• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Santana a Met?

yanksfan

Looks like Johan Santana will be pitching for the Mets. The Mets offered OF Carlos Gomez and P Philip Humber, Kevin Mulvey and Deolis Guerra. Now all they have to do is give Johan the money he wants. Which I'm sure will be 5-6 years @ 20 million or more a year. If the deal goes through, Santana will surely acquire more Cy Young trophies pitching in the National league.
All I can say is if he can't be in pinstripes then better the Mets than the Red Sox.

If the sox got Santana The yanks would'nt have a chance in the american leauge east or any other team in baseball for that matter

Screw that!!!! Now he going to pose a problem for the best team in baseball, the PHILLES. BOOO Santana!!!

Screw that!!!! Now he going to pose a problem for the best team in baseball, the PHILLES. BOOO Santana!!!

Dude are you smoking cigars or something else :whistling: The Phillies the best team in baseball :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mets don't have him yet, he still hasn't agreed to the contract extension. The deadline is 5:00 PM today. If I was a Mets fan, I'd be livid that this wasn't already done. If this collapses, Omar Minaya is the dumbest GM in history. I'm not sure anyway why you'd want to trade 4 of your top 7 prospects in order to enter into a negotiation in which you have ZERO leverage. Santana and his agents pretty much have the Mets by the balls here.

It is about the number of years guaranteed. Dont see this as a real problem as he wants to come to NY and his agent has other Mets clients. If it doesn't happen It will be a loss to everyone, the Twins, Santa and the Mets! The Twins because he'll play out his option and they'll get basically zilch, Santa losses because if he has a second average year or gets hurt his value will go down and the Mets will not have a number one pitcher. So long story short I think this gets done, but you never know!

Mets don't have him yet, he still hasn't agreed to the contract extension. The deadline is 5:00 PM today. If I was a Mets fan, I'd be livid that this wasn't already done. If this collapses, Omar Minaya is the dumbest GM in history. I'm not sure anyway why you'd want to trade 4 of your top 7 prospects in order to enter into a negotiation in which you have ZERO leverage. Santana and his agents pretty much have the Mets by the balls here.

Why be livid? There's still plenty of time. This is the way it always goes down. Why would they rush and get it done already? They have until 5pm, and both Omar and Johan's agent owe it to themselves to take the negotiations as long as they can to make sure they get the best possible deal for themselves.

It's all about the length of contract. The Twins offered him $80 million over 4 years, but he wanted a longer term deal. It was the same with Hunter earlier this off season. At least the Twins locked up some of their younger talent. It would be a shame to open that new ballpark in a few years with a bunch of "who's that" on the roster.

I'm glad the Twins got something for him. It would have been a shame if he stuck around this season and left the team with nothing. The Twins have done a very good job of trading established talent for prospects. About the only one they missed on recently was letting Ortiz go (Of course he was doing absolutely NOTHING in a Twins uniform).

Santana is one of the best, but I'm not sure he has 6 years left in that arm. He's already given up on his slider and the fastball doesn't have the pop it used to. As long as he can throw that change up he'll be better than 80% of the league, though. I hope the Mets and he get the deal done. The longer these things stretch out the worst both parties look. The teams look foolish and the players look selfish. Santana is a great guy, I'd hate to see his image tarnished in any way.

Thanks for the great memories, Johan. You did us Twins fans proud! Good luck in NY, but I will boo your ass into St. Paul if you ever appear in the Twins ballpark! :laugh:

NY Times had it official first, they reached an agreement. Now, he just has to pass a physical.

Welcome to Nu Yawk, meeeester Santana.

Could be the missing link to our pitching troubles. I'm sorry to see Carlos Gomez and Phil Humber leave, but really glad the Mets kept Fernando Martinez.

The Red Sox don't need him. They'll win the division again in 2008.

It must suck to be a Yankees fan. :laugh:

Well, there's always the wild card. :whistling:

Good luck with that, you'll need it! :laugh: