• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Serious qeustion

Spad31

Previously, on Battlestar Galactica...
Heyo gang, need some advice. Packers/movers coming Thursday. House will be emptied. Getting uhaul for stuff I want to take myself. Transporting lots of cigars? Cooler with towel covered ice gel things to keep them cool? Sticks would be on top in plastic. Only going about 4 hours away, but I've actually never relocated all my sticks, humis, and winador before? Thoughts? Recommendations? Cold better than warm, so I'm leaning toward ziplocking all off them and dooing the cooler thing, but would like any advice you have. Maybe a few big lock locks in the cooler rather than gallon zip locks?

-Trey

Edit because I suck at typing on my phone.

IMO, you do not need any ice or anything crazy. Just add them to the cooler and transport, you don't even need to use ziplock bags if they already are in boxes.

Don't over think it. A cooler is the way to go. Just make sure the sticks are secure and aren't going to bounce around. Try to keep the cooler covered and out of the sun. I agree with the above post no need for ice.

I'd do whatever you're comfortable with. I suspect that they will be in a cooler or whatever you choose for a lot longer than the 4 hour drive. Packing, staging, unpacking, wineador re-setup, etc., all takes time.
If I used freezer packs, I'd put them in double zipper freezer bags. Boveda or beads for humidity. Loose cigars should be secured so they don't rub, etc.
Being anal will cost you another hour, and you will have a nice peaceful, worry free, drive.

Just for a second, think about how your cigars were originally shipped by the manufacturer. Then do what you think you'd be most comfortable with.

Doc

Doc is correct, of course. Cigars are a lot more resilient than accessory sellers would have you believe. That said, after a career figuring out things within a gnats ass, I'm assuming you'll be a tad anal. :D

I've moved mine a handful of times now and like others, I recommend not overthinking it. Just pack'em up, make sure things can't shift a bunch, and go. No reason to worry about the temp for a 4hr drive, IMO.

Agree with all, Trey. I've moved my cigars across the pond twice and twice across country. A cooler is fine as long as it's sufficiently packed to keep things from jostling around.

I just moved with a coolerdor PLUS I had a doctor appointment before I could deliver them PLUS it was hot out. Of course, they were fine. What Doc said is what I thought, too. I've had worse shipping conditions and they were fine then, too! The only exceptions were having them smashed in shipping so don't do that and you'll be fine. ;)

What's your ground transport like, apart from the U-Haul? If you've got an SUV or station wagon making the trip, put the coolers in THAT. No worries about heat if they're in an air conditioned vehicle!

Unless your collection won't FIT in an SUV, in which case I'm sure many of us would be glad to help you with the overflow. o_O

~Boar

I've moved my Staebell three times, and the process is pretty simple;

- Pour the water out of the humidifier cans.
- Put some bubble wrap in strategic places so things don't move around too much.
- Wrap it with shrink wrap so the doors stay closed
- Don't worry about it.

Like Doc says, how do you think your cigars got from the farm to the dealer? From the dealer to you? They won't spontaneously combust if they aren't stored with perfection for a few days.....believe it.