• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking Room, just do it

classyndry

on injured reserve
When I first joined CP, I was intimated by all the fancy smoking rooms, and ideas about hepa filtration, high cfm fans, etc. It took me a long time, but I finally just tried smoking my house. I lit up in my office. It wasn't the end of the world. I've since created a system that gets rid of the smoke via a few fans, weather stripped my door, and gotten a cheap air purifier for when we have guests over, etc. I just wanted to post to say that you should give the cigar room a try even if you don't have the budget or inclination to do a full smoking room with complex ventilation and filtration. Its really nothing fancy, and it doesn't need to be.

Pictures and a few details about the fans, space heater, etc.:

http://bonvivantva.com/?p=499

Looks nice... When I want to smoke at home, all I do is put a big fan on the bottom part of the window, sit right next to it and blow the smoke directly into it. I even put my stand alone Stinky ashtray closed by the window and you could see the smoke being pulled by the fan while the cigar is resting. It's simple and my house doesn't smell like smoke at all.

Thats exactly the kind of simple solution I'm talking about.  I hope other people see this post and realize they may not need a fancy solution.

You have me intrigued to try it out in my basement again.  Time to go to Target and look for fans.

Only word of warning if you do this....be careful if your room has a HVAC return in it. If the system kicks on while you smoke you could have a housefull of smell. Before I had my room with dedicated ventilation I would cover the return or turn off the AC as temps allowed.

DePasta said:
Only word of warning if you do this....be careful if your room has a HVAC return in it. If the system kicks on while you smoke you could have a housefull of smell. Before I had my room with dedicated ventilation I would cover the return or turn off the AC as temps allowed.
Good point, the basement is pretty open, I'll have to see where the returns are.

Bu11dog said:

Good point, the basement is pretty open, I'll have to see where the returns are.

The room I'm in does not have any returns, but if yours does, that could get you into hot water with any cohabiters.  The location of my house's returns did factor into smoking room selection.  Thanks for bringing it up!  

I'm going to try and use a couple small/quiet fans to move the air outside.  The return in about 30' away on the other side of the room.  We will see what happens.  

Great post Classy. It reminds us that sometimes the simplest solutions are more than sufficient.  :thumbs:

I've been doing this for years in my spare bedroom converted to a smoking room. I always found that's a better solution to a basement. In a basement the smoke can work its way through the floors upstairs sometimes. Unless you frame out a specific room, insulate & weatherstrip the hell out of it, and add ventilation.

All I have is one of those small dual fan units that I leave in the window 12 months a year...I only take it out when the rain, snow, and wind pound on the back of the house coming off the bay. When I'm done, I empty the ashtrays, clean them out with a little Mr. Clean, do a quick vacuum, spray some citrus spray (orange or lemon) on the carpeting and in the air...and by morning, the smell is almost completely gone.

That way I don't have to freeze my ass off outside in the Winter and I can watch a ball game at the same time.

Yea, watching the Yankees, Giants, and Rangers lose is much better when it's warm.

Doc

One more suggestion is to remove as many fabrics as you can from the room.  Leather couches, wood blinds, no rugs or curtains, etc.

classyndry said:
One more suggestion is to remove as many fabrics as you can from the room.  Leather couches, wood blinds, no rugs or curtains, etc.

...and turn my cigar church into a Clean Room?...no way, gotta have my carpeted floors!  :laugh:

I actually have wall-to-wall carpeting in my room and then have a darker area rug over that to stop any ashes, booze, or coffee from destroying the carpet underneath it. It's actually not that bad if you spray something on them after each use. I agree about no curtains and leather chairs,,,those two made of fabric are both huge smoke odor magnets, 

As to the intent of your original post...if done correctly, this is very easy to set up and maintain!  :thumbs:

My wife is the most laid back women I have ever met and I thank her brothers for that. Years of abuse from her two brothers basically brain washed her to think like a guy. However she has two rules don't smoke in the house and don't drink and drive. 

I'm making plans to build a smoking room off my deck in the next 5 years. This she is fine with... lol 

Paul

ironpeddler said:

...and turn my cigar church into a Clean Room?...no way, gotta have my carpeted floors!  :laugh:

I actually have wall-to-wall carpeting in my room and then have a darker area rug over that to stop any ashes, booze, or coffee from destroying the carpet underneath it. It's actually not that bad if you spray something on them after each use. I agree about no curtains and leather chairs,,,those two made of fabric are both huge smoke odor magnets, 

As to the intent of your original post...if done correctly, this is very easy to set up and maintain!  :thumbs:

Exactly.  I used to have fabric curtains in my office.  I had to spray them pretty often, or run my ozone machine a lot, but I made it work.  When I switched to wood blinds, it made a world of difference.  That said, you can get by with some fabric, but the less the better.

I'm jealous of you. My wife has been open to the notion in the past, as we have a dining room that isn't a dining room anymore, and a basement that is unfinished. Of course I keep telling myself I will find the time and money to put together a room like this somewhere in the house, but never seem to have the time. Too little time, too many hobbys lol.

Then my dad, who is retired tells me how he never has time to do any projects he wants to do. I don't get it, if I had his time and money, everything would be done in 2 months (that he wants to do) and I'd be relaxing lol.

Tall Paul said:
I'm making plans to build a smoking room off my deck in the next 5 years. This she is fine with... lol 

Paul

We converted one of those Amish sheds into a Man Cave over at my buddy Tim"s house. We insulated it, wired it for everything, installed a Panasonic remote ventilation unit in the ceiling, and then sheet rocked it. For heat & AC we installed a mini-split unit and supplement that with a propane heater in the Winter just to get it up to temp quicker.

FoundationPrep.jpg

Man_Cave_064.jpg

5ElectricalPanel.jpg

8PanasonicFanMounted.jpg

Man_Cave_059.jpg

Man_Cave_061.jpg

Man_Cave_063.jpg

It took us about 2-3 months working on it when we could and cost about 9-10K. I did the fan system, surround sound wiring & install, and all the trim work. Tim had buddies that did the electrical wiring and the sheet rock & spackling. We all humped to dig out the lawn and poured the footings and slab. The shed was a pre-fab unit and we just slid it off the trailer and onto the pad we made. These pics are a bit dated, now there is a leather sectional with recliners and we've added an old time popcorn maker and a much bigger flat screen.

It's awesome on NFL Sundays and the playoffs! 

Tall Paul said:

Break your foot again and get it done this summer :laugh:

Tall Paul said:
My wife is the most laid back women I have ever met and I thank her brothers for that. Years of abuse from her two brothers basically brain washed her to think like a guy. However she has two rules don't smoke in the house and don't drink and drive. 

Paul

If you can't smoke in your house, build another. "If you build it, they will come". You will be glad you did it....
Everyone should have a SAC. IMHO........