• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Saint luis rey serie A.

Mephiston

Back in dec i was discussing the ins and outs of cubans with cat. At the time i was looking to pick up my first box from the dark side. His #1 recomendation was the slr'a. So knowing nothing except word from a brother here i ordered. When the box FINALLY arrived i have to say even my wife was excited to recieve a package covered with stamps and from hong kong lol. Anyways I fired my first that night. A little dry, but to excited to care. I smoked my first ISOM. Since than i have gone through about half the box and find that one of my favorite cigars has had no write up done yet (at least not from me).
Tonight topped it, i started the day with an very inexpensive Drew Estate cigar(unflavored) that i'll be damned if i can remember the name of. But it was not bad.
Later I had my usual Captain and dr.pepper and as i prepared the second drink decided it was time for an slr(yaaa buddy). The first i fired was a pain in the arse plugged and unfixable even.I grabbed another and fired(that was the first plugged one by the way). The taste is one i can recall all the time even when its been a day or two.I notice a definate hint of peanut in this smoke esp. towards the end. And it just gets better and better as i go. To a point even that i wish i had a pair of hemo's from highschool" Hmm wonder what those were for" ? As you continue to smoke this cigar it never gets hot, has plenty of smoke and is smooth and creamy with just enough spice to satisfy. This cigar is superb. When you first fire it is a little spicy and than mellows as you go. But than it starts to heat up again bit by bit as you smoke and the flavor just multiplies over and over the shorter it gets.The finish is always wanting for another puff, and i have found myself steam rolling through on occasion. Please excuse the spelling and stuff i suck what can i say spell checker visits often here.This is by far the best cuban i've had...wait its the only one i've had.Thanks again bill.

Oh CC and those SLR A's :p . Go for the gold...go for Cohiba. :thumbs: Now, that's a smoke.

ree

ree ree robusto said:
Oh CC and those SLR A's :p . Go for the gold...go for Cohiba. :thumbs: Now, that's a smoke.

ree
[snapback]163183[/snapback]​

I just had my first Cohiba ISOM (Siglo IV). I have to say, I was a bit disappointed with all of the hype I was hearing. Tight draw (i figured was owed to the small ring gauge) and ho-hum flavor (not as strong a flavor as I would have suspected). I did gat a HUGE buzz off that baby (wishing now I had eaten a big meal before smoking it...)

I really enjoy the DR Cohiba's (both the red dot and XV's), so I was less than pleased with the results of the ISOM Cohiba I smoked. I have been having trouble getting my hands on ISOM Cohiba's, but I'll have to patiently wait until one comes around again...

I LOVE Monte #2 ISOM's - especially with age!!!! They are still my favorite!!! I'm told I must try an Explendido...

Glad you liked them. The Siglo IV and the SLR Serie A are the same vitola.

I see that you had a problem with some of them being plugged. I too have had a few SLR Serie A with minor plugging problems that were easily remidied with a cigar poker.

Well, I say "cigar poker" but I don't have a fancy cigar poker, a strightened out paper clip workd fine. For more sever cases, I screw a drywall screw into the clipped end, hold the cigar firmly in the other hand and yank the screw out. The threads on the screw remove a small quantity of tobacco giving you a cigar that you now won't turn blue trying to draw :D

Feel free to try those overpriced, over rated Sig IV's but I think the SLR Serie A is a far superior smoke. ;) I concur with ggiese's obsevations on the Sig IV:
and ho-hum flavor (not as strong a flavor as I would have suspected)

I smoked a CoRo the day before yesterday is not only was the flavor ho-hum, it was a little harsh, it burned crooked and got pretty nasty down near the end. I can't say I've ever had an SLR do that......

coventrycat86 said:
Well, I say "cigar poker" but I don't have a fancy cigar poker, a strightened out paper clip workd fine. For more sever cases, I screw a drywall screw into the clipped end, hold the cigar firmly in the other hand and yank the screw out. The threads on the screw remove a small quantity of tobacco giving you a cigar that you now won't turn blue trying to draw :D

[snapback]163255[/snapback]​

LOL.... I thought what I used was bad...... I tried the paper clip and put it thru the side of the cigar... now I use a small drill bit ... not in the drill (of course) :laugh: , it probably works the same way the drywall screw does.

ggiese said:
I'm told I must try an Explendido...
[snapback]163197[/snapback]​
throw your addy in your profile (or pm it to me), and you just might get to try a li'l somethin' somethin'. ;)

Just had my first one of these (picked up from George's pass). 3/03 date so it had some age on it. :thumbs: Prelight aroma was fantastic and wrapper was a little rough with a few veins. Boy oh boy, did it taste good! :love: Now I know why CC loves these so much. I'm on a big Corona Gorda kick right now and this fit the bill perfectly. Draw was alittle tight but not too bad. Definitely had a taste of cedar and cream (about the only two tastes I can pick up on). Smooth, mild to medium body. I would rate it 92 on CA scale. Probably my next purchase...

:cool:

I purchases some SLR 'A's a while back. Out of 15, about 6 or 7 were so hard to draw I had to toss it. When they pulled, they were awesome!

My wife says it makes her "nervous" to get those packages with "foreign stamps" on them! :laugh:

So I try to make sure she doesn't see all of them... ???

Not much of a fan of the SLR line. Just too light for me, excepting the double corona. For me, all the flavors really come out in this size. Unfortuneately they are also prone to being seriously plugged.

My solution? I keep one of those bamboo skewers from shish kebabs handy. Works for me.

BkCloud114 said:
coventrycat86 said:
Well, I say "cigar poker" but I don't have a fancy cigar poker, a strightened out paper clip workd fine.  For more sever cases, I screw a drywall screw into the clipped end, hold the cigar firmly in the other hand and yank the screw out.  The threads on the screw remove a small quantity of tobacco giving you a cigar that you now won't turn blue trying to draw :D

[snapback]163255[/snapback]​

LOL.... I thought what I used was bad...... I tried the paper clip and put it thru the side of the cigar... now I use a small drill bit ... not in the drill (of course) :laugh: , it probably works the same way the drywall screw does.
[snapback]163284[/snapback]​

Sometimes if a cigar is really plugged bad I use a really long drill bit, in the drill, and drill through the whole SOB :laugh: . Works great. Had to do it to a bunch of BBFs, never a SLR though.

atuck said:
Sometimes if a cigar is really plugged bad I use a really long drill bit, in the drill, and drill through the whole SOB :laugh: . Works great. Had to do it to a bunch of BBFs, never a SLR though.
[snapback]199629[/snapback]​

That is classic :sign: . I love that. Sounds like what my friend Brian would do. If it doesn't work, get a bigger hammer. :p

On the topic of the SLR Serie A, that is a great cigar. I agree that it is light-bodied, but it has some great flavors. I have a box of Regios from 03 that are very good cigars. I have a couple of Serie A that are better. Just seems to have a more pronounced flavor profile.

The draw problems seem to be with the older box codes '00, '01, '02. All the '03 & '04 SLR Serie A that I smoked have been fine.

tazziedevil said:
I think the SLR A's are one of the most underrated Cuban smokes out there.
[snapback]199825[/snapback]​

No they're not they SUCK, they're TERRIBLE, they're PLUGGED, they TASTE LIKE CRAP.

No one should buy these, BAD CIGAR, buy Sig IVs or Mag 46s instead.

STAY AWAY FROM SAINT LUIS REY
(Hey, I made a new jingle!)

(More for me) :laugh: ;)

coventrycat86 said:
The draw problems seem to be with the older box codes '00, '01, '02. All the '03 & '04 SLR Serie A that I smoked have been fine.
[snapback]199823[/snapback]​

:0 I may have just ordered a box from '00. :(

mrjinglesusa said:
coventrycat86 said:
The draw problems seem to be with the older box codes '00, '01, '02.  All the '03 & '04 SLR Serie A that I smoked have been fine.
[snapback]199823[/snapback]​

:0 I may have just ordered a box from '00. :(
[snapback]199835[/snapback]​

Switch the box if it's not too late! :sign:

I picked up a half box not too long ago to try them out first and they are great. I just wished I would have picked up a full box before the prices went up. Now it's gonna run me about $16 more for the same 03 box.