• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking and Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

preembargo

Sleeping not so peacefully
I no longer count on my own goodness or my ability to obey God’s law, but I trust Christ to save me.
Philippians 3:9 NLT

Some time ago I was asked what my thoughts are concerning smoking and religion; I’ve interpreted that question as “Is smoking a sin?” Let me begin by saying I have no intention or desire to become involved in a debate, but I will give every effort to honor God and let His Holy Spirit reveal His truth.

The answer is...

Yes.

And No.

The argument against cigarettes is compelling but if you can separate cigars from cigarettes then that is a different matter altogether.

I’m not being noncommittal or wishy-washy. Certainly no one can dispute the potential health consequences of smoking but cigars are enjoyed in much the same way as fine wine is appreciated, while cigarettes are more often than not, all about the nicotine addiction. The process and purpose of smoking a cigar is far different than that of smoking a cigarette. The main differences in respect to health concerns is the fact that most cigar smokers do not inhale and smoke far less frequently than cigarette smokers.

In order to justify the apparent duality of this question, we must ask two questions, the first being “What is sin?” Sin can best be defined as the willful disobedience of God’s Law. Obviously tobacco is not ever directly mentioned in the Bible so we must ask; “In what way (if any) does God’s Word prohibit smoking?”

The most common concern regarding the perceived sinful nature of smoking is it’s affect on ones health. The argument is that our bodies are God’s Temple and by smoking we are defiling God’s Temple.

1 Corinthians 6:19
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;

I believe Jesus answers the question this way.

In Christ’s own words:

Matthew 15:16-20

16"…Don't you understand yet?" Jesus asked them. 17"Don't you see? Everything that enters the mouth goes into the stomach. Then it goes out of the body. 18But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart. Those are the things that make you 'unclean.' 19Evil thoughts come out of the heart. So do murder, adultery, and other sexual sins. And so do stealing, false witness, and telling lies about others. 20Those are the things that make you 'unclean."…

Christ is telling us that sin has nothing to do with what goes into our bodies, our Temples, but has everything to do with what is already in our hearts.

What do you do if your conscience tells you it is sinful?

The apostle Paul faces similar concerns in his first letter to the Corinthian church. The question was “is it a sin to eat meat that has been used in pagan rituals. The situation was such that if you went out to buy meat in Corinth, it probably was meat that had been offered in a pagan ceremony and some of it may have been reserved for the pagan priest but other parts of it were sold to people in the marketplace. That sacrificial meat was most likely cheaper than other cuts of meat, and that made it more attractive for poorer Christians to be able to purchase it. But there was a problem; there were those in the church who believed that it would be a sin to eat meat that had been offered to false gods because it would essentially be a slap in the one true Gods face while others believed there was no sin in eating such meat whatsoever.

To those embroiled in this debate Paul sends this admonition, that arguing because “you have all the answers” is not about truth at all, but pride and ego:

1 Corinthians 8

1Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge.[a] Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3But the man who loves God is known by God.

Here he explains that the debate is really a non issue:

4So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. 5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), 6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

Here Paul puts it all into perspective. He shows that even if God does not view a particular behavior as sinful, if your own conscience tells you it is and you continue in that behavior anyway, you have in fact committed an act of sin after all. He goes on to warn us that if we encourage someone because we believe a behavior to be righteous to violate their own conscience regarding that behavior then we have sinned in that we have caused them to stumble in their own faith:

7But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to an idol, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.
9Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? 11So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.

Essentially Paul is telling us that if your conscience causes you to believe that a particular behavior sinful, then it’s sinful.

One morning, The famous evangelist C.H. Spurgeon climbed onto a carriage with some of his young students at seminary. These students were all smoking their pipes. Spurgeon asked, "Gentlemen, are you not ashamed to be smoking at this early an hour?" Shamefully, the students put away their pipes. Within a few minutes, Spurgeon pulled out his own and began to enjoy a good smoke. One of the students asked, "Sir, did you not just tell us not to smoke so early?" Spurgeon replies, "I said nothing of the sort. I merely asked you if you are ashamed to smoke or not. And since you put your pipes away, I assumed you were ashamed."

My opinion is that religous discussions like this have no place on a cigar bulletin board.

The Master said:
My opinion is that religous discussions like this have no place on a cigar bulletin board.
[snapback]235447[/snapback]​

Now don't go there. I don't think this thread was started to begin any flame war of overblown debate. The thread is related to cigars and how it applies to religon. He titled his thread appropriately so you can avoid the topic if you wish as well.

I am not an overly religious person but I enjoyed reading his post. However, I cannot express an opinion on the matter either way.

My 2 cents

Greetings! My opinion stated simply and honestly: No, there is really nothing wrong with smoking cigars or cigarettes. Obviously, CP Members are not all on the same sheet of music, so to speak, when it comes to matters of religion. Every man and woman has a right to his or her own beliefs, in all matters of things. Thus, postings of a religious nature should not be on these forums. Unfortunately, such postings usually only serve to cause hard feelings among one another. Thank you! Regards, knightlaird

Glad I’m a heathen and don’t have to worry about this stuff. ???

I can appreciate the statements as a philosohpical discussion without worrying about the fact that they are of a religious nature.

I've made my own decision to smoke, and don't have a complex over it, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Interesting read, and a great treatment of the subject, Preembargo.

The Bible says we are all sinners, and I believe I am. Paul said "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" in Romans 3:23. The Bible also says Jesus died for our sins, and also set the standard for a sinless life, so if I try to find salvation through works, Christ's life is the standard. And that's a standard I can't reach. So I can choose to accept the grace granted by the sacrifice.

That leaves me as a sinner saved by grace. God views all sins the as having the same severity, i.e., murder is no worse than lying, smoking is no worse than adultery.

Given that, I have plenty of other sins to worry about. Cigars don't even make the list. :whistling:

JK

The Master said:

I couldn’t agree more. Hallelujah. :p

While I do not wish to comment directly on the contents of this thread since I am a non-christian and therefore have no right displaying my opinion. I want to tip my hat to preembargo. I think the thread was appropriatly titled, well written, and interesting.

Also with the flame wars we have been having it took a little backbone to post it. My point is that it relates to cigars, it is posted in the lobby, well titled so people can avoid it if they want, and I think many will enjoy the read as I know we have a great deal of religious people here on the forum.

Well done, I hope some people take note of how this was done and that it is read for what it is meant to be.

I liked reading the original posting. Makes sense to me, my father is a Preacher, his brother and my late Grandfather and Great Grandfather were Preachers. With the exception of my Uncle and Grandfather each one of them, myself included and no, I am not a Preacher, enjoy(ed) the consumption of tobacco. Either in dipping, chewing or the cigar form. The only grief I ever caught from my family was when I was smoking cigarettes in college. The wife still doesn't care for the cigar but has given up hounding me.

PSTAN said:
The wife still doesn't care for the cigar but has given up hounding me.
[snapback]235528[/snapback]​

THis has a familiar ring.... :whistling: :laugh:

The Master said:

I agree 110%. this and politics need to be left at the door.

Just for thought, I believe most things, cigars, bourbon, etc., are not a sin, un you over indulge them. I.E. Drinking is not a sin, unless you are black out drunk. ;) Anyways, good luck on this thread not going nuclear! :thumbs: :laugh:

JimK said:
Interesting read, and a great treatment of the subject, Preembargo.

The Bible says we are all sinners, and I believe I am. Paul said "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" in Romans 3:23. The Bible also says Jesus died for our sins, and also set the standard for a sinless life, so if I try to find salvation through works, Christ's life is the standard. And that's a standard I can't reach. So I can choose to accept the grace granted by the sacrifice.

That leaves me as a sinner saved by grace. God views all sins the as having the same severity, i.e., murder is no worse than lying, smoking is no worse than adultery.

Given that, I have plenty of other sins to worry about. Cigars don't even make the list. :whistling:

JK
[snapback]235484[/snapback]​
Perfectly said...

-Fetter

i consider a cigar akin to the burning bush, all good!

AVB said:
Glad I’m a heathen and don’t have to worry about this stuff. ???
[snapback]235466[/snapback]​

My sentiments exactly. :thumbs:

Thxs interesting read.
I guess if I didn't want to read this, I could have not clicked on it.

My view is that smoking, drinking, etc. is not a sin unless you let it control your life. When smoking cigars becomes addictive and when drinking every time leads you to being black out drunk. I never want to become how cigarette smokers are; always craving the nicotine to get you by. Sure cigar smokers hang out on forums and I mainly smoke for the pleasure and relaxation, not for the nicotine kick.

IMHO, I feel Preembargo made a valid case and just wanted opinions. There's no reason this topic should be touchy.

I recall in my younger years in grade school (parochial), where our Pastor used to smoke a pipe on occasion (not in class, but we were aware of it). When questioned about this, he simply stated that this form of smoking was purely for a relaxation of sorts, and not done to defile his body in any way, or out of a habit.

If I were to decide that I would smoke and inhale on purpose to cause myself harm, then I think that would be a sin. At the same time, I am quite overweight, and tend to enjoy the foods that are "bad for me" over the more neutricious variety. I'm not doing it on purpose to defile myself, but I do know that it's not quite right, and I should do better.

I can only speak for myself, and say that I enjoy a good stogie in moderation and not out of any habit or "need for a fix". Jesus said that his wish for us is to have life, and to have a more abundant life. I include the enjoyment of fine cigars as "abundance".

As for the appropriateness of this thread? I dont think there is anything wrong with asking the question, as it is (1)cigar related,(2) it was worded very clearly, and (3) anyone here that is not religiously inclined probably would not have a care either way imho.

It clearly is not intended to provoke any fire ups, and is not political in nature.

My 2cents,

JV

Though you may take it as a joke seriously I think of cigars as incense sticks, a help for meditation and enjoying the company of others.

I tend to be a driven person but while smoking I am more stationary and reflective. I am open minded enough to let others call it a sin to rely on this delicious crutch to do this. Let the lightning flash if that is the case.

But I have very little use for Christianity as it is currently expressed in Western culture today.

Great job, enjoyed reading it. Actually I had wondered about this and I agree with KB that indulging in these things in excess is sinful. There are passages that I had not applied to the issue that you included.

Brian

Edited to add the last three words.

Status
Not open for further replies.