• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking and Athletics

Setren

I thought I'd ask the CigarPass community how cigars affect their sports. One of the biggest reasons I don't smoke cigars very often is that I'm staying in shape for Ultimate, and I'm wondering how cigar smoking affects other athletes out there. For me it takes me maybe a week or two to get set again after I smoke, but one of my close friends says that he doesn't feel any real effects.

How do you guys feel?

I play basketball once per week and try and walk a little every night or bicycle with the kids. I don't feel any adverse affects brought on by cigars. I'm closing in on 40 and outside of not looking exactly like I did 20 years ago, I feel pretty well about my health.

On a side note, I'll share my favorite John Kruk story about smoking/athletics. Kruk was/is a rotund guy who was a helluva hitter. While with my Phillies in the '90's, he was in the locker room following a game eating a couple of Big Macs and smoking cigarettes. Some lady asked him if he thought he was setting a good example as a professional athlete and Kruk replied, "Athlete?! Lady, I ain't no athlete, I'm a baseball player." and went back to his burgers and smokes. I love Kruk.

Some lady asked him if he thought he was setting a good example as a professional athlete and Kruk replied, "Athlete?! Lady, I ain't no athlete, I'm a baseball player." and went back to his burgers and smokes.

Moe, that is one of the greatest comebacks.

As far as athletics and cigars, it is a matter of moderation. If you go weeks without smoking on & then one night you smoke a big heavy cigar, then yes you will feel the "side effects" of smoking; but if you have a cigar more often ,and not always a Big Bad MoFo stick, progressively you will be aclimated to it and can go longer in between w/ out feelin "it." Personally, I played Football & Rugby for years and smoked at least one cigar after every game/match, but it was usually the booze and women that got to me more and made me feel "it." I still work out regularly and although not in bad shape, cigars don't interfere with my exercise schedule.

Smoking cigars is not the same as smoking cigarettes...this assuming of course, that you do not inhale cigars. Why anyone would want to inhale a cigar is beyond me.

Anyway, the point is, if you do not inhale, then your lungs are not affected and therefore your stamina is not affected.

Speaking for myself, I work out hard 5/6 days a week, combining aerobics and muscle tone. I'm certainly not the athlete I used to be when I worked out 6 hours a day when
I was younger. However, I smoke 2 cigars a day (lately, sometimes I go to one a day) and never have a breathing / stamina problem.

Keep in mind, I do not, nor have I ever inhaled a cigar. There are those that do inhale and that is an entirely different scenario.

Good luck with Ultimate.

Brian

Speaking for myself, I work out hard 5/6 days a week, combining aerobics and muscle tone. I'm certainly not the athlete I used to be when I worked out 6 hours a day when
I was younger. However, I smoke 2 cigars a day (lately, sometimes I go to one a day) and never have a breathing / stamina problem.

Brian

I've got to say, Brian is one "in-shape" son of a gun, and obviously, his habit does not interfere with his workout schedule... Set, I'd be interested to hear your workout schedule mixed with the cigars you're smoking and how regularly you are smoking.

Personally, I work 3 DAYS, then have 4 days off. I spend all 4 days in the gym running, lifting, etc. Never once has a cigar interfered with my ability to get a good workout, and I generally smoke 1-2 cigars a day as well, not counting herfs of course.

For me it takes me maybe a week or two to get set again after I smoke,

From reading that, without any further details, I am wondering if maybe it is a mental mindset that is causing you to have some hiccups in the gym while getting adjusted. Our minds are very powerful as we are powerful beings, perhaps your mind has mentally told you that smoking a cigar is akin to smoking a cigarette, therefore hindering your respiratory system from performing properly, thus taking you longer to regulate back to a normal status.

Just one man's meandering thoughts...

I hit the gym probably 4 days a week for about 2 hours each session. I smoke irregularly. I've never noticed any effect, other than a nicotine taste or tobacco taste in my mouth when I work out the day after... The only effect I can think of is if I smoked and went to the gym right after, but that doesn't seem like something I'd ever do.

This might be an insulting question -- but are you inhaling? Everybody has different reactions to nic too. I s'pose it could be a number of things.

I smoked cigarettes for years and let me say this... cigarettes and cigars definately affect cardiovascular and respiration performance differently. With cigarettes, the effect is great, causing me to be winded, tired and even experience pain in my chest. I have never had these effects from cigars and I would say that I am, generally speaking, pretty regular with cardio and weight training...

mac... smoke em if you got em... :thumbs:

Guy Lafluer smoked a pack to a pack and a half of camel nons a day, played in the NHL until he was 40 and skated circles around the kids half his age...GUUUUUUYYYY! My friggin' hero! I smoke everyday, one cigar and 7-8 cigs, I play softball, basketball, ride a mountain bike regularly and walk at least 2 miles a day...I'm 50 years old and have never felt better, it's all in your head dude.

Well, I'm certainly no "athlete" as I will turn(Lord's willing) 69 in July. I smoke 2-4 cigars a day, every day and they are the larger vitolas as well as they are the more full strength brands too.

I walk every evening for about 2 miles, smoking a cigar as I travel about the neighborhood. Some days I fish for several hours and never get tired or winded and that's with putting my 150 lb plastic boat in and out of my truck's bed. I've fished with a guide for up to 8 hours too, out in the sun with no ill effects.

Cigars are one of God's gifts to mankind..... :)

Dan

I don't notice any difference really. Though I smoke cigarettes and cigars. I'm sure if I were to quit smoking cigarettes, I would notice that, but the cigars have never effected me. I usually play full court basketball 3 or 4 days a week for 2 hours and I run about 2 miles 5 days a week. But then again, I am only 20, so I got one up on you old folks :whistling:

. . .If you go weeks without smoking on & then one night you smoke a big heavy cigar, then yes you will feel the "side effects" of smoking. . .
Yeah, that might be a problem. :D I do go weeks without smoking.

From reading that, without any further details, I am wondering if maybe it is a mental mindset that is causing you to have some hiccups in the gym while getting adjusted. Our minds are very powerful as we are powerful beings, perhaps your mind has mentally told you that smoking a cigar is akin to smoking a cigarette, therefore hindering your respiratory system from performing properly, thus taking you longer to regulate back to a normal status.
I'm tending to believe I have that mental mindset. I've been told that, and I'm working on it. >.<

This might be an insulting question -- but are you inhaling? Everybody has different reactions to nic too. I s'pose it could be a number of things.
I don't think I'm inhaling, haha. At least not on purpose. :)

Thanks for the response. Nice to hear all your opinions!

Michael Jordan used to smoke a cigar while sitting in traffic on the way to the arena before a game! :)

Just my two cents, but what else are you doing when you smoke? It doesn't sound like you are going on a bender or anything, but do tie the days you smoke into change of diet (cheat day). Or are you staying up later of changing your routine to accomidate cigar smoking? To be honest I'm fairly young at 26 and work out 4 times a week at least and even after a really heavy night of drinking it takes about a day to get back into the swing of things.

So I would have to agree with others and say it is a mental thing. I really can't thnk of any medical reason that non-inhaled smoke would mess with you other than maybe sinus problems.

I don't actively work out, nor do i play sports, but I am a valet runner. I sprint for about 100-150 cars a night, during an 8 hour shift...

I can smoke all i want and it doesn't make any difference the next day...

That's the only relating experience I have I guess.

I agree with mos of you guys I work out 4 to 5 day a week in the gym and play soccer twice a week sometimes three.. and I smoke about 1 to 2 cigars a week to 5 to 6 the max in a week. I really do not feel to much. I feel more from a good night drinking than smoking cigars. but that is my two cents.

It's not just your wind that may or may not be affected. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. Your body's ability to get whatever it is your muscles need to perform will be inhibited.

You can rationalize it. You can deny it, but tobacco use isn't good for you. Physiologically, we'd all be better off not using it. Psychologically however...

Doc.

It's not just your wind that may or may not be affected. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor. Your body's ability to get whatever it is your muscles need to perform will be inhibited.

You can rationalize it. You can deny it, but tobacco use isn't good for you. Physiologically, we'd all be better off not using it. Psychologically however...

Doc.
Now that's another question I have. How long does that effect stick around? Nicotine's half life is only 2 hours.

Found a link that deals with quiting cigarettes. Not exactly the same thing because people tend to smoke cigarettes more often and you don't inhale a cigar.

Most of the stated effects seem likely to effect a heavy smoker more than just the occasional butt.

Editted to add content