• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smart TV Recomendations

cohibasurfer

one day older than dirt
Reaction score
So I'm very very late to the party. Never owned a smart TV. Looking to get my first ever 55" Smart TV. Looking at Best buy they have a brand called INSIGNIA Fire TV on special.

nsignia™ - 55" Class F30 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV

Any one care to give their opinion on TV's and what an old dog needs to learn before wasting money?

TIA.

Do you still have cable, or are you cutting the cord? I have TCL Roku TVs. I think I bought my first one in 2018, and I currently have 4 in my house right now. I've been happy with the bang for the buck, and Roku is very easy to use as a streaming platform.

Edited to add: I have not had luck with Vizio smart TVs. I had two of them crap out on me with the same issue (just wouldn't turn on). I don't know if the brand as a whole is bad, that's just been my experience.

Do you still have cable, or are you cutting the cord? I have TCL Roku TVs. I think I bought my first one in 2018, and I currently have 4 in my house right now. I've been happy with the bang for the buck, and Roku is very easy to use as a streaming platform.

Edited to add: I have not had luck with Vizio smart TVs. I had two of them crap out on me with the same issue (just wouldn't turn on). I don't know if the brand as a whole is bad, that's just been my experience.
I am cutting the cord. I starting using a firestick a couple years ago. Network TV isn't for me anymore. But that is all I know at this point. I'm sure there is a reason these are so cheap. How long did those Vizio's last before you had the trouble?

I'd stay away from Vizio. For awhile, they were the best bang for the buck, but it seems like their quality has shit the bed in the past few years. I know a few people that I have had issues with them.

I am cutting the cord. I starting using a firestick a couple years ago. Network TV isn't for me anymore. But that is all I know at this point. I'm sure there is a reason these are so cheap. How long did those Vizio's last before you had the trouble?
First Vizio went down after about 2 years and the second one quit after about 18 months. I switched to TCL after that and haven't had any problems.

Roku is similar to Amazon Firestick. My parents have an Amazon Fire TV (not sure of the manufacturer) and they like it.

I have a Samsung 75 inch I bought about 6 years ago and haven't had a single issue with it. Very easy to use. In fact, it was one of the few things to survive Hurricane Ida and it's still going strong.
Thanks Paul. I'm not a cheap skate ... but I don't like paying 1200 for a TV if I can get one just as good for 500 ... are you picking up what I'm laying down? 😁 I'm also looking for a smaller cheaper TV for my patio. The last one I had outside was so old it had a tube LOL. Time for a revamp on that one too. Probably one in the 40-50 inch size. I'm shopping Bestbuy as I have some credit card points that I can use there. Any and all advice is much appreciated.
First Vizio went down after about 2 years and the second one quit after about 18 months. I switched to TCL after that and haven't had any problems.

Roku is similar to Amazon Firestick. My parents have an Amazon Fire TV (not sure of the manufacturer) and they like it.
Thank you.

Chad... so can you give me the express tour on Google TV and Fire TV... Roku? I'm Smart TV Stoopid.
They are all basically the same thing. I feel like the Roku is quicker to respond and faster to load. Basically they all provide icons to click on to load what you want to use. If you are cutting the cord, I assume you are going to get hulu or youtube tv?

They are all basically the same thing. I feel like the Roku is quicker to respond and faster to load. Basically they all provide icons to click on to load what you want to use. If you are cutting the cord, I assume you are going to get hulu or youtube tv?
Youtube TV

We have an 87" LG on the wall in our family room. It's decidedly not the high end version; you can buy them from Costco for about a K if you watch the sales. We love it, and the capabilities seem extensive, and the picture is very, very good. You can spend four or five times on a set, but we're very happy with the one we have. While I don't own one, my guess is the Samsung sets are very good.

So Google Fire TV are installed apps that

And I'm guessing with these TV's a person does no longer need a firestick?
Correct, a Firestick just allows access to the different apps. Which is what Roku does also. Basically you'll turn on the TV and press the YouTube TV button. From there everything will be the same as any other device or TV. I have 6 TCL TV's. The newest one replaced an expensive Sony TV that shit after 3 years.. Never again will I buy an expensive TV.

OK! Learning some stuff. Thanks for taking the time fellerz
We have an 87" LG on the wall in our family room. It's decidedly not the high end version; you can buy them from Costco for about a K if you watch the sales. We love it, and the capabilities seem extensive, and the picture is very, very good. You can spend four or five times on a set, but we're very happy with the one we have. While I don't own one, my guess is the Samsung sets are very good.
Thanks Tom.