• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Silca Kitty Litter Question

At the risk of sounding dumb...what is the point..?? What does "kitty litter" do that Viper's great 65% beads won't....??

Whack me with the "clue by four".....B.B.S.

MONEY

The blue ones will give off an odor when moist. Take some and put them in a bowl and pour water on them. You will smell them for sure!
Fair enough...I have no objection to saving a few bucks, but the "risk" seems to me to outweigh the risks / uncertainty. I mean, I think about what a cooler of smokes are worth, and just don't see it. I was in all three of my coolers tonight, and they were all at 65%....

I'll stick with my beads, but party on, gents - B.B.S.

Your telling me i spent six hours parting colors for nothing?!?!? I didnt smell an odor with the blue ones under water, maybe because of the burning sensation in my nostrols from the Joya De Anni....?

And my local petsmart has the little sand by exquisit or whatever, did i get the wrong thing?!!? DAMNIT

if you want some of the equisicat stuff, i have like 6 lb left that i'd be willing to swing by the post office tommorow and tape it all up into a flat rate poster. pm me if u want em.

NO NO NO blue ones..... the crystals are rough shape like rock candy. You are looking for Exquisicat Pearls... You can use the coarse ones, but you get more powder from them. The pearls seem not to crack as much.
To be honest I can't remember what the deal is with the blue ones. I do remember I read NOT to use them. Sorry I can't be of more help on that. I will search around and see what I can find.
The blue ones will give off an odor when moist. Take some and put them in a bowl and pour water on them. You will smell them for sure!

I use Safeway brand generic kitty crystals. They are 50/50 blue and white. They are unscented. Get unscented and it won't matter what color the crystals are. I use them in six coolers. Believe me when I say they work perfectly. At $8 for 4 pounds, I'm satisfied.

It doesn't matter a bit whether the crystals are bead shaped or jagged. Keep them in a dish or in a nylon stocking in a dish and you will be fine.

Wilkey

That is what I was looking for, thanks Wilkey.

Your telling me i spent six hours parting colors for nothing?!?!? I didnt smell an odor with the blue ones under water, maybe because of the burning sensation in my nostrols from the Joya De Anni....?

And my local petsmart has the little sand by exquisit or whatever, did i get the wrong thing?!!? DAMNIT

Yeah, you did. I sure wish somebody was there to film you!

I think that I saw clay type litter blended with some crystals at the pet store. Don't get that. Go for the all-crystals litter.

Wilkey

I AM AN IDIOT! So i have 1 lbs and 8 oz. of sorted crystals now :) so i'll make sure these are my favorite stockings! When i read about how you guys use pantyhose, i went and took some of those foot things at walmart that people use when they dont have socks, to try on shoes, I think they will work great, will post some pictures soon. Anyone have recomendations on where to get shelving? I just want one wire shelf, but i want to be able to pull it on atleast half way so i need to find a roller bracket or something.

At the risk of sounding dumb...what is the point..?? What does "kitty litter" do that Viper's great 65% beads won't....??

MONEY

Fair enough...I have no objection to saving a few bucks, but the "risk" seems to me to outweigh the risks / uncertainty. I mean, I think about what a cooler of smokes are worth, and just don't see it. I was in all three of my coolers tonight, and they were all at 65%....

Bingo! This is the most absurd discussion I've read here in a long time. Cmon people, if you're having to resort to buying kitty litter to keep the humidity up in your humidor or coolidor because beads are too expensive, then perhaps you've chosen the wrong hobby/past time. Cigars are expensive! This is like guys going to Walmart to buy auto accessories for a BMW.

I did not know these pet care products can be used in such a way. Intriguing!!!!

You should see what other items they use.... :whistling:

----------------

Great info guys!

This is like guys going to Walmart to buy auto accessories for a BMW

I bought a steering wheel cover for my bmw at walmart. :D

MONEY

Bingo! This is the most absurd discussion I've read here in a long time. Cmon people, if you're having to resort to buying kitty litter to keep the humidity up in your humidor or coolidor because beads are too expensive, then perhaps you've chosen the wrong hobby/past time. Cigars are expensive! This is like guys going to Walmart to buy auto accessories for a BMW.
Andy,

I hear what you're saying but:

1. I'm an engineer so I tinker the shit out of anything I can.
2. Keeping hundreds of dollars worth of cigars in a $17 cooler and keeping them in perfect condition with $0.50 of crystals leaves me that much more money to spend on sticks.

It works for me.

YMMV.

Wilkey

Wilkey - I'm an engineer as well. While I could make a logic probe out of a plowshare, I often "get lazy" and choose to use the "right" tool for the job. Path of least resistance, methinks..... :laugh:

No worries, guys - have fun - B.B.S.

Wilkey - I'm an engineer as well. While I could make a logic probe out of a plowshare, I often "get lazy" and choose to use the "right" tool for the job. Path of least resistance, methinks..... :laugh:

No worries, guys - have fun - B.B.S.

Aw, I bet he makes his own bleach and has the recipe for Twinkies!

MONEY

Well said Gonz! I was thinking myself "why not just get a proper device" but I thought you're just a uneducated newbie what do you know??? LOL

It is easy to conform.

The funny thing is that this works better than the floral foam, but nobody gives the floral foam any grief.

Andy,

2. Keeping hundreds of dollars worth of cigars in a $17 cooler and keeping them in perfect condition with $0.50 of crystals leaves me that much more money to spend on sticks.

It works for me.

YMMV.

Wilkey

You're an engineer??? I thought you were an SDS mini-computer capable of only processing binary code.

Oh well...

Andy,

It works for me.

YMMV.

Wilkey

You're an engineer??? I thought you were an SDS mini-computer capable of only processing binary code.

Oh well...
Mmmmmm, PDP11, punch cards, Fortran. Those were the good ol' days.

Wilkey