumatra in new sizes and packaging, and NO IT AIN'T! :rolleyes:

~Boar

I like some of Rocky's offerings, but rarely buy them anymore. He's just too damn inconsistent, when similarly priced lines taste better to me anyway and are generally bang-on every time. Loved the Edge when it came out, then it was crap for awhile when he substituted for part of the blend, then it got better again but never quite as good. Same thing with the Sungrowns, one of my favorites by him---one shipment will be blah, the next will be freakin' fantastic. And you never know for sure which it'll be.

Plus, he went viral with the rumor that the Renaissance was the Edge Sumatra in new sizes and packaging, and NO IT AIN'T! :rolleyes:

~Boar

I never heard that about the Renaissance being the Sumatra. But if one shipment is great, then buy a box or 2 from THAT shipment. I didn't like the Decades when they came out, but I like them now. They're different now....and that's why I bought boxes of them, in case it changes again.