• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Seasoned in a Week?

Cigar FF

I recently began seasoning a humidor. In the past, I would gently wipe down the inside with a slightly moist, new sponge with distilled water. I would then place a shot glass with distilled water in the bottom. I would check it every 5 days (i used to check it every 5 hours with my first humidor). I have learned that getting neurotic about it was likely working against me and delaying the process. Typically, after 5 days, I would notice some of the distilled water absorbed.

With the recent seasoning, I have noticed that very little water has been absorbed. It's been over a week. Is this odd for a new humidor? To not see any or extremely little water missing from the shot glass has me wondering what is taking place? I don't want to wipe this one down as I've become more of an opponent of this tactic. Should I place a damp sponge on top of a plate or something in there as well? Is it possible that the humidor could be seasoned already?

I placed a hygrometer in there to get an idea of what the RH was but its still low. I'm not looking to rush it but would anyone recommend something else to season it? I plan on using Heartfelt beads with this humidor but they have not arrived yet.

I find it odd that the shot glass is still full. I'm not nervous just did things a little differently and seeing if I should do more. I'm not in a rush either but if this puppy is ready, I want to stock it.

The more surface area of water, the better. I would use a something at least 4 or 5 inches square. Place something under the water vessel if you think there is a risk of it getting jostled.

What type of humidor is it?
Box in box, i.e., Cedar boards inside a furniture type outside, or veneered cedar?

Typically if you've seen the water absorb a lot quicker in the beginning it will slow down after a while. I would try what was mentioned above with using a shallower but wider surface area vessel to speed up the seasoning process.

Also, besides the ideas you have gotten here, NEVER wipe the inside with anything just let nature do the work.

Thank you for the ideas. It is a box in box humidor, no glass. The RH in the house is currently 35%. It's usually anywhere from 20%-40% max. It gets pretty dry in my house for some reason.

I am definitely not wiping this one down. I think I learned a lesson with my 1st humidor and wiping it down. What is odd is that the water really hasn't absorbed at all. At more then a week+ into seasoning, I expected to see the shot glass half full at least. I can see that a little water has absorbed but I'm talking a trace amount.

@MadMonk do you think a dampened sponge would suffice or should I pour distilled water into a bowl or something along those lines?

The more surface area of water, the better. I would use a something at least 4 or 5 inches square. Place something under the water vessel if you think there is a risk of it getting jostled.

What type of humidor is it?
Box in box, i.e., Cedar boards inside a furniture type outside, or veneered cedar?

Monk is spot on, more surface area more evaporation. Wet paper towel folded on a piece of foil or plastic works for me, but in the new one just seasoned, those little jelly beads that florists use worked great, providing lots of surface area in a coffee cup.

Ah, never thought of that. I am off to change out my shot glass. Thanks boys!

Thank you for the ideas. It is a box in box humidor, no glass. ...

@MadMonk do you think a dampened sponge would suffice or should I pour distilled water into a bowl or something along those lines?

A nicely wet sponge should work as will the paper towel or those florist beads that golfgar mentioned.

The reason I asked about construction is to rule out the type of humidors which just use a cedar veneer, inside. I've had some friends get "a good deal" on those, and they're atrocious. I'm going to assume that you know the inner "box" is solid cedar.

Does the top "whoosh" if you lift it about an inch and let go? (i.e., the air pressure will buffer the lid from slamming shut)
There are other seal tests too; flashlight and dollar bill test.

I wound up putting the damp paper towel on top of a piece of aluminum foil for protection. I wasn't as good of a husband recently and didn't have any flowers on hand that I could jack the foam from.

I noticed that the RH shot from 55% with the shot glass, to 85-88% with the paper towel. I check daily to make sure the paper towel isn't dried out and each day, the RH is still sitting high at 85-88%, while the paper towel is still moist.

My question is, how will I know when it's seasoned and ready to stock, using the paper towel method? I happen to like this cheap, easy way to season and will recommend this in the future. Thanks again for the recommendation.

I wound up putting the damp paper towel on top of a piece of aluminum foil for protection. I wasn't as good of a husband recently and didn't have any flowers on hand that I could jack the foam from.

I noticed that the RH shot from 55% with the shot glass, to 85-88% with the paper towel. I check daily to make sure the paper towel isn't dried out and each day, the RH is still sitting high at 85-88%, while the paper towel is still moist.

My question is, how will I know when it's seasoned and ready to stock, using the paper towel method? I happen to like this cheap, easy way to season and will recommend this in the future. Thanks again for the recommendation.

If your digital hygrometer has been tested for accuracy,(search salt test) as analog hygrometer's are infamous for not working or being way off, if your humidity stays put for 2-3 days straight, I think it's safe to stick and use. If you don't trust it, fill it with cheap sticks first. Keep an eye on the humidity for the next 2-3 days with sticks, if it holds, it should be fine. It should hold humidity constant after 2 weeks of seasoning. Even in dry ass Colorado 2 weeks was enough time. If not, something's up.

Believe me. At some point, you should buy boveda packets in your desired humidity range, either a ten pack of the smaller ones, or one large one per (100 ct) along with your standard rectangle, circle, or other foam based or gel/bead based humidification device. They're pretty cheap on Amazon or directly from Boveda's website. They help with not having to fill or recharge your humidification device as often.

Good luck.

C

I'll 2nd the Boveda suggestions, for both seasoning and maintenance. I have an active humidifier, but I still go through approximately a dozen a year for overflow or mailing. Just a great product to have on hand.

Believe me. At some point, you should buy boveda packets in your desired humidity range, either a ten pack of the smaller ones, or one large one per (100 ct) along with your standard rectangle, circle, or other foam based or gel/bead based humidification device. They're pretty cheap on Amazon or directly from Boveda's website. They help with not having to fill or recharge your humidification device as often.

Good luck.

C
Thanks for the info. I actually have not salt tested the new hygrometer. I will place a different hygrometer in there tomorrow when I check again.

I typically use beads and have had no real problems with them. In the warmer months, I am able to spray the beads once or twice until about November. I always thought it was advisable to use beads or the Boveda packs and not both? Do the Boveda packs somewhat substitute spraying the beads down b/c they provide the beads with moisture? Trying to understand how the Boveda packs work with existing humidification.

A second hygrometer won't tell you anything unless it's been salt tested. I'm a big fan of the Bovida hygrometer cal kits. Very stable, very repeatable. Amazon.com has 'em at very reasonable prices.

Thanks for the info. I actually have not salt tested the new hygrometer. I will place a different hygrometer in there tomorrow when I check again.

I typically use beads and have had no real problems with them. In the warmer months, I am able to spray the beads once or twice until about November. I always thought it was advisable to use beads or the Boveda packs and not both? Do the Boveda packs somewhat substitute spraying the beads down b/c they provide the beads with moisture? Trying to understand how the Boveda packs work with existing humidification.
The good thing about boveda packs is that they are two way. They soak up excess moisture when it is too humid and give it off when dry. This also means they are reusable. I use them in all of my boxes with an active going inside my wineador.

Well, looks like I will need to get some Boveda packs then...lol never knew they were used in conjunction with other forms of humidification. Always learning something on this forum.

@BlindedByScience I already ordered the Boveda Cal kits as the one that came with the humidor was new. I tried the table salt in a soda cap trick but didn't trust I created the best potion to test..haha I quickly discovered the cal kits and haven't looked back.

The 2nd hygrometer I placed in there has been salt tested and is accurate. I'm going to give it a week more and see if I'm maintaining RH then I'll stock this puppy. Admittedly, I was hesitant to post this b/c I didn't want this to appear to be "another newbie type humidor" question but I'm glad I did ask. I learned a few more things about storage so it's a win-win. Thanks again folks!

Boveda discourages mixing types in its FAQ, which of course, in the corporate world, is often just sales oriented, company derived schtick. They will pull humidity from the environment, as will your cigars and the cedar. I do not like using Bovedas exclusively in a wooden humidor. They dry up very fast. You have to ask yourself why they came out with Acrylic Humidors.

As I was searching the Boveda line, I noticed they don't have 70% packs, either 69% or 72%. Both of these numbers are negligible but is it more advisable to go with the closest to beads which are at 70%?

Also, how often do you find yourself replacing the Boveda packs over time? I was going to get the large packs (60g I believe) in the 4 pack as I didn't want a larger package of them to dry out if I didn't use them right away. Advice? The humidor is a 100 ct but I will likely also use these in my winador as well.

As I was searching the Boveda line, I noticed they don't have 70% packs, either 69% or 72%. Both of these numbers are negligible but is it more advisable to go with the closest to beads which are at 70%?

Also, how often do you find yourself replacing the Boveda packs over time? I was going to get the large packs (60g I believe) in the 4 pack as I didn't want a larger package of them to dry out if I didn't use them right away. Advice? The humidor is a 100 ct but I will likely also use these in my winador as well.

Depends on your preferences and beliefs/experience with humidity and storage.
Keep in mind that they also have a tolerance, so the actual number may be at either end. (mine have always given me a reading of 69%, etc., per the packet, but Hygrometers have a tolerance as well.) I would get the dozen. They are individually wrapped and the wrapper does a real nice job keeping them from drying out. I've had them stored, many times, for well over a year. I have considered buying the 20 pack, but I can't determine if they are individually wrapped and no replies to my inquiries, yet.

So, 65 & 69 are what I use, but mostly 65. I tried the 72 once and it was more than my cigars could take, i.e., I was taught that at a certain point, a cigar will stop evenly taking on moisture, and the feet will start to swell. In my case, the 72's seemed to prove that idea.