• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sir winston 02

I smoked one of the 02s I have the other day and it has a taste that I do not like. Medicinal, green that overwhelms the normal flavor. I thought I had a bad one 2 months ago and now the same thing. Is this the year or what is wrong with these. I never tasted this in a cigar before. Thoughts? The source is gold, so that is not it. Several board members here shared in a box split. If you see this post, please chime in.

That doesn't sound like a SW does it. Weird. Could it be a storage issue? I have never heard of a bad box of these. For what it's worth; years ago people were saying that Upmann didn't make any SWs in 2002, now in the last two years we have 2002s showing up. Send what's left back, and get some from any other year.

Interesting, I smoked an '01 (Thanks Jonesy!) last week, and it was quite the opposite of your description. I as well haven't heard of a bad batch of the SW's, in fact, I wasn't even aware there were any from '02 as I've only seen '03's and '04's. Maybe someone else that has smoked or owns some '02's might have a little more insight and might be able to let you know if they are having the same issues...

I smoked an 03 recently without any issues. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Are you sure it's not a fake? Sir Winnies are the finest smoke in existence, regardless of year produced, in my opinion.

Doc.

I had four boxes of SW from '02 and they smoked fantastic. Can you believe I've only got ONE left??

I sent my box of 01's back for a box of 03's. I smoked two both plugged and gave one to a friend and it was plugged... The 03's are great

I sent my box of 01's back for a box of 03's. I smoked two both plugged and gave one to a friend and it was plugged... The 03's are great

Smoked an 03 this weekend and it was fantastic. These are incredible smokes!

Positive not fake. Impeccable source and I have most years myself to compare them to even if I thought for a moment they were questionable. Interestingly no one has smoked the 2002's here though and some even question that they made a Sir that year.

I had four boxes of SW from '02 and they smoked fantastic. Can you believe I've only got ONE left??

Positive not fake. Impeccable source and I have most years myself to compare them to even if I thought for a moment they were questionable. Interestingly no one has smoked the 2002's here though and some even question that they made a Sir that year.

I believe Kingantz has smoked a few.

Ken

Dry box it for a day or two and see if that makes a difference. The taste characteristics you mention (for a fine aged CC) sounds a little like over humidification...and it may only be a few percent too high.

I smoked one of the 02s I have the other day and it has a taste that I do not like. Medicinal, green that overwhelms the normal flavor. I thought I had a bad one 2 months ago and now the same thing. Is this the year or what is wrong with these. I never tasted this in a cigar before. Thoughts? The source is gold, so that is not it. Several board members here shared in a box split. If you see this post, please chime in.

Hmmm. I was saving mine for a July 4th smoke. May have to break it out earlier. The H. Upmann brand is one of my favorites so I've been saving the '02s for a special occasion. I'll let you know how it goes.

I finally got around to one of the '02s. I guess the word I would use to describe it is 'disappointing'. It was a good cigar, but not great, and I'd read so many wonderful things about the Sir Winston I thought it'd be a slam dunk (just like WMD). I kind of tasted what was described here as a medicinal taste. I wouldn't have called it that but it was an unusual flavor. No big deal though. I rarely judge on a single cigar and could be any number of factors resulting in mediocrity. Plus I still have the '07s to look forward to.

Smoke on...

Steve,

for what it is worth I just smoked another and it was much better. However not even close to the 2001s. Just a year to year thing I guess. 2007's are just ok at this point and I am holding them for a few more years.