• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

So, the Powerball is over $300M again

slowhand

Reaction score
Something to consider for the mathematically challenged before you rush out and buy your ticket-

Government statistics show there are about 1.7 automobile caused fatalities for every 100,000,000 vehicle-miles. If you drive one mile to the store to buy your lottery ticket and then return home, you have driven two miles. Thus the probability that you will join this statistical group is 2 x 1.7 / 100,000,000 = 0.000000034. This can also be stated as "One in 29,411,765-". Thus, if you drive to the store to buy your Powerball ticket, your chance of being killed (or killing someone else) is about 5 times greater than the chance that you will win the Powerball Jackpot.

Wow, I wonder if my chances would be better if I walked to the store!

The lottery is a tax for people who are bad at math!

I bought a ticket last week! :laugh:

That would be an interesting study. how many Americans die trying to buy a lottery ticket? :sign: Someones has to win, might as well be me. :D :thumbs:

slowhand said:
Thus, if you drive to the store to buy your Powerball ticket, your chance of being killed (or killing someone else) is about 5 times greater than the chance that you will win the Powerball Jackpot.
[snapback]287856[/snapback]​

So you send one person out to buy ten people's tickets. Thus your chance of winning the Jackpot is twice as high as being killed getting. Seems worth the risk to me.

:laugh:

slowhand said:
Something to consider for the mathematically challenged before you rush out and buy your ticket-

Government statistics show there are about 1.7 automobile caused fatalities for every 100,000,000 vehicle-miles. If you drive one mile to the store to buy your lottery ticket and then return home, you have driven two miles. Thus the probability that you will join this statistical group is 2 x 1.7 / 100,000,000 = 0.000000034. This can also be stated as "One in 29,411,765-". Thus, if you drive to the store to buy your Powerball ticket, your chance of being killed (or killing someone else) is about 5 times greater than the chance that you will win the Powerball Jackpot.
[snapback]287856[/snapback]​

I think I'll buy at least 5 tickets then! :sign:

-Rob

heh, if I win, I'll fly everyone to vegas for a big 'ol herf, with all the casa fuente cigars on me!