• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shiner Bock

Robbmt

Thermal UP!!!!!!
Starting to find this up in the St Louis area. Been a long time .
Used it to wash down my adobo tonight.

not all texansians like shiner co..uhh..bock
i'd sooner use it to wash down my adoBE

give me a sierra nevada pale ale or a red hook
double black stout!

I thought you people were called Texans. Did I not get the renaming memo?

Btw, I agree with LD.

i was gonna send out a memo, but i haven't got that far
on my "hooked on phonics" system. if i had sent it, all
it would have said was CAT.

shiner bock is dark colored rice beer. it couldn't be further
from a traditional german bock. speaking of german beer,
it's almost time for Oktoberfest biers to begin coming out! :D
mmmmmmmmmm........caramelyyyyyy
my favorite is paulaner. brings to mind the colors of fall
interesting to see that red hook has an oktoberfest this year.
and i'll definately have to make the trek to addison to "rock
bottom brewery"
of course, in texas, we're ass backwards in that a brewery
can either serve, or distribute, not both. how ridiculous is
that? there are some very good breweries here: copper tank,
hubcap, two rows. but you can't go to the store and pick some
up! what a primitive group we are.

Something else weird about Texas is that the government thinks it can re-define beer styles (perhaps this explains Shiner "Bock"). Any beer over 5% ABV (I think) is classified as an ale. Everything else are lagers. ???

Todd, have you tried out Panther Hall? It's been a number of years since I've been, but they would set you up with a herd of samplers if you're undecisive about which to try.

Anyone else have an establishment serving over 200 different beers? Our version is 'The flying saucer' in Fort Worth. They've brought it in from all over the world. If'n you drink all of em (not in 1 sitting of course) you get your name on a saucer and hung on the ceiling.

There's one of those in Raleigh too. What impressed me was not that they had so many beers but that they were all on tap! Old Chicago is another place that has a pretty good beer selection.

i love the flying saucer's motto "no crap on tap" :D

hey mark, did you mean Panther City brewery in the stock yards?
if so, i sampled everything, 5 or 6 times, on many occasions,
til i couldn't walk.. :p
unfortunately, they closed. so if you go to north side, all you
can get is bud, coors, etc.
i actually had one bartender down there say, when i asked
if they had any microbrews"sure, we got shiner!" i told him
shiner is to microbrews what yugo is to luxury sedans!

Any beer over 5% ABV (I think) is classified as an ale. Everything else are lagers
yes, and there are some areas that can't sell anything over 5%
some areas that can't sell at all, even in a wet county. i used to
live in ft worth by fossil creek area and had to drive 3 mi. to
watauga to by beer! 'course that's better than when i lived in
springtown and had to drive 15 mi. cuz' the whole damn county
was dry!

yeah, i loved their raspberry wheat, and chocolate stout. ;)
mmmmmmmmmmm

Shiner's alright... I can't believe it's just getting to St. Louis... I've been able to get it here in KC for quite a few years.

Yeah talk to the Budweiser people. Sampled Shiner a few years ago and thought it much better than Bud.

But I do understand that this does not compare to Paulaner or Warsteiner.

I know this is an old thread but I had to add my reply to it. I'm a huge Shiner Bock Fan. I used to live about 60 miles from the brewery and have even toured it. Awesome beer. They even have a huge festival every year where they get big name bands to come out and play there. If you haven't already tried it.

this is not considered a "domestic" beer in texas. we have to pay a little more to have this at happy hour. its a bit inconvenient since this is the only non light beer on tap at my corner watering hole.

I enjoy Shiner myself, but the best Texas beer I could find while living there was Ziegen Bock.

I had a business trip to Houston several years ago and Shiner was just about all I could get there. Fell in love with it and was thrilled when I found it in the Minneapolis area a couple years later. It's right alongside Summitt and Schell as my go-to brew.

I enjoy Shiner myself, but the best Texas beer I could find while living there was Ziegen Bock.

Right On Brickhouse....ever since the promotion party (when we had a keg of Ziegen Bock) I too lean more towards the Ziegen Bock; although I still like Shiner.....

When we had Iron Caisson's Farewell back in February, the place we were at (The Ranch in Belton) ran out of Ziegen Bock.....almost everyone in 589th was drinking it.....kinda surprised the bar tender. She said that never happened before.... :D

we have shiner at my bar. it sits around and takes up space in ohio though. not many drink it, and the only people who do are shocked they've found it here (usually from elsewhere). Myself, I don't care for it. There is a true following I've noticed though.

We started getting it here in IA a couple years ago (say 3 or so) and it really took off with the college kids for a while. I don't like it, myself, and I don't know if it's still selling like it was when it first arrived.