• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sherpa - Mystic (Barber Pole)

puffnstuff

altruistic pervert
Sherpa - Mystic (Barber Pole) - Limited Edition - 6” x 50 - $3.75 (msrp)

Sherpa.jpg

I received this candy-cane in a generous triple-strike (and striped) bomb from “da triple G” (aka- Grandpa George Giese) recently, and was excited to smoke my first multi-wrapper cigar.

Pulling it out of its cellophane and taking a whiff, I was transported to three imaginary places instantly; a grassy field, a honeybee hive, and an equestrian ranch! No joke!
It was a perfect mixture of vegetation, honeycomb, and horse-poop. (For what it’s worth, I think that horses have just about the best smelling poop possible)
So, I’m hoping it’s not self-incriminating at this point to admit that the cigar actually smelled pretty inviting to me!

Anyway, for as inexpensive as this cigar is, I was quite impressed with the construction, let alone the work that must go into making a multi-wrapper cigar like this.

Clipping the cap and checking the draw while tasting the pre-light flavor, coming through the medium draw was the somewhat grassy/herbal flavor I smelled plus a hint of sweetness. (No horse-poop to be noted in the flavor…not that I’d know what horse-poop tastes like!)

Lighting it up, the smoke coming off the cigar smelled like it was going to taste more full-bodied than it actually did. The first few puffs weren’t anything to write home about, but then almost instantly the grassiness and honey came into play.
I must admit that I don’t have much experience with cigars that are “too young” and, hence, taste “grassy”, but this really wasn’t an unpleasant flavor. I guess I imagine cigars that are too young to have more of an acrid grassy flavor to them, so maybe “veggie” or “herbal” would be more a more apt adjectives for this cigar.
Toward the end, it seemed to taste a little more woody and nutty, which I liked even better than the grass and honey combo.

It stayed lit, needing only two very slight burn-corrections along the way, and provided plenty of mild-medium bodied smoke for the hour and twenty minutes that I smoked it.

All in all, it was interesting to have the flavors from two different wrappers at the same time. (and because of the angles of the stripes, you literally are tasting both wrappers simultaneously). I have no idea which wrapper tasted like what, but I’d guess that more than one wrapper would contribute to the complexity of a cigar.

A 5-pack for $14, or a bundle of 25 of these candy-canes can be had for $59 here!

Big thanks for the experience, ggiese!

I figured George sent this out. Because this is his trademark signature cigar.

alexgtp said:
[snapback]181544[/snapback]​

Oh, please - Alex - you didn't like it??? You smoked that puppy all the way down to the nub...

Glad you enjoyed it Puff - as you point out, while it's a "reasonably priced" (all right, CHEAP) cigar, it's not bad. The barber pole look did fascinate me.

Well, Alex - sorry to say - not my signature cigar anymore. I had a bundle of these, but now I'm down to only one. And I want to keep it for a year or two to see what age will do to it...

ggiese said:
alexgtp said:
[snapback]181544[/snapback]​

Oh, please - Alex - you didn't like it??? You smoked that puppy all the way down to the nub...

[snapback]181565[/snapback]​

And as fast as Alex smokes..he probably did it in about 3 minutes

So that's grand pappy ggiese's favorite smoke eh? interesting choice. I have never had one. Are they anything like the AF between the lines?

Great review - definitely have me thinking about a 5er of those.

Thanks.

I think I might have to pickup a fiver of these and let them age to see if they get better :)

Nice review.
I picked up a fiver on cbid and quite enjoyed the couple I have had. I think it would be best to let them stabilize in the humi for a few weeks before torching them.

opusxfiles said:
So that's grand pappy ggiese's favorite smoke eh? interesting choice. I have never had one. Are they anything like the AF between the lines?
[snapback]181702[/snapback]​

I wouldn't say they were like the BTW - different flavor for sure - but they are a nice smoke...

And, no - they don't taste like horse poop!!! (Of course, I've never tasted horse poop before so I couldn't actually say that for sure - but I can imagine they don't taste like horse poop...)

[quote name='Smokin'Tone' date='Apr 22 2005, 09:59 PM']Ew you smoke horse poop?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
[snapback]181568[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Smokin' and me are eye to eye on this one. Didn't enjoy the one I had. I gave EShaw99 the other one, and he loved it. Maybe I got the fluke. The rest of the gars I got from Gramps were awesome though! ;) You smoke that opus yet? :whistling:

I smoked it and it wasn't really for me. Try a BTL and you'll see the difference.