• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RyJ A/T No. 2

dave43

Just had one yesterday. It was excellent. Had a little of a fuller Partagas flavor but was also creamy. I thought it was very complex for such a cheap smoke. Why haven't I seen much about these. I got it as a single so it was probably pretty young.

The 02's are smoking well. Although, it was a little sharp and strong, but with major hints as to the flavor.
The 'sharp'ness part may be due to recent shipping and not 'rested'!

Maybe a dumb question but why are most smokes that are in tubes priced low?

That was more true in the past than it is today. Back then, the most expensive tubos were the various Churchills (Punch, RyJ, Bolivar) but in the last two years, there has been a resurgence in the tube again. The inexpensive tubed cigars still exist, but they'be been supplemented by a whole new crop of premium cigars in tubes. Cohiba Siglo VI, Montecristo Edmundo, SLR Churchills, etc.

I'm still waiting on a box of SLR-DCs in tube and Cohiba Maduro5 in tubes. Yum!

Wilkey

Actually this is a good question. It used to be tubed cigars were machine made but that's not the case anymore. Another explanation would be inferior tobacco but I feel in the case of the RyJ No.2 that they are making a quality smoke for a good price.

There are many smokes in Tubes that are not cheap.

Upmann Monarchs

RyJ Churchills

Punch Monarcas

Cohiba Siglo II, VI

Monte Tubos

These are just some tubos that are far from cheap.

The RyJ #2 A/T is a fantastic inexpensive tubo which is hand rolled. The nice thing about these is that they generally need only 3 years of age before they are good. The reason you don't see much talk about them is because people assume that because of the cheap price, they must be machine made. Along with the Upmann Corona Major and Partagas Corona Senior, these 3 cigars represent incredible value in a tubed cigar.

I've always like the RyJ Romeo series of tubos. One of my first CC's was a Romeo No. 2. :thumbs: I can still remember how creamy, floral, toasty, and cedary it was!

I've heard everyone talk about how mellow the RyJ tubes are but, damn, they kick my ass every time. Just like the Partagas Coronas. In the inexpensive tubos, I really, really enjoy the Upmanns and the Partagas Deluxe. The Upmanns are probably my favoritest tubos lines overall.

Have a look at my tubos collection here. :cool:

Wilkey

RyJ No2 tubos are one of my favs. (note my avatar ;) ) I've got a bunch of them resting in my humi right now. If I pass by a B&M I'll usually pick one up.

That was more true in the past than it is today. Back then, the most expensive tubos were the various Churchills (Punch, RyJ, Bolivar) but in the last two years, there has been a resurgence in the tube again. The inexpensive tubed cigars still exist, but they'be been supplemented by a whole new crop of premium cigars in tubes. Cohiba Siglo VI, Montecristo Edmundo, SLR Churchills, etc.

I'm still waiting on a box of SLR-DCs in tube and Cohiba Maduro5 in tubes. Yum!

Wilkey

wilkey-
this is a trend and it will continue to develop. i'm sure you have already seen the ads for the new party tubos, h.upmann mag 50, and the hdm epi esp.
with the new designs and bolder graphics, the tubes will be a big growth sector for HSA.
we generally find the tubos to be 8-10% more expensive, if the cigar is offered in a non-tubo format.

fwiw- ive had 2 customers tell me they prefer the r&j tubo to the slightly box pressed version in the dress box.

cheers
drew p