• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Simon Bolivar (1783-1830)

vortex

"A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future
Reaction score
As I smoked my Boli PC I decided to find out why the guy was important. I was surprised to find he was a pretty cool dude!

http://www.militaryheritage.com/bolivar.htm

I enjoyed reading about him almost as much as smoking his namesake! :p

Steve

Number 77...I wonder if her really said this to his soldiers...

"Soldiers, you are about to finish the greatest undertaking Heaven has confided to men--that of saving an entire world from salvery!"

When I was in the US Navy, I was stationed on board the USS Simon Bolivar. It was a nuclear trident missile submarine named after Simon Bolivar. Here is a link to a webpage with some info. I was on there when some of those pictures were taken. It was a great experience.
USS Simon Bolivar

Simon_Bolivar.jpg

1227279345_b0a8a58b76.jpg

dennis_navy.jpg

That is me in the middle of the picture :thumbs:

Now if I can just get my hands on some of those Bolivar Petit Coronas, or knew where to find em. :whistling:

Thanks for sharing, Louie! Ironic name considering how much recent effort our Gov has put into undoing his efforts on the continent.

Here's another unusually named vessel - Ticonderoga class aircraft carrier USS Shangri-La. "The name was a reference to the recently lost Hornet: after the Doolittle Raid, launched from the Hornet, President Roosevelt answered a reporter's question by saying that the raid had come from "Shangri-La", the fictional faraway land of the James Hilton novel Lost Horizon." Wiki

I've driven by it's 50,000 pound propeller in Milton, DE, for years:

DEMILpropeller_6483.jpg