• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Satellite TV Networks

Uncle Boo

Reaction score
My cable company just had another increase for no particular reason and it's getting out of hand. I'm paying about $50 a month for regular programing with no premium channels. It's not that I can't afford it, it just pisses me off that they constantly raise their rates since there is no cable competition here.

I saw the one of the satellite networks was having a 10 month special for $19.99 or 29.99 and wondered if anyone here has satellite and how do they like it?

I've had DirecTV since the first week you could get it. It is only a little less then what you are paying, I'm at $49.80 for the Total choice package with an extra receiver. This is 155 TV channels and 50 Radio channels so it may be more choice over what you have.

We have DirectTV...we like it fine...the weather will *sometimes* make it kick up...but for the most part it is very reliable...it's worth considering for sure, IMHO

Melly

I have direct TV and I like it. If you are thinking of getting sat. TV talk to some friends and see if they have direct TV they have a 100 dollar sign up for referring your friends.

As far as the signal goes it only goes out in bad storms the rest of the time I have no problems.

I have been with Dish Network for the last 7 years. Love it! The local cable company up here used to jerk me around all the time so I switched.

I get the Starz movie pack and their top 120 package, local channels, and a DVR unit for $60 a month. Only time my rates go up is when I add programming. I sometimes add Showtime or HBO for a couple months to catch a mini-series then drop it.

You can probably get better pricing in the lower 48 with some of the promos they have going right now.

Here is a referral thingy that gets you free installation if you decide to go with them. Plus it knocks 5 bucks off my bill for the referral. ;)

Referral # VCD0001276596

THIS SPECIAL GIFT CERTIFICATE ENTITLES YOUR FRIEND TO DISH NETWORK SATELLITE TV FOR THE WHOLE HOUSE (UP TO 4 ROOMS) WITH DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE INCLUDING:

* FREE Activation (a $49.99 value)
* $100 back with America's Top 120 or higher programming
* STARZ Movie Pack FREE for the first 3 months

Important

* System must be installed and programming activated by:01/01/2007
* Requires valid major credit card, Social Security Number and qualifying programming purchase. Participation subject to credit approval.
* Qualifying programming purchase starts at just $34.99/month, including local channels (where available). If service is terminated or downgraded, equipment must be returned to DISH Network. Certain receivers must be continuously connected to a phone line or will be subject to an additional monthly fee.
* Programming offer requires participation in Digital Home Advantage. If you choose to change your programming, you must call at the end of the 3-month period to downgrade to other qualifying programming.
* DISH Network DVR Service fee varies based on programming subscription level.
* This ClubDISH certificate good for new, first-time residential DISH Network customers only.
* Additional restrictions apply for Alaska, Puerto Rico and Hawaii.
* Visit www.dishnetwork.com for programming options and disclaimers.

Promotion Codes:
Ordering Direct: DIRCDFDHA
Through Retailer: RETCDFDHA

I have DTV HD with DVR. I have had no complaints. Did have to shovel snow off the dish once. Unfortunately, I also have cable for broadband since my neighborhood hasn't been upgraded to fast DSL yet. [vassoline] ouch! [/vassoline]

I have had Direct TV for as long as I can remember. I have 4 receivers HBO/Cinamax, local channels and a couple of extra outdoor channels and its $95 a month. I really like it. Like SweetMelissa said once in a blue moon we will get a bad storm that will "knock" it off for a couple of minutes, but that is rare, maybe 2-3 times a year.

Write your congressman complaining about the cable company monopolies and the lack of choice. I urge everyone to do this. We the tax payers had the government subsidize these companies and now they totally screw the consumers who had basically paid for the networks. I know I may be getting political, so I immediately apologize to the millionaire cable execs reading this forum!

I just had DirectTV hooked up last week before our big storm! I like having a clear picture for once! I've got the same setup that AVB has except that I get $5.00 off for 12 months. I am thinking of adding HBO though. To me it was a tradeoff between Netflix anx satellite. I ditched the $20/month Netflix and got $45/month satellite. Anything else I can download, borrow or buy if I am desperate.

Dish Network here. We've used them for about 6 years now and have had zero problems. Picture is awesome for non HD and the price is pretty good. Now that the local channels have all switched to digital signals, the picture is even great on those.

If you want or need HD programming or your choice of NFL games on any given Sunday (I've been shot down on both fronts :( ), DirecTV may be the better choice. I hear they have more HD options, but I don't know that for sure.

Good luck!

I used to use the dish, had trouble with snow getting on the dish and disrupting picture. Changed to cable but never took the dish down. Everytime I get an increase I call and cancel. They ask if I still have the dish on the roof. I say yes and they give me a deal to stay. I have all HBO, Cinemax, Encore, and HD channels with two HD boxes for $49.95

Cable is becoming a monopoly and the programming options are limited. I told my cable company to take hike over 5 years ago, seems rates for cable go up all the time. Direct Tv is awsome 2 words Sunday Ticket!

Another question since a lot of you have satellite. After they mount the dish do they physically have to run wires to each TV or is it wireless to the recievers?

We have had DTV since it came out and enjoy it. The only problem that I have with it is that our "area" between Dallas and Oklahoma City is/does not seem to matter in offering "local channels". Any way, we still like it over the local Cable companies outrageous prices and offerings.

Another question since a lot of you have satellite. After they mount the dish do they physically have to run wires to each TV or is it wireless to the recievers?

Is your existing cable lines to each of the tv ares RG6? If not they will have to run a new cable to each receiver. You could go ahead and change the line out from the outlet to the attic area before they start the installation and at the same time run two lines. The reason for two lines is one to feed the reciever and another to feed from a splitter after the receiver to multiple rooms. Then you can use the infra-red remotes to control the receiver from any room. This is great for monitoring what the kids watch.

Here is a question for everyone else. If DTV can offer HD with the upgraded dishes and receivers do they use "converters" at each component to handle the signals or should they be using a higher quality line/cable?

I used to use the dish, had trouble with snow getting on the dish and disrupting picture. Changed to cable but never took the dish down. Everytime I get an increase I call and cancel. They ask if I still have the dish on the roof. I say yes and they give me a deal to stay. I have all HBO, Cinemax, Encore, and HD channels with two HD boxes for $49.95

Damn - that is a great deal - Who is your cc

Yes, and no.

I did in my house, (DishNetwork 721 PVR receiver).

However my father had a system installed (DishNetwork 625 DVR receiver will run 2 TVs) and they "backfed" into the existing cable installation. Works great and no real installation!

To clarify, they have to run cables to the receiver from the dish in all cases.
The "backfeed" is for additional sets. The remotes are addressable, and RF instead of infrared.

I would recommend getting the DVR/PVR (Tivo) type receiver, once you have it you will never want to go back to watching live TV.

I've had DirecTV and DishNetwork.

I liked DirecTV better. MOSTLY because TiVo is light years ahead of dishnetworks "DVR" service.

I have DishNetwork now, mostly because its cheaper. I pay $30 per month for the basic package which includes all the local networks. DVR service is an additional $5 per month (a total ripoff, but its the same price with direcTV).

You can get HD receivers, but they cost a couple hundred bucks and I believe the HD signal costs more, and there's only a few HD channels so far.

I choose Dish over cable mainly for the DVR. The price between cable and dish is about the same where I live.

It looks like my existing cable lines are RG6U. If they could tap into those at my outside junction/splitter box maybe that could work. I don't feel up to running all new lines since a couple of my TV's are built in and it would be a pain to run new lines, but not impossible.